Self Isolation.

Started by Orcs, 18 March 2020, 09:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

OI !!!

Why has 'Comfortably numb' been linked to the cover of 'Dark side of the moon' ?

Cheers - Outraged of Wales.  ;)

toxicpixie

I have no idea, I must admit I was confused as well, but given current circumstances it's unsurprising as I'm basically confused about everything :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

;D ;D ;D ;D

Never mind, Nathan. :)

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

We're now on day two of our full on self isolation (as much as is humanly possible) due to our son being one of the 1.5 million who is at heightened risk from the virus. A few thoughts on the situation so far for us and in general:

- Trying to maintain social distancing from your nearest and dearest in a normal sized house is very tricky. We have 12 weeks of this to go based upon current guidance.
- The info in the letter we received is very clear and unambiguous, so hats off to those responsible for this.
- My wife did the weekly shop ( I normally do it but she's off work due to our situation and fancied a change ) and was surprised/shocked at the behaviour of the over 70's people in ASDA who were barging past and not maintaining social distancing. Have they not seen the news?
- Where we are on the outskirts of Bristol, it is now so tranquil that we hardly hear any traffic in the morning. Absolute bliss!
- The air seems so clean with the reduced traffic and you can really smell the difference. My daily bike ride to keep fit as advised is a pleasure, where normally I'm having to be careful of bad drivers and the pollution.
- I can hear children playing outside with their families, which you normally don't hear.
- With hardly an planes in the sky it seems clearer and certainly quieter (we are near the approach route to Bristol airport).

So there are a few upsides to what is a serious situation. I hope everyone stays safe and follows the government advice.

mmcv

I've been quite enjoying watching and listening to all the birds* out the window while working.

Might have to have a game of Wingspan this weekend.

*Cue vulgar jokes.

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 27 March 2020, 03:44:59 PMI hope everyone stays safe and follows the government advice.

And the same to you and your family, Steve. :)

Take care.

All the best - Phil.

Raider4

Quote from: Steve J on 27 March 2020, 03:44:59 PM
. . . and was surprised/shocked at the behaviour of the over 70's people . . .

Sadly, I'm not surprised at this.

fred.

We've been doing the self-isolation shielding thing for 10 days now - as we expect my wife to be on the 1.5m extremely vulnerable list - not that she has had a letter yet.

We've barely been out beyond the garden in that time. I did one Tesco trip last Friday for a prescription and some bits of food. Daughter has been out a few times for exercise - which in her case is sprinting up the street for a short distance, walking back and repeating. I'm sure this amuses / confuses the neighbours. She has been able to borrow some training hurdles and has been doing drills in the garden, but there isn't enough space to do full runs - we might take then down to the football fields at the bottom of the street at the weekend.

We haven't thought about doing social distancing within the house, as we have just avoided contacted with the outside world to try to reduce the risk as much as possible.

We have an online shop due on Sunday - and will be interested to see what comes. A neighbour got us some loo roll (hurrah) and milk during the week, but before then (without any panic buying) we have been fine with the normal weekly shop levels of food in the house. The whole panic buying thing is strange - I just don't think people have any idea how much of certain things they use or need. And once you see other people getting stuff, and bare shelves, then survival instinct kicks in and you feel you must get stuff. We will see what comes on Sunday and then decide if being good and not panic buying was fine, or we will just feel stupid for not grabbing stuff when everyone else did.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

QuoteWe haven't thought about doing social distancing within the house

Fred, the advice in the letter is for family to social distance in the home and if possible, sleep in seperate beds, hence my sleeping downstairs for the foreseable future. A small sacrifice but an important one.

Westmarcher

Looking for something to cheer you up during self isolation? If you are on Facebook, search for Readers Wives (particularly 24 March 2020).   ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.