Les Francais arrivent

Started by Scorpio_Rocks, 09 March 2020, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

First off, I did not mean to swipe this thread, just thought my bits might be helpful.

That has been a slow developing army as I get sidetracked so easily. The figure of Philippe in prison is taken from a scene in the 1998 movie, which I was originally basing the army on. Now I want to do it as a NYW French army as well as optional elements for "The Man in he Iron Mask".

Love the idea of he Cuirassiers ni helmets!!! My British army will have he Scots Greys in pot and cuirass as they are mentioned as wearing such. Have some more extra guys in pots and Cuirass, so might just follow your lead here!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Scorpio_Rocks

After an unexpected "essential" journey by my painter more French have arrived!

more by Scorpio Rocks, on Flickr
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 10 March 2020, 01:12:08 PM
Thanks chaps will hunt out some pens to touch up the flags' edges

I use a Sharpie, a big one.

I do the edges of the flags before gluing them in place. It makes for a neater finish.

My Ego forbids a signature.

fred.

Good to see more progress on this project, always good to see the LoA figures.

I do like the green and grey unit in the last photo.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Really impressive painting.  8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Techno

Very nice, indeed !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

DHautpol

As others have said, these are very nice and will look very impressive deployed for a game; it would be nice to see a photo of them in action.

I love the dog on one of the command bases, I'm very tempted to get some of the Pendraken cats and discretely place them on my model buildings.  i recall seeing a game at SALUTE, I think, which had a flock of sheep moving around the battlefield.

I can echo the comments of others about colouring the edges of the flags, it makes a huge difference.  I use a thinnish wash of an appropriate colour and just drag the brush along the edges; I sometimes found with the pens that you would get a little bit of white left that you just couldn't get at with the pen.

I should point out that in this period the French artillery wore grey; the blue came in about 1720, I think.
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: DHautpol on 08 June 2020, 11:28:02 AM
I love the dog on one of the command bases, I'm very tempted to get some of the Pendraken cats and discretely place them on my model buildings.  i recall seeing a game at SALUTE, I think, which had a flock of sheep moving around the battlefield.

This is well worth doing, and is very easy. The dogs and cats are great for adding to command bases (or for wizards) or for terrain. The various farm animals work well based up, in small groups to add some local colour to a table. And for some scenarios can act as objectives.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Scorpio_Rocks

Quote from: DHautpol on 08 June 2020, 11:28:02 AM
it would be nice to see a photo of them in action.

I agree, as soon as we are allowed to meet up again we have a big battle booked!

Quote from: DHautpol on 08 June 2020, 11:28:02 AMI love the dog on one of the command bases,

Thanks, yes its actually Pendraken's Prince Rupert and Boye - it is after all a "french" poodle... 

Quote from: DHautpol on 08 June 2020, 11:28:02 AMI should point out that in this period the French artillery wore grey; the blue came in about 1720, I think.

Yes (these are working in just their waistcoats/undercoats having discarded their grey top coat/justacorps in the heat... Honest ;) )
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Jesus