Ral Partha 25mm landsknechts size comparison/advise

Started by Edmund2011, 05 April 2020, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edmund2011

Hello everyone!

I hope you and your families are safe and well.

I am painting some old 25mm Ral Partha landsknechts, some of the references can be seen here:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/23-ral-partha-historical-renaissance-291014424

I am searching for some more renaissance figures that can be used with them. They are 25mm to the top of the head without counting the base. My impression is that current 25mm/28mm figures are much bigger... but I don't play with 28mm and don't know. Maybe the old (80s) GW Empire range could fit?

I would welcome any advice or photo/guide comparison you could share.

Thanks!!
Ed

Techno

Hmmm....

Partha's figures were (I think) always slightly smaller than 'the rest', Ed.

Ironwind Metals are still doing quite a few of the old Partha figures....might be worth a look ?
My only other thought would be Wargames Foundry...They do some of the 'old' Citadel figures, I believe.

'Fraid my knowledge of more recent manufacturers is just about non-existant....But some of these nice chaps on the forum might well be able to point you at something suitable.

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Everything I've bought over the past 20 years towers over my old Ral Partha minis, so I think you only option will be to see what Ironwind still have in production, or else other "vintage" manufacturers. Not sure what to suggest though, Hinchcliffe and Essex will still be too tall and Minifigs will look like blobs alongside the Ral Partha sculpts. Perhaps someone else on the forum can suggest alternatives?

sunjester

Sorry, I meant to say, I think Ironwind have changed their name to Ral Partha Europe now.

pierre the shy

No expert on this but years ago I bought whole lot of second hand Redoubt Enterprises 25mm Landsknechts at a convention for bit of opposition for a mainly Front Rank Burgundian army. The Front Rank stuff is more 28mm but the Redoubt stuff is definitely more 25mm in size from feet to top of their headgear.

https://www.redoubtenterprises.com/product-category/renaissance/infantry/

I have not dealt with the manufacturer myself. 

Good luck in your search Ed.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Maybe you could try some of the scale creep 20mm plastics as rear rankers, Dark Dream (listed as 24mm) and Red Box (listed as 24.5mm) both have landsknechts:-

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=9

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Edmund2011

06 April 2020, 12:11:41 AM #6 Last Edit: 06 April 2020, 12:16:49 AM by Edmund2011
Thanks for your comments.

Quote from: Techno on 05 April 2020, 07:37:35 AM
Ironwind Metals are still doing quite a few of the old Partha figures....might be worth a look ?
My only other thought would be Wargames Foundry...They do some of the 'old' Citadel figures, I believe.

yes RAl Partha Europe is selling some RP old figures, but not the Condottiere/Renaissance range.  The Wargames Foundry option is good!

Quote from: sunjester on 05 April 2020, 08:36:21 AM
Not sure what to suggest though, Hinchcliffe and Essex will still be too tall and Minifigs will look like blobs alongside the Ral Partha sculpts.

Thanks, I take note :)

Quote from: pierre the shy on 05 April 2020, 09:07:00 AM
The Front Rank stuff is more 28mm but the Redoubt stuff is definitely more 25mm in size from feet to top of their headgear.

Ok, thanks!

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 05 April 2020, 11:23:08 PM
Maybe you could try some of the scale creep 20mm plastics as rear rankers, Dark Dream (listed as 24mm) and Red Box (listed as 24.5mm) both have landsknechts:-

I'm really considering using Dark Dream Studios with them. I have their landsknecths figures you show for another unifinished project, but not with me right now, so I can not put DDS and RP together. Ral Partha are 25mm tall but with more volume and size compared to 1/72 figures. I think they will not mix well in a unit, but for a game they may share the battlefield.

Anyway, I keep exploring the lead market, as I may buy some 25mm metal swiss for a skirmish game or something similar.

I found this webpage with a list of brands for the period:

https://www.madaxeman.com/main/28mm_Renaissance_suppliers.php

And they mention a manufacturer called "Hoka Hey" that sells a 28mm Renaissance range produced in the past by Pendraken:

"HokaHey have picked up the range of Elizabethan figures originally designed and carried by Pendraken" and there is a link to Timeline

https://www.timelineminiatures.co.uk/page/border-reivers

I didn't know about it!

Orcs

Parkfield Miniatures do some Burgundians/ Swiss wars in 25mm, although they are not taking orders at the moment.

https://www.parkfieldminiatures.co.uk/
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Edmund2011

Big Insect

One of the considerations - other than size - is the period you are going to use your Landsknechts in.

Early on they looked a lot like Swiss - limited slashing, smaller berets, fewer feathers, tight hose and the classic late C15th/early C16th tight short corslets and open faced sallets and burgonets.

You them move into what I call the early C16th - pre-French Wars of Religion period - where you get a lot of the classic figures that manufacturers sculpt - baggier sleeves & knee-length slashed hose - the hound-dog slashed shoes, some ribboning and the larger felt hats.

The you have the Plunderhosen period - or wars of religion - dress. With full long plunderhosen, huge baggy slashed sleeves & tunics, more pointy shoes and a variety of soft hats - some even furry.

I'd thoroughly recommend the John Richards - Landsknecht Soldier book from Osprey - Warrior series no.49.
Probably the best authority on their dress & reasonably accessible - the illustrations by Gerry Embleton are also really helpful, as Gerry is an authority on historical military dress, and if you understand how the clothing is made you also can understand how to paint it.
Too often you see table-top Landsknechts painted in the weirdest of ways and they just don't look right - usually because the painter doesn't understand that the colour of the slashing is an under-garment pulled through the slash.

Nice 'classic' gaming figures those old Ral Paltha figures I had a few in the past.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Edmund2011

Thanks for the comments and useful information Big Insect.

I am thinking of playing in the 1500-1550 period so I think the figures of RP fit there well.

Sure, I will check that Osprey as soon as I can, thanks for the suggestion. The one I have is Men-at-arms 58 The Landsknecths.

Quote from: Big Insect on 15 April 2020, 11:35:09 AM
Too often you see table-top Landsknechts painted in the weirdest of ways and they just don't look right - usually because the painter doesn't understand that the colour of the slashing is an under-garment pulled through the slash.

Ah! yes, yes, the slashing showed a different colour below. Very good point.  :-bd

Quote from: Big Insect on 15 April 2020, 11:35:09 AM
Nice 'classic' gaming figures those old Ral Paltha figures I had a few in the past.

I fell in love with these figures and bought a bunch in an auction long ago. I want to use them now in a game. Mixing with 1/72 plastics I have enough figures for a battle-game, but as I don't have almost any time to paint (or play) I have changed the project to a skirmish-game, more easy to be done (hopefully) .

Big Insect

Small skirmish games in the Renaissance can be great fun.

Do you have a set of rules you are intending to use?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

I may have some spare old Minifig figures from the 80's that fit pretty well with Ral Partha. Can you give me an idea of what you're looking for? What I have is unpainted and still in nice clean shape.

Here are some I painted for my Milanese army.

I'll help if I can.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.