Next Project 2020

Started by paulr, 25 March 2020, 12:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: paulr on 01 April 2020, 07:51:03 PM
Many thanks for the pictures mmcv

I must have been looking at the various packs at bit as I can identify which figures are from which packs at a glance :-B

The TB knights definitely don't mix on the same base with the Normans or the Arabs, I wonder how they compare to the ELM knights :-

The caparisons are certainly larger than the barding on ELM1 Mounted knights, barded horses; they look more like ELM36 14th Century Knights

It looks like I can use the TB foot but maybe not the mounted :- :-

No worries, wish I'd a sample of the ELM cavalry to share too, I did find I'd a EMM knight who was the same size as the Norman and Arab so no help there.

The foot mix well so I'd recommend using a variety. I'm using four different packs all mixed up for my crusader infantry. Plus a pack of knights as separate bases (for dismounted/attached).

I started my army using a different manufacturer who have chunkier knights so the TB mix okay with them, but wouldn't mix with Pendraken standard cavalry. Leon may be able to weigh in on whether the ELM use the same horses, suspect they do so would be smaller than TB.

How's your plan coming together, any bits you're still pondering over?

fred.

Looking good - I like the mixed foot bases.

The TB Line cavalry is a lot bigger than the Pendraken cavalry. I've found cavalry sizes vary much more between 10mm manufacturers than infantry.

TB cavalry are some of the biggest, similar in size to GW Warmaster Empire cavalry. Pendraken and Magister Militium cavalry are towards the smaller end. But infantry from all 4 work together pretty well. And as well as variation between manufacturers, individual manufacturers aren't that consistent either - GW Bretonian cavalry is much slighter more in size with Pendraken.

All in all if you have separate units its not too noticeable, though odd times opposing bases end up fighting it can suddenly look like giants vs midgets.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mmcv

Quote from: fred. on 01 April 2020, 09:32:00 PM

The TB Line cavalry is a lot bigger than the Pendraken cavalry. I've found cavalry sizes vary much more between 10mm manufacturers than infantry.

TB cavalry are some of the biggest, similar in size to GW Warmaster Empire cavalry. Pendraken and Magister Militium cavalry are towards the smaller end.

I find MM cavalry to be a bit bigger and chunkier than Pendraken, not quite as big as TB but more similar in style to TB than the finer details of Pendraken. Irregular I find closer in scale to Pendraken. Most of my knights are MM, so expanding them with TB is more practical than Pendraken standard. I might experiment with mixing TB and MM on the same base at some point and see how it looks.

Use Pendraken for a lot of the horse archers though as separate bases look fine and Arab and turk horses tended to be smaller anyway.

Once the TB Islamics come out the Mamlukes will get reinforced though!

paulr

Thanks Fred & mmcv

I've decided to not use the mounted TB Line figures as I'm doing DBA armies so the figures really need to mix well either on the element or on adjacent elements :(

I've decided to use some ELM28 Mounted knights, unbarded horses (30) and ELM36 14th Century Knights (22) to add variety to ELM1 Mounted knights, barded horses (85) :)

8 poses for Knights with 4 figures per element should be pretty varied :)

I think I've worked out figures for everything now, I'll let the order sit for a day and review again to see if there is anything I want to tweak :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Excellent, I look forward to seeing what you do with them all. Sounds like you've got a good plan.

paulr

There is one thing I'm having trouble making my mind up on :-\

The plan is to mainly play Big Battle DBA using 3 armies per side so I'm planning on building two French and two English armies covering all the options

I'm also looking at having one ally each fighting with the French and English
I'm looking to build four different allies with the English and French being able to pick one of three of the four as ally for each game:
- Scottish - always allied to the French
- Low Countries - always allied to the English
- Burgundian - mainly allied to the French but were allied to the English (1419 to 1435)

The fourth ally is the one I'm having trouble with, I'm looking for someone mainly allied to the English but also allied to the French of part of the period

At this stage possibilities are:
- Portuguese
- Argonese (perhaps a bit internally focused)
- Castilian (seem to be mainly French allies)
- Navarrese

I'd be interested in thoughts on which of these or any others might fit the fourth ally slot; mainly an English Ally but also allied to the French for part of the war would be ideal :-\

mmcv

Are there any army lists for the Papacy? As the Papal States and Avignon Papacy were involved politically. They were obviously more of a funder than an active engager, but could maybe do some fom of mercenary company army to represent Papal involvement? Or even a standard mercenary army for the time period that could fight for either side if the lists allow. There was a lot of mercenaries around at the time, mostly in the lull periods, but no doubt some partook in the war itself.

Big Insect

Portugal is England's oldest ally - going to the reign of Richard II.
But I am not sure that they also allied with France, but I think having a Free Company force might be helpful here, as Castile had a major civil war for example - with French or English dominated Free Companies supporting either side.
I am not sure about Aragonese allies TBH. But in Spain you could add in a Moorish/Andalusian force maybe?

Bretons and Norman allies might also be an option.

Nice project.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

paulr

The Papacay is covered by the Italian Condotta list and certainly fought the French but doesn't list the English as an enemy :) :(

A Free company is definitely worth looking at :-\

I'll also have a look at fielding both Portugal & Castile as the troop types are similar and how many people can identify their heraldry at sight :-\ ;)

paulr

I've decided I'll go with a suitably international Free Company :)

Looks like I'll need just over 1,300 figures

mmcv

paulr

04 April 2020, 08:23:38 PM #41 Last Edit: 04 April 2020, 08:27:50 PM by paulr
I've done a little background reading on the Free Companies

The largest is estimated to have had 15,000 men :o :o :o
They tried to capture the Pope for ransom, admittedly after he had called for a crusade against them :o
This particular group, Tard-Venus, had besieged and captured towns and defeated at least one french army sent against them

Thanks again for the suggestion, I think that definitely warrants a 12 element DBA army (20 including all the options) ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So, what you doing next week?  ;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Going back to work, working from home :( :)

I've had just over a couple of weeks of pre-arranged leave, "to reduce my leave balance"

Once I've confirmed there are no likely changes to my employment status I'll be ordering my Hundred Years War project
I'd be very surprised if there has been any change

paulr

It looks as though my employment status hasn't changes while I've been on leave and is unlikely to change for the foreseeable future so I've emailed Leon the order for my HYW project :)

My painting will slow a bit as I'm now working from home rather than being on leave