Next Project 2020

Started by paulr, 25 March 2020, 12:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

With a couple weeks off from work and nationwide isolation I'm making very rapid progress on my DBA Punic War project http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,19425.0.html

I've therefore started thinking about my next project for this year :-\

This project will be in the one true scale 10mm :)

Our group has reached 'peak rules' with us using so many sets of rules we have some difficulty remembering them when we get round to playing them

I'm therefore limited to new sub-periods for our existing rule sets

There are three rule sets that we use with 10mm figures
- De Bellis Antiquitatis DBA
- Volley & Bayonet V&B
- If the Lord Spares us ITLSU
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

25 March 2020, 12:56:32 AM #1 Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 01:19:00 AM by paulr
DBA

I currently have forces for the First Crusade and am working on the Punic Wars

I tend to collect 6 or more :-[ DBA armies for each period as we tend to play Big Battle DBA and have found the suggested lists of armies from the DBA Campaigns Suggested Six-Player Historical Campaigns very useful

Looking at these and the Pendraken ranges I've done a bit of digging on three possible periods

I'm interested in people's thoughts in general and have some specific questions as well

Norman Conquest 1066AD
III/19a Welsh 580-1149AD, III/72 Anglo-Danish 1014-1075AD, III/45 Pre-Feudal Scots 842-1124AD, III/40b Vikings 850-1280AD, III/52 Normans 888-1072AD, III/52 Western Frankish 888-1072AD

What would people suggest for the following troop types:
- Welsh - General as uchelwyr cavarly
- Pre-Feudal Scots - Galwegian warband
- Vikings - Irish Auxilia
- Normans & Western Frankish
   - formed archers (Bw in DBA)
   - servants, grooms & peasants (Hd in DBA)
   - Gascon javelinmen both as Psiloi on foot and as Light Horse

This does seem quite close in time if not space to the First Crusade

100 Years War 1369AD
IV/16 Scotland 1124-1513AD, IV/62b 100 Year's War English 1334-1414AD, IV/64b Medieval French 1347-1400AD, IV/57b Low Countries 1330-1410AD, IV/76 Early Burgundian 1363-1471AD, IV/68c Aragonese Army 1340-1478AD or IV/68d Castilian Army 1340-1478AD

How do people find using the same figures from the same Late European Medieval range for both sides, e.g. there are only two poses of Dismounted Knights for all sides
The currently released TB line range looks a bit too early to my untrained eye

- Medieval French - Pavisiers Sp in DBA
- Low Countries - Guildsmen with plancon Bd in DBA
- Castilian Army - Jinetes Light Horse

Louis the Spider 1471AD The War of the Roses including the Europeans
IV/83a Lancaster 1455-1458, IV/83a York 1455-1458, IV/82a France Ordonnance 1445-1480AD, IV/85a Burgundian Ordnnance 1471-1477AD, IV/79b Later Swiss 1425-1477AD, IV/13c Medieval German 1440-1493AD   

Again how do people find using the same figures from the same Late European Medieval range for both sides, e.g. there are only two poses of Dismounted Knights for all sides
The currently released TB line range looks a bit too early to my untrained eye

- Lancaster & York - Currours cavalry
- France Ordonnance - Gascon foot skirmishers Ps in DBA
- Medieval German - Petronels cavalry

Is ELM17 Hussite war wagon suitable for a Medieval German war wagon?

What figures are used for the Spear in these army packs:
- ELM-AP-E Late 100YW English Army Pack
- ELM-AP-F Late 100YW French Army Pack

I'll share some thoughts on the other two rule sets once I've done some painting ;)

paulr

Volley & Bayonet

V&B covers the period 1700 to 1890, our group already has extensive Napoleonic forces in 6mm and I have AWI in 10mm

Seven Years War is probably too close in time to AWI

I've experimented with V&B variants for the Sudan and the Indian Mutiny and have some close to playable rules

Unfortunately our group has been lukewarm on both

One or more of the many 19th Century European wars is a possibility. I know very little about this period
What forces would give the most flexibility in terms of opponents and range of battles?

The War of the Pacific probably is best played with specific rules

Last but not least is the American Civil War which is widely played with V&B although I don't think I've played this sub-period with V&B

I do wonder if it is a little one dimensional with infantry, infantry, some artillery, infantry, more infantry and some cavalry :-\

paulr

25 March 2020, 07:12:47 AM #3 Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 07:18:25 AM by paulr
If the Lord Spares Us

Is an older TooFat Lardies' set of rules for the Middle East in WW1 with the company as the unit of maneuver

We already have 10mm forces for the Middle East and Early war in France

East Africa would not be that different from the Middle East, but would have some different troop types and terrain

I was wondering about using them for the Spanish Civil War or perhaps some of the Balkan or other wars in the lead up to WWI (I already have ships for this period)

Was the Spanish Civil War similar enough to the mobile parts of WWI, with more vehicles, or was it really a proto-WWII?

What Pendraken figures could I use for the Ottomans, Greeks, Italians, Bulgarians, Austro-Hungarians in 1900-1913?
I must have a look at some of KTravlos's posts

Or maybe the Greek-Turkish War 1919-1923...

