76mm at 12,000 fps

Started by Last Hussar, 28 March 2020, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Yes, if anyone was in any doubt as to why "shoot and scoot" was a thing that should help clear it up :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 29 March 2020, 04:53:37 PM

You can also imagine why rounds like APDS suffered accuracy issues, and why worn aryillery barrely produce "shorts".
Shades of Stanley Unwin ......  ;D ;D ;D

Sorry, Steve. Couldn't resist it.  ;) :) ;D
Here's some footage where you can actually hear the "tumbling."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Orcs

Quote from: fred. on 29 March 2020, 07:29:13 PM

The deflection of the 152mm shell off the  water melons was astonishing

I am easily deflected by nice melons. :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Last Hussar

Ignoring Orcs...

I went looking for a video of a arrow flight for comparison. Found the same guys recreating Japanese legend

https://youtu.be/kuOEpC4u6Tg
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Wulf

Quote from: Last Hussar on 29 March 2020, 11:02:19 PM
I went looking for a video of a arrow flight for comparison. Found the same guys recreating Japanese legend
One of the ways of testing the 'balance' of a bow/arrow combination is by shooting through a piece of paper & seeing how close to circular the hole is... not very, usually... There's a thing called the 'archer's paradox' - the arrow doesn't fly through the middle of the bow (well, in modern bows it can) but along the side of it, but the string does push the back end toward the middle. Result, the arrow is pushed at an increasing angle off to the left (usually, if you're right handed & using a Western bow) side. This is compensated for by the weight & therefore inertia of the arrow head, and the 'spine' or stiffness of the arrow. It's fun getting that balance...  The arrow whips back & forth a few times, often visibly, then sorts itself out, hopefully before it reaches the target. Shooting at very close ranges can result in arrows at very unexpected angles in the target!

Last Hussar

That was the reason I was looking. I was told some 30 years ago an arrow has the most complex flight pattern in The first few meters we know of

GNU PTerry

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 March 2020, 07:38:06 PM
Yes, if anyone was in any doubt as to why "shoot and scoot" was a thing that should help clear it up :D

There's always one watermelon coming for revenge.

Last Hussar

I can't be bothered to make the meme - just imagine Liam Neeson with a watermelon for a head.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data