Maintaining civilised standards in adversity

Started by FierceKitty, 19 March 2020, 05:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: Orcs on 20 March 2020, 07:58:01 AM
Nearly all flour/rice contains Weevils eggs.  So if they keep it for two long their cupboards will be full of weevils.   :D

Yup, have had this exact issue when I bought a big multi pack of flour for bread making a couple of years back. Ended up having to chuck it along with all the flour in my cupboards. Then had recurrent issues with them if I had flour sitting for ages. I've taken to freezing flour for a few days when I get it and sealing it in airtight containers where I can to try and stop this happening again.

FierceKitty

And microwaves don't kill them, which is a bit alarming to see.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

When I was in Zambia for a month as a child they used to pour the rice in water, stir it up a bit and the weevils would float to the surface. you then skimmed them off and cooked the rice.

Obviously you cant do this with flour.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

I'm with mmcv - freeze the flour for a few days when you first get it. Seems to work.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

" Maintaining civilised standards in adversity"

Not going to lie, it will be difficult.

I'm out of gin.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

sultanbev

"I'm out of gin."

as long as you're not out of unpainted lead, paint and brushes, you'll be fine  :D

Que DM story tommorrow:
Brushes swept away
An unexpected outcome of the pandemic is a run on miniature paint brushes, as suppliers report running out of fine detail brushes. A spokestroll from GHames Verkshup said "It's unprecedented! We may have to revise our figure rerelease manufacturing output, as there is now a danger that unpainted lead piles across the country will be finished, and that according to the latest Hocrus, is armmageddon."

Westmarcher

Started my annual fight against the moss on the lawn today (or should it now be called a 'moss'?). I believe moss may have been used in Medieval times instead of toilet paper. Not quite ready for that ...  I wonder if it's flushable?*   :-\

*(Don't do this at home, kids - it's not).

Quote from: Orcs on 20 March 2020, 07:58:01 AM
Nearly all flour/rice contains Weevils eggs.  So if they keep it for two long their cupboards will be full of weevils.   :D

Two long whats ......?   ;)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

Lawn still too wet to give it a good scarifying and also I aerated last week so don't want to walk on if for a bit, to avoid compacting it again.

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 20 March 2020, 03:25:02 PM
Started my annual fight against the moss on the lawn today (or should it now be called a 'moss'?). I believe moss may have been used in Medieval times instead of toilet paper. Not quite ready for that ...  I wonder if it's flushable?*   :-

*(Don't do this at home, kids - it's not).

Two long whats ......?   ;)

My garden is laid to moss as well.  I thought about using that grass weed a feed stuff, but realised if I killed all the moss the lawn would look more like the Somme than a lawn, so was too frightened to use it.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Best lawn story I've got concerned one of our old neighbours, when we lived near Newark.

Chris, (for it was he) used a strong weedkiller on the little patio he had at the back of his house, to get rid of all the weeds growing between the laid bricks.
All well and good......He then walked across his lawn.....Of which he was immensely proud, to put the sprayer away, in the shed.

Can you see what's coming ?

Yes....a couple of weeks later, there was a trail of dead grass from the patio to the shed......In absolutely perfectly formed footprints, where he'd walked the weedkiller onto the lawn.
He didn't half get in the neck from his wife !  X_X

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Down to our second to last bottle of wine with a steak dinner tonight, spirits remain high as the gin and whisky reserves remain ample and a fresh case of wine on the way.

Freezer full of meat and fish and a fresh veg delivery expected within days. Standards must be maintained...

mollinary

Quote from: mmcv on 25 March 2020, 07:35:55 PM
Down to our second to last bottle of wine with a steak dinner tonight, spirits remain high as the gin and whisky reserves remain ample and a fresh case of wine on the way.

Freezer full of meat and fish and a fresh veg delivery expected within days. Standards must be maintained...

Lucky you! The Wine Society has just cancelled all deliveries until further notice. What happened to the Dunkirk spirit?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mmcv

Quote from: mollinary on 25 March 2020, 08:58:13 PM
Lucky you! The Wine Society has just cancelled all deliveries until further notice. What happened to the Dunkirk spirit?

We use Naked Wines, they've a few cases in offer for regular customers at present, though they had stopped deliveries for a week or two prior to this on, so clearly operating at reduced capacity.

mmcv

What happened to the Dunkirk spirit?

There's an idea, I've not watched Dunkirk yet

Raider4

What happened to the Dunkirk spirit?

Think we finished it off over the weekend? Unless you've got another bottle hidden somewhere?