Covid-19

Started by barbarian, 05 March 2020, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Know what you mean, Ian.

Can't stand 'silence' when I'm pushing putty around....Either listen to a talking book.....(H2G2, at the mo'.....For the umpteenth time).....A bit of rock, prog rock, or sometimes classical.

Can't really listen to the radio, down here, at the mo'.....It's 'stuck' on 5 Live...and that's just too depressing.  X_X

Had an unexpected visitor (delivery man) this afto'......"Do you know where 'X' is ?".......Yes, half a mile thataway....(Bugger off !) ..UGH ! He touched our gate...and the latch...and the back door handle !
I mean...We don't know where he's been !  :o ;)

Out with the 'disinfectant' spray, after he'd gone.  :)

Cheers - Mr Paranoid.

Orcs

So Prince Charles and I presume the rest of the Royal Family get Covid 19 Tests on the NHS, when the NHS workers we need back at work can't get them

Bloody Typical.  >:( >:( >:( >:(
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

New Zealand is in lock down for the next 4 weeks and it is eerily quiet

We live near a 'busy' highway and normally there is background traffic noise that you just ignore

Not today, quiet except for the occasional vehcile

Motorways at what would have been rush hour in Auckland, our largest city
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Good to see people taking it seriously. Wife was walking the dog earlier and still a lot of cars on the roads round here.   :-q

Raider4

Quote from: Orcs on 25 March 2020, 08:24:08 PM
So Prince Charles and I presume the rest of the Royal Family get Covid 19 Tests on the NHS, when the NHS workers we need back at work can't get them

Well, I expect it's like the entrance exams to the top universities - Q1) Is the current Queen of England your direct ancestor? If "Y", you win!

hammurabi70

Quote from: paulr on 25 March 2020, 08:36:39 PM
New Zealand is in lock down for the next 4 weeks and it is eerily quiet

We live near a 'busy' highway and normally there is background traffic noise that you just ignore

Not today, quiet except for the occasional vehcile

Motorways at what would have been rush hour in Auckland, our largest city

Ooh, gosh!  Don't recognise it at all.  I guess it has changed a bit since I lived there in 1989!

pierre the shy

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 25 March 2020, 11:36:41 PM
Ooh, gosh!  Don't recognise it at all.  I guess it has changed a bit since I lived there in 1989!

It sure has...the left hand side pic shows Symonds St/Upper Queen St going over the big SH 1 junction while the right hand one is the main approach to the southern end of the harbour bridge with Westhaven marina in the left background.

Amazing to see them totally deserted. So far NZ seems to be very compliant with the Level 4 stay at home order.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 25 March 2020, 04:15:09 PM
Know what you mean, Ian.

Can't stand 'silence' when I'm pushing putty around....Either listen to a talking book.....(H2G2, at the mo'.....For the umpteenth time).....A bit of rock, prog rock, or sometimes classical.

Can't really listen to the radio, down here, at the mo'.....It's 'stuck' on 5 Live...and that's just too depressing.  X_X

Had an unexpected visitor (delivery man) this afto'......"Do you know where 'X' is ?".......Yes, half a mile thataway....(Bugger off !) ..UGH ! He touched our gate...and the latch...and the back door handle !
I mean...We don't know where he's been !  :o ;)

Out with the 'disinfectant' spray, after he'd gone.  :)

Cheers - Mr Paranoid.

No Phil, just being sensible. 

If you have to go the shop-  wear waterproofs/cap spayed  with a disinfectant - gloves and (tip from a dentist) a good paper dust  mask that has been sprayed on the outside.  Recommend Dettol spray if going near the face/skin.   It is effective against flu virus - might just  lessen infection odds against COVID 19 - who knows?

Spray footwear- its were a lot of the droplets fall.

When home - disinfect "outdoor shopping clothing"and leave to dry in a warm room.  A bit like NBC survival  drills!

Secondly - turn up the heat.  More logs on the fire.  Hot showers. The virus does not survive long outside a host body  if exposed to  a very warm dry environment

All these measures add a +1 to survival chances.

Keep safe and pray for a Spring/Summer that has high temperatures, dry days  and clear skies.  Global warming might just save us.

James

Orcs

Quote from: Sunray on 26 March 2020, 01:25:47 AM

Keep safe and pray for a Spring/Summer that has high temperatures, dry days  and clear skies.  Global warming might just save us.

James

Australia are on lockdown and the weather there was 21C today rising to 26C at the weekend, It looks unlikely that a normal British Spring/Summer will have much effect against it. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Norm

The UK Government has just ordered 10,000 ventilators from Dyson, plus the 1000 they are donating for free. Apparently these should come on line some time in April - I imagine this will be the line in the sand (or at least the start of it) of keeping deaths to around 1 to 1.5% and for the country to get into a stronger position to manage critical care.

It is amazing what can be done when under a 'national emergency' environment  and minds and resources are committed to a single purpose. Well done all those involved in putting that together.

Techno

Quote from: Sunray on 26 March 2020, 01:25:47 AM
Recommend Dettol spray if going near the face/skin.   It is effective against flu virus - might just  lessen infection odds against COVID 19 - who knows?

Hi James....I was only thinking last night,"I wonder if 'ordinary' Dettol disinfectant would kill a virus".......for use when the 'proper' surface cleanser runs out.
(Just put some in the sprayer and top it up.) Got a huge bottle of that (left in the MIL's kitchen.)

According to Dettol, there's a 99.9% chance that it will !
We'll just have to put up with the rather overpowering smell. ;)
Von can't STAND the smell of ordinary Dettol....Never mind. ;) :)

I still wish I'd gone and got my half yearly haircut done before 'lockdown'......I'll just have to give myself a Claudia Winkleman fringe !!  ;D ;D ;D

Take care, all. :)

Cheers - Phil.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Detol have been know to say that it's 99.9 because they don't know all of the germs, note NOT viruses.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 26 March 2020, 08:07:10 AM
Detol have been know to say that it's 99.9 because they don't know all of the germs, note NOT viruses.

"Germs" is a catch all term that includes bacteria, helminth  and  viruses. Virus are capsules that contain generic material.  They hi-jack cells in the body and destroy them in the process.

Dettol products have demonstrated  effective against the Coronavirus strains from the same family as the Covid 19.    

Good enough for me.  :)

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 26 March 2020, 07:48:33 AM

According to Dettol, there's a 99.9% chance that it will !
We'll just have to put up with the rather overpowering smell. ;)
Von can't STAND the smell of ordinary Dettol....Never mind. ;) :)

Around here you can get dettol with lavender scent, maybe try that?

seeems to be available there as well
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/261187177

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 26 March 2020, 07:48:33 AM

I still wish I'd gone and got my half yearly haircut done before 'lockdown'......I'll just have to give myself a Claudia Winkleman fringe !!  ;D ;D ;D

I thought about your haircutting habits after I went for a panic haircut before the lockdown, Phil (my first choice barbers was shut and so I went to my second choice one but it was needing cut, anyway).  The hairdresser and I talked so long about Coronavirus that I think she forgot she was cutting my hair. It was so short that I don't think I'll need another for the next 3 months! Moral of the story - if you want a good haircut, never engage the hairdresser in conversation.   

Signed - Baldy Bane   ;D 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.