Think of a word!

Started by Norm, 17 March 2020, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

It's funny, you don't have to especially think of a word - the brain so often does it for you.

I had a box lid with 6 tank bodies and 6 turrets, I was spraying them with 3 colours using a thinned primers (airbrush),  so they were quite wet.

My hand knock the box, which caused all the bits to slide into one corner, touching each other.

In a desperate rescue attempt, I grabbed the the box, which tipped some of the contents onto the floor.

Without even thinking, I was able to say a word that didn't fix anything, but made me feel instantly better and instilled a sense that it was the models that were just so stupid! 

How clever is that!

petercooman

Norm

17 March 2020, 02:30:08 PM #2 Last Edit: 17 March 2020, 02:36:09 PM by Norm
Wrong letters and in the wrong order and nowhere near industrial enough.

I'm having a cup of tea now, so order to the universe is restored and so "oops, never mind' will do just fine instead.

Did I really just say that!

Raider4

A good curse in the right circumstances can be enormously stress-relieving.

What I object to are the morons who's every third word in normal conversation starts with an "eff". Very tiresome.

FierceKitty

Or who fail to differentiate who's and whose. Good business for glaziers, I suppose.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

Quote from: FierceKitty on 17 March 2020, 04:48:15 PM
Or who fail to differentiate who's and whose. Good business for glaziers, I suppose.

Why do you always do that?

Raider4

17 March 2020, 04:56:26 PM #6 Last Edit: 17 March 2020, 04:58:27 PM by Raider4
Never mind, a simple mistake.

FierceKitty

Techno

Quote from: Raider4 on 17 March 2020, 04:46:10 PM
What I object to are the morons who's every third word in normal conversation starts with an "eff". Very tiresome.

Agreed...Though I'm often guilty of using industrial language when I'm pushing putty about.....And not just when I stick a brand new 10a blade into my finger. ;)

The word that CAN drive me right round the bend is "Like".

"Like,I was walking down the street, like, and like this bloke, like, came up to me ,like".....etc etc .

I'd rather folk went back to using the simple..."...er "

And then......There's "innit ".......ARGHHHHH !!!!!

Cheers - Phil. ;)

FierceKitty

You should hear some of the gibberish my fellow SA "English" speakers commit...or maybe you shouldn't. You need your peaceful sleep.

mollinary

Quote from: Techno on 17 March 2020, 05:32:33 PM
Agreed...Though I'm often guilty of using industrial language when I'm pushing putty about.....And not just when I stick a brand new 10a blade into my finger. ;)

The word that CAN drive me right round the bend is "Like".

"Like,I was walking down the street, like, and like this bloke, like, came up to me ,like".....etc etc .

I'd rather folk went back to using the simple..."...er "

And then......There's "innit ".......ARGHHHHH !!!!!

Cheers - Phil. ;)

If I recall correctly, 'like' was also a somewhat unexpected habit of the late lamented Queen Mother!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I think my record is 3 minutes without repeating myself.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

My  ex-wife's family come from "realty up north", ( Carlise/shap etc) and up there a sentence is not grammatically correct unless it has at least 2 "Loike's" in it. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mollinary

Quote from: mollinary on 17 March 2020, 06:21:51 PM
If I recall correctly, 'like' was also a somewhat unexpected habit of the late lamented Queen Mother!

In fact I didn't recall correctly, and did HM an injustice! It was my own "bete noir"  that HM used. The insertion of 'You know' after every phrase!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Elliesdad

Many years ago when I worked in central government - the Jobcentre - we had a boss who over-used the word "actually".
Once, in a presentation to 50+ staff (so, I'm guessing a fairly stressful time if you're not happy with public speaking) his record was 5 actually's in a single sentence.
We looked each other - "what on Earth is he saying?" - and started keeping count of the actually's with 5-bar gates.
We gave up at 130 as he plainly had no idea whatsoever.

Strangely enough he never gave another presentation.

Geoff