Wargaming like its 1999.....

Started by pierre the shy, 04 April 2020, 03:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Its Saturday here (if you are still following which days of the week it is  ;)) so having done my duty by lining up and getting the weekly shop from Pak & Save (even got 1.5kg bag of flour and some yeast) I sat down with the first toolbox of 15mm DBM stuff to rummage through - Selucids.

Blimey, this does take me back 20+ years to the 1990's when I first started playing DBM.....most people here used 15mm Essex Minatures figures with that very distintive pose of right hand by the head gripping an upright pike/spear etc.....and what I have is 100% Essex

Apart from lots of bent weapons 95% figures are OK. A few might need reattaching to their bases or other minor repairs but otherwise a lick of brown paint where the original paint has flaked off (where bends have occured to spears and pikes) and they are good to go since all are on 40mm base frontages  :-bd

Looking at the Selucid and Successor DBA army lists I can cover everything apart from a 4 horse scythed chariot, but I can easily extemporise one from a few bits of spare card and some pics off the net. Overall got enough for about 4 complete DBA armies.....

I wonder if they could fight some of Paul's Punic War armies when we are allowed out again? being bigger they might purhaps be able to get +1 for hitting from above?? mind you I'm not sure I can find that tactical factor in the DBA 3 rulebook  ;) 

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

:-bd

I'm pretty certain you won't be able to find that rule either ;D

I've played 6mm vs 15mm in DBM so I don't see why we can't do 10mm vs 15mm in DBA ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

It's only a game and if you're happy with it, why not :).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I frequently play 10 vs the rest of the world.
10mm get a +1 as there are more on a base...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

pierre the shy

Got enough troops to do any Selucid, Asiatic or Macedonian Sucessor or Ptolemaic armies and can easily field a 3 army BBDBA outfit, around 50% of each army are phalangites (blokes with long pointy sticks to all you non-greeks). Need to rebase a few elements to get 2 x Hoplite Sp and 2 x Galatian Wb but nothing major....Some DBA terrain features are next on the to do list, then onto the table. 

Digging round the old DBA Fantasticus site brings up some interesting stuff for a quick solo campaign.....

paulr

Would you care to share the link(s) for that solo campaign ;)

pierre the shy

Did the next army - Sassinids - pretty much the same as the Successors with mainly just straighting out spears etc and changing a couple of bases to get required number of figures for 2 x 7Hd levy infantry bases.

Can do 2 complete armies of Sassinids if I "borrow" elephants from the Successors.

The last lot - Medieval Hungarians - are going to require the most work as they are in fairly dire condition - total rebasing at least, but enough figures to do an associated Kn based army - Serbs or Imperial Germans maybe?

Sorry Paul I didn't see your earlier post.....the old DBA Fanaticus menu page can be found here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080811165307/http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/index.html

All the Punc War campaigns and their associated maps can still be downloaded  :-bd

paulr

09 April 2020, 08:05:12 PM #8 Last Edit: 09 April 2020, 09:10:27 PM by paulr

Some very useful stuff there :-bd

pierre the shy

After an overnight soak the Hungarians have now all been easily removed from their original cruddy bases......had another look at numbers and there are almost more knights than you can shake a stick at....

So I can manage to field a BBDBA force of Hungarians, Serbians and German Imperialist lists (including 6Kn double based wedges ;) ), but all will need rebasing.

No idea who painted the originals but they are very nicely done....will be well pleased with this lot once repurposing completed :)