The Battle of Edge Coombe

Started by FierceKitty, 21 March 2020, 02:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Lest people think Lee always wins....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

The village of Edge Coombe is actually occupied by Huxley's regiment of dragoons. They lent some completely ineffectual shooting support at the end.

In the cavalry melee picture, Tarrington's Regiment of Horse on left is about to break following a charge by the already badly depleted Hopton's Regiment (in red). General Hopton's inspired example leading the charge may have made the decisive difference. In the background, Crowell's Ironsides and Rupert's Lifeguard mauled each other, but the victorious Hopton's regiment turned the rebel flank and ultimately decided the battle in favour of the good guys.

FierceKitty

Lord Byron led a well-timed outflanking force on my left, but the Roundheads turned to face in time, and we were fortunate indeed to survive contact. Having lived through the first round, however, the Cavalier horse were no longer hindered by the pikemen....

In picture two,  Cromwell and Rubert continue a prolonged engagement. After the shock of an impetuous charge is over, the Parliamentary troops have the advantage of being disciplined, but the commanded shot supporting the Royalists balance that.

FierceKitty

The Rebel C-in-C, General Fairfax, personally led Hesselrig's Lobsters into the fight against Byron's force, to relieve Sharrock's foot; sadly for heroism, they were caught up in the defeat of the redcoats. (The Lord General is now His Majesty's guest in Oxford, the Royalist HQ - it's a pretty town in the west of England, though its claims to house an important university need not be taken too seriously).

Photographs are lacking for the foot engagement in the centre. Let it be said that there was a big encounter down the line, and Lee's rebels badly outshot my loyalist royalist foot, though without breaking any in time to save the day.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Techno

Both of the above. :)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Looks like a good game and congrats on winning.

Are you at all concerned that Lee, being the tactical mastermind that she is, is letting you win on occasion so as to at least leave you a shed of self esteem, only to crush you in a future engagement?

FierceKitty

She points out that even with her pidgin English she knows a shred from a shed.  ;D

Techno

I heard there was a lot of betting going on on this game....and there are rumours of spot fixing.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 March 2020, 08:01:13 AM
She points out that even with her pidgin English she knows a shred from a shed.  ;D

;D

Bloody autocorrect. Missed that one. So far in writing this short statement I've had to fix six autocorrect mistakes. Not sure if I just have fat fingers or a rubbish phone but seem to spend more time fixing the auto corrects than writing.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Although for us wargamers, a shed of decency might be a good place...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 March 2020, 08:44:01 AM
Although for us wargamers, a shed of decency might be a good place...

Hear, hear!

FierceKitty

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!