paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Big Insect

Very nice Terry

On the skirmish rules I have played 'Backswords & Bucklers' by Christopher Cale - published by Mythmere Games - in the past.

It is set in Elizabethan England (London) and is a tavern brawling skirmish set - very good.
There is a section where you can upgrade the game to include magic & superstition - but it is not an essential part of the game - although they were very superstitious times!
I played it in respect of a Wars of Religion spy campaign - e.g. Christopher Marlow, Dr John and The Queens Conjurer - type thing.
But it could easily work for Landsknechts.
I must admit I only have Book 1 in hard-copy - these are Basic Rules - the other companion set are a series of 5 'jobs' or adventures that your hero(s) have been hired to perform.

You can apparently download a free PDF copy of the basic rules at this site: http://www.lulu.com/gb/en/shop/christopher-cale/backswords-bucklers-book-one-basic-rules/ebook/product-17402084.html
The companion book is also available - at a cost of £2.50 from Lulu: http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-cale/backswords-bucklers-adventure-book-one/paperback/product-20121464.html

It was a hoot and a great use of so many nice 28mm Elizabethan style figures  :)

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Edmund2011

24 April 2020, 01:59:50 AM #18 Last Edit: 24 April 2020, 02:02:33 AM by Edmund2011
Quote from: Big Insect on 21 April 2020, 01:32:48 PM
Do you have a set of rules you are intending to use?

I plan to use En Garde!, as it seems fun and they have "Landsknecths warband". Oddly being an skirmish game (5-20 figures) their basic weapon is the pike. I can't see how they use a pike in a man to man combat   :-  so I will use figures without pikes.  ;)

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 April 2020, 02:06:52 PM
Pikeman's Lament is fun...

Thanks Lemmy. I've never played it and seems fun, but I'm not considered it as I'm planning use 12-15 figures per side, and PML is intended for more (between 40-60 in units) I think.

Quote from: Big Insect on 22 April 2020, 09:07:42 AM
On the skirmish rules I have played 'Backswords & Bucklers' by Christopher Cale - published by Mythmere Games - in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark. I have the game, in the RPG folder so I had not even thought about using it with miniatures! I have cheked it, and the RPG part is not what I'm looking for now in the project, but the Tavern part and the scenarios ideas are really good. I am going to use them in my RPG games (RQ, Pendragon)  :-bd and also for small skirmish figures games, to create a quick MacGuffin.

So, for now the idea is En Garde! with plots taken from B&B.

Quote from: Terry37 on 22 April 2020, 03:33:14 AM
I may have some spare old Minifig figures from the 80's that fit pretty well with Ral Partha. Can you give me an idea of what you're looking for? What I have is unpainted and still in nice clean shape.

I'll help if I can.
Terry

Hi Terry, I am looking for anything not Landsknecht: swiss, french, italians, italian wars generic troops, civilians, etc. ;) If you can share or send me some pics of them it would be great.

And very nice painted figures! :)