Would they be different enough from WWI to be a worthwhile project?

mmcv

DBA

The TB line would fit in okay, medieval armour was never particularly uniform and certain effective styles never really went out of fashion. So mail and conical or rounded helms will fit most periods, e.g. 100 YW, for a bit of variety. Not everyone could afford the latest and greatest armour styles! Also note that most of the medieval stuff seems to be in the Teutonic section for some reason, in case you didn't look there.

I'd suggest looking in the Early 16th C. English/Scots range as well for some further options in stand ins for the later medieval stuff. The Highlanders particularly.

Some of the late medieval bits from the Celtic fringe (Irish kerns, Welsh spears, etc) could stand in for a broad range from dark to late medieval.

It's even worth pillaging the dark ages bits for early medieval.

Haven't a chance to look into specifics of the ones you mentioned but if you've not explored the ranges above might be worth a look.

mmcv

Other thing I meant to say, there's so many colour and heraldry options with medieval that using similar figures won't look too bad as they'll all be in different colours and patterns of heraldry

Duke Speedy of Leighton

For Galloglas I used ancient British.
Late Roman cavalry work well for dark age heavies, mixed with Picts.

1866 might be a good one?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

Armies for Volley and Bayonet mid 19th Century Europe.

Prussian: fought the Danes 1864, the Austrians 1866 and the French 1870-71

French: fought the Russians in the Crimea 1853-56, Austrians 1859, Prussians 1870-71

Austrians: fought the Italians and French 1859, the Danes in 1864,  and the Prussians and Italians 1866

Italians: Fought the Austrians in 1859 and 1866.

Russians: Fought the French, British and the Turks 1853-56.

Danes: Fought the Prussians and Austrians in 1864.

British: Fought the Russians in 1853-56.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

QuoteOur group has reached 'peak rules' with us using so many sets of rules we have some difficulty remembering them when we get round to playing them

Play Warmaster, xxC and BP.

That way you can play a set of rules *just* different enough that you don't realise you are doing it wrong until halfway through.

"Sorry, are you sure command distance isn't 20cm?"
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

paulr

We've managed to occasionally do that with a much more diverse collection of rules ;D ;D

Thanks, some useful food for though there

paulr

Quote from: mmcv on 25 March 2020, 11:28:43 AM
The TB line would fit in okay, medieval armour was never particularly uniform and certain effective styles never really went out of fashion. So mail and conical or rounded helms will fit most periods, e.g. 100 YW, for a bit of variety. Not everyone could afford the latest and greatest armour styles! Also note that most of the medieval stuff seems to be in the Teutonic section for some reason, in case you didn't look there...

How well do the TB Line fit in with Late European Medieval range :-
Would you be happy to mix them on the same base, to add different poses?
How 'accurate' would mixing the different styles of armour, as suggested by mmcv, be (particularly for the 100 Years War and Wars of the Roses)?

What figures are used for the Spear in these army packs:
- ELM-AP-E Late 100YW English Army Pack
- ELM-AP-F Late 100YW French Army Pack

paulr

Can anyone point me at some good online heraldry sources for the HYW & the War of the Roses

These two are looking front runners for a prompt order to Pendraken

19th Century Europe is probably a longer term project

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 26 March 2020, 09:10:16 AM
How well do the TB Line fit in with Late European Medieval range :-
Would you be happy to mix them on the same base, to add different poses?
How 'accurate' would mixing the different styles of armour, as suggested by mmcv, be (particularly for the 100 Years War and Wars of the Roses)?

I'd say fairly accurate, but depends on where in the war you want. Full plate armour didn't really come into use until the tail end of the 100YW in the 15th century, so mail and spears are pretty accurate for the mid war and indeed would still be in use late war amongst the standard infantry and those who couldn't afford full plate. Based on your lists it's the mid period you're aiming for, Crecy to Agincourt, so TB would mix in well, both infantry and cavalry. Later war, Agincourt and beyond you'd start to see more fully articulated plate in use, though much of the infantry would still be similarly attired to their predecessors. So you could always do a couple of extra stands of late dismounted knights if you want to do later battles and swap them out for the rest of the war. Though I'd be fairly happy mixing them myself as people would use whatever was available. I'd say the late medieval range would look more out of place at Crecy than the TB line would at Agincourt.

If you're planning to do WotR as well though I'd maybe suggest using TB line as the mainstay of the 100YW and late medieval as the WotR core. By then full plate was much more common so I don't think the TB Line knights would mix so well there, though the infantry would still work pretty well. I'm not quite so familiar with WotR though so I don't think I could tell you much beyond what a quick Google would find!

I actually have a couple of packs on the way from the late medieval range to try and pad out my crusader forces for variety (assuming not too out of place), so I can send you some pics of them beside TB line troops for comparison. The TB tend to be a little chunkier but I'm hoping not so much as to stand out, we'll see.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I will plug my mate Nik who is a reenactor for WoTR
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Chad

The release of Twilight of the Soldier Kings will now let me start a SYW project at a reasonable cost. Work already underway
on my first Austrian brigades.

Also will be starting on British and Hanoverian units for my 15mm French Revolution armies.

Stay safe all