Covid 19 - solo gaming revival

Started by Sunray, 18 March 2020, 01:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have just knocked off a wee order to Leon,  to flesh out a few post war scenarios.

Our old friend Nik Harwood    used to have a number of "battle groups" - each with 2/3 tanks, 6 stands of infantry, a couple of guns etc
and would throw out the mat for a fast and furious simple solo game.

I am creating a few such post war battle groups, some African, so Latin American - with a "action at twin farms" type narrative .  All you need is an objective - bridge, cross roads,  airfield that needs to be secured.

I paint and base better with a game pending. :)

Steve J

I've got some plans for smallish BKC games, either AVBCW or WWII, but the former is currently floating my boat. The trouble is I have to fit it in around my gardening, DIY and woodworking, all of which I really enjoy. Then there is the small matter of the lead pile. No danger of getting bored for the foreseeable future :D.

Sunray

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Big Insect

Modern South Africa is always a 'fun' and fertile area for small wars actions - we played a fair bit of AK-47 at the club a while back and that allowed for some crazy scenarios.
e.g. Can you get the fleeing President and his close family (& cash) out of a small airstrip in a light aircraft as he avoids getting caught (& lynched) by various assorted small bands of opposing rebels.

1st French Indo-china wars is also a good small war/solo game theatre
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Sunray

Quote from: Big Insect on 18 March 2020, 06:56:15 PM
Modern South Africa is always a 'fun' and fertile area for small wars actions - we played a fair bit of AK-47 at the club a while back and that allowed for some crazy scenarios.
e.g. Can you get the fleeing President and his close family (& cash) out of a small airstrip in a light aircraft as he avoids getting caught (& lynched) by various assorted small bands of opposing rebels.

1st French Indo-china wars is also a good small war/solo game theatre

Indeed !  The Family Sunray Boxing Day war game is now a tradition in our house.  AK47 rules are "bloody simple" in terms of the carnage on the table, but are easy to grasp.  The womenfolk love personality characters.  I have a Harry Palmer (budget Mi6 operator) from a converted Minifig, and a  Felix Leiter CIA operator converted from a Red 3 Egyptian, complete with Carl Gustav SMG slung on his back. Other agents culled from the Pendraken Zombie range.

I have been lobbying Leon for years for a small range of special civilian types based on  Copplestone "Back of beyond" or Bad guys in suits" .  The level of detail that old Techno can craft in a sculpt makes it possible in 10mm

steve_holmes_11

Can we compile a list of games suited to playing over an Email link.

Things like:

Diplomacy
Chess

Generally need to be Igo Ugo, have relatively few items per move, and limited / no recourse to dice, cards etc.

Sunray

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 20 March 2020, 07:09:41 AM
Can we compile a list of games suited to playing over an Email link.

Things like:

Diplomacy
Chess

Generally need to be Igo Ugo, have relatively few items per move, and limited / no recourse to dice, cards etc.

What a splendid idea !  Go for it.

It is also a real treat to read Bat Reps as posted by Big Mac Jack -  always brightens up my day in isolation !  :)

toxicpixie

An email Dippy game would float my boat. I don't have room to keep the board set up but would happily play!

Shame Sandinista isn't running his Malsama campaign any more, that was *ace* :)

Ofc it might help that I won, as the pseudo-not so useless Stuart.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Westmarcher

Having a break from selecting odd items to paint from my lead hillock and currently playing a scenario from the computer game, Combat Mission (I don't have any WW2 minis), subjecting poor Steve Holmes to regular SitReps.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Chris Pringle

Perhaps also worth pointing to my own blog post from 2016 about solo wargaming:
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2016/06/solo-wargaming.html
and to the Solo Wargamers Association review that prompted it:
http://lonewarriorswa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Bloody-Big-Battles-rules.pdf

SWA website here:
https://lonewarriorswa.com/

Sunray

Hi Chris

I have enjoyed the Lone Warrior - some good reads.  Thanks for posting. 

James

GrumpyOldMan

Hello All

The Vassal Game Engine can be used by email and has a large number of game modules available:-

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Modules

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Renaissance

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Category:Miniatures

There are instructions on email in the user manual.

etc.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Glorfindel

Some great ideas here - our gaming group is also having to come to terms with not gathering
for some time and looking at the options.   One idea has been to get out the old 'Napoleon in
Russia' game and play via email...

Chris:
>>Here's what some of our Italian friends are doing

A fantastic site with some very nice ideas / lovely painting.   Thanks for pointing this one out.

Phil