76mm at 12,000 fps

Started by Last Hussar, 28 March 2020, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

28 March 2020, 08:45:26 PM Last Edit: 28 March 2020, 08:47:34 PM by Last Hussar
Ever wanted to track a Sherman round in slo-mo?

Of course you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJ8EoGmLuE

Also don't lay any bets on the Soviet 152mm v watermelons challenge.

(Sorry - I couldn't embed it)
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Steve J

That is so cool! Thanks for sharing :).

Ithoriel

Great find, thanks!

So, is the lesson from this that the Wehrmacht should have added melons, perhaps instead of Zimmerit, to their tanks to deflect 152mm shot?  :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

When I saw the title I though 12,000 ft per second - that's way too high ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Quote from: Ithoriel on 28 March 2020, 09:44:58 PM
Great find, thanks!

So, is the lesson from this that the Wehrmacht should have added melons, perhaps instead of Zimmerit, to their tanks to deflect 152mm shot?  :)

Leon - can you get the Pz IVs remodelled with melons?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leon

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 March 2020, 10:28:56 PM

All over or just two on the front...?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 March 2020, 10:28:56 PM

Make em a tad sticky once hit.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Two lessons here:

* If you plan on hiding behind the watermelon display - ensure they're at least 12 deep.

* Never combine a lab-coat with shorts.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 29 March 2020, 10:49:13 AM
Two lessons here:

* If you plan on hiding behind the watermelon display - ensure they're at least 12 deep.

* Never combine a lab-coat with shorts.

ALWAYS combine a lab-coat with shorts: adds a frisson if intrigue to the lab in the summer months :-/

:-B
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Kiwidave

What I found interesting was the 76mm round see-sawing in flight - what would cause that?

The bow and aft waves were pretty cool too.

Quote from: Kiwidave on 29 March 2020, 02:59:16 PM
What I found interesting was the 76mm round see-sawing in flight - what would cause that?

It should fly virtually flat. I can only think poor manufacture of the round..
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Kiwidave on 29 March 2020, 02:59:16 PM

I think that's pretty standard for most rifle rounds.
Alas I cannot locate a reference now so this is a quick summary from memory.

Bullets / shells shot form a rifle have an early period of instability, then a length of stable flight, followed by a final wobbly stage.

The projectile goes down the barrel "gun barrel" straight (Your mileage may vary if you've gone a while without a barrel change).

As it leaves the barrel it get's a kick known as "Lateral Jump" - the interaction of a recoiling barrel, escaping gas and the shell hitting the atmosphere.
This may knock the projectile slightly off its axis, without significantly affecting the direction of flight.

After a while, the spin of the projectile will line it up, and provide a period of steady flight.
Explosive rounds (having greater mass distributed toward their outside) are likely to stabliise more quickly.

Finally, everything slows down, and the the round starts to flutter again.
Sometimes incorrectly described as "tumbling", a different thing which occurs after an impact.

That steady flight in the middle is efficient, contributing to range an accuracy.
Gunsmiths can control many design features that reduce the length of the initial unstable stage.
This often makes the difference between a great and a poor gun.
Explains why simply elongating the barrel, or increasing the propellant charge doesn't always upgrade the performance of an older piece.

You can also imagine why rounds like APDS suffered accuracy issues, and why worn aryillery barrely produce "shorts".

The same three element flight can be observed in a spin passed Rugby ball, american football, or even a swinging cricket ball.

Kiwidave

Thanks Steve; very informative :)

fred.

Some very cool videos - thanks for sharing.

On the video I think they mentioned that the yaw of the 76mm shell was in part due to the age of the gun 'virtually an antique' I think was the phrase  used.

The deflection of the 152mm shell off the water melons was astonishing - as was the amount of dust and smoke from firing it
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts