Next Project 2020

Started by paulr, 25 March 2020, 12:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Pringle

Quote from: mollinary on 25 March 2020, 04:19:23 PM
Armies for Volley and Bayonet mid 19th Century Europe.

Prussian: fought the Danes 1864, the Austrians 1866 and the French 1870-71

French: fought the Russians in the Crimea 1853-56, Austrians 1859, Prussians 1870-71

Austrians: fought the Italians and French 1859, the Danes in 1864,  and the Prussians and Italians 1866

Italians: Fought the Austrians in 1859 and 1866.

Russians: Fought the French, British and the Turks 1853-56.

Danes: Fought the Prussians and Austrians in 1864.

British: Fought the Russians in 1853-56.

In 6mm, a simple generic army of infantry in blue with blue kepis and light blue trousers can pass muster for a number of different armies (with a few separate flags of the appropriate types if you want):
- Union for ACW
- Danes for 1864
- Italians for the Crimea or 1859 or 1866 (blue kepis, black shakos, who's counting?)
- Greeks vs Turks in 1897

At a pinch and if you're not too fussy about details, you can also press them into service as Hanoverians for their only battle at Langensalza 1866, or to pad out your French garde mobile for 1870, or as Romanian line infantry v the Turks in 1877.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://groups.io/g/bloodybigbattles
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Leon

Quote from: paulr on 26 March 2020, 09:10:16 AM
How well do the TB Line fit in with Late European Medieval range :-

What figures are used for the Spear in these army packs:
- ELM-AP-E Late 100YW English Army Pack
- ELM-AP-F Late 100YW French Army Pack

They fit in great, almost the same height and slightly more heft to them, so they work fine alongside the ELM range.

The spear in both of those packs is from the ELM8 Welsh Spearmen code.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: paulr on 27 March 2020, 03:27:59 AM
Can anyone point me at some good online heraldry sources for the HYW & the War of the Roses

From my mate:
this should be what you need - https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2018/09/war-of-roses-livery-colours-database.html - clink on the Search the Livery Colours Database link. Although it isn't explained the colour under Livery I in the one on the person's right (so left as you look at them) and Livery II on their left.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: mmcv on 27 March 2020, 09:36:01 AM
I'd say fairly accurate, but depends on where in the war you want. Full plate armour didn't really come into use until the tail end of the 100YW in the 15th century, so mail and spears are pretty accurate for the mid war and indeed would still be in use late war amongst the standard infantry and those who couldn't afford full plate. Based on your lists it's the mid period you're aiming for, Crecy to Agincourt, so TB would mix in well, both infantry and cavalry. Later war, Agincourt and beyond you'd start to see more fully articulated plate in use, though much of the infantry would still be similarly attired to their predecessors. So you could always do a couple of extra stands of late dismounted knights if you want to do later battles and swap them out for the rest of the war. Though I'd be fairly happy mixing them myself as people would use whatever was available. I'd say the late medieval range would look more out of place at Crecy than the TB line would at Agincourt.

If you're planning to do WotR as well though I'd maybe suggest using TB line as the mainstay of the 100YW and late medieval as the WotR core. By then full plate was much more common so I don't think the TB Line knights would mix so well there, though the infantry would still work pretty well. I'm not quite so familiar with WotR though so I don't think I could tell you much beyond what a quick Google would find!

I actually have a couple of packs on the way from the late medieval range to try and pad out my crusader forces for variety (assuming not too out of place), so I can send you some pics of them beside TB line troops for comparison. The TB tend to be a little chunkier but I'm hoping not so much as to stand out, we'll see.

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion. I'll probably do one or the other at the moment leaning towards 100YW

If you could pop a couple pics on this thread it would be much appreciated
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Thanks Chris, I'm looking for a 10mm project but a generic army is an interesting approach

Thanks Leon & Lemmy

paulr

Hundred Years War is looking more and more interesting :-\

Several of the armies have a number of variants over the period so I'll have a look what I need to field all the variants

Thanks again for the feedback

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I suspect my next project will be 10mm NATO for Battlegroup Northag - the Falklands range will supply the Brits, Clogies and Belgums and probably Danes...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Chris Pringle

Quote from: paulr on 27 March 2020, 07:28:23 PM
Thanks Chris, I'm looking for a 10mm project but a generic army is an interesting approach

Thanks Leon & Lemmy

Duh, yeah, I meant 10mm - just my own generic blue army with interchangeable flags is in 6mm.

It works for late C19 Dutch, Belgians and Swiss as well, if you're into what-if wars!

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 27 March 2020, 07:22:27 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful discussion. I'll probably do one or the other at the moment leaning towards 100YW

If you could pop a couple pics on this thread it would be much appreciated

Yes no problem, hopefully they'll arrive in the next couple of days and I'll fire some pics up.

It's definitely an interesting period with a lot of variety on offer. One I'd like to do myself at some point in the distant future. I've actually a few bases if billmen and archers (from another manufacturer) as the first 10mm troops I ever painted, though ended up going for the crusades instead.

mmcv

Hey paul, my order arrived today so as promised here are some photos:

This is a mix of the late medieval range unarmoured pike and gallowglass with some TB line infantry:

This is the cavalry - TB line cavalry is a lot bigger and chunkier than Pendraken standard so I probably wouldn't mix them on the same bases. I don't have any from their medieval cavalry range but can see it against some of the other Pendraken cavalry which I imagine use similar horse scales. The black one is from the Norman range, the others are arab cavalry.

Here's the medieval base mixed in with some bits from the Norman range (they're a bit smaller and finer so don't mix as well, but they're likely too early for you anyway).

So overall I'd be happy mixing the infantry between the TB and Medieval range, but the cavalry I'd probably go for different bases, unless the Medieval cavalry is chunkier than the rest of the Pendraken range, I'm sure Leon could confirm that one.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Looking forward to seeing these progress !  :)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

01 April 2020, 07:01:27 PM #27 Last Edit: 01 April 2020, 07:05:28 PM by mmcv
Medieval can be a lot of fun, lots of opportunity for colour and as the infantry tend to be a hodgepodge of different types can mix and match a few different packs together.

Looking forward to seeing what Paul does with the 100YW project!

paulr

Many thanks for the pictures mmcv

I must have been looking at the various packs at bit as I can identify which figures are from which packs at a glance :-B

The TB knights definitely don't mix on the same base with the Normans or the Arabs, I wonder how they compare to the ELM knights :-\

The caparisons are certainly larger than the barding on ELM1 Mounted knights, barded horses; they look more like ELM36 14th Century Knights

It looks like I can use the TB foot but maybe not the mounted :-\ :-\

paulr

Quote from: Techno on 01 April 2020, 05:22:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing these progress !  :)

Cheers - Phil
Seconded :)