Covid-19

Started by barbarian, 05 March 2020, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: petercooman on 26 March 2020, 09:27:17 AM
Around here you can get dettol with lavender scent, maybe try that?

seeems to be available there as well
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/261187177

Peter
Dettol added the lavender to attract a dandy customer like.....Techno.   If the product has Chloroxylenol as the "active hitman substance" and isopropyl alcohol - GRAB IT.
Most Reckitt Benckiser products list the bacteria and viruses they kill on the label.

stay safe

James

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 26 March 2020, 09:46:25 AM
I thought about your haircutting habits after I went for a panic haircut before the lockdown, Phil (my first choice barbers was shut and so I went to my second choice one but it was needing cut, anyway).  The hairdresser and I talked so long about Coronavirus that I think she forgot she was cutting my hair. It was so short that I don't think I'll need another for the next 3 months! Moral of the story - if you want a good haircut, never engage the hairdresser in conversation.   Signed - Baldy Bane   ;D 

I'll get your address, Davy......Next time (whenever that's going to be =)) I'll get Chris(tine)... she's genuinely an absolute sweetie....and I genuinely worry about her business, at the mo'...poor lass....to give me a 'doggie bag' of my hair, to send up to you.

Mine's now a sort of faded brown, with an awful lot of gray....Would this work, for you, with the application of 'super-glue ?'  ;D ;D

Anyway...Now back from the new 'lock-down' Tesco's in Cardigan.
Have to say, that it was the best shopping experience for a good few weeks.

Only 50 people allowed into the store at one time.........Made the experience a WHOLE lot less stressful.

Still a number of gaps on some of the shelves.....But nothing I needed to be really concerned about.

What couldn't I find ?
Frozen Sprouts......Not important, in the slightest.......Errrr.....What else ?
No paracetamol....(Heck, we're alright for those....I only looked, just to check.)
Disinfectant....Sanitisers....Nil points.

The fresh meat isle was VERY sparse....But I did get the boys (dogs) their treat for the weekend....and that was about it for 'shortages'.
They even had a decent number of packs of loo-roll....Again, didn't need that...so basically ignored that isle.

I DID find some proper packets of Twiglets.....So life is on the up. :-bd

(I know it was the right thing to do......But I didn't half feel a twerp going around the store with 'creepy' (don't leave any fingerprints on anything) latex gloves on.....But Von had left me a note commanding me to do that !...And James's post was watching out for me.....Thanks, Matey.. :))

Dammit....I meant to pop into the local farmer's co-op, to check whether they'd still got face masks and big bottles of hand sanitisers....I'll pop in on Saturday.

Cheers - Phil

mmcv

Quote from: Westmarcher on 26 March 2020, 09:46:25 AM
I thought about your haircutting habits after I went for a panic haircut before the lockdown, Phil (my first choice barbers was shut and so I went to my second choice one but it was needing cut, anyway).  The hairdresser and I talked so long about Coronavirus that I think she forgot she was cutting my hair. It was so short that I don't think I'll need another for the next 3 months! Moral of the story - if you want a good haircut, never engage the hairdresser in conversation.   

Signed - Baldy Bane   ;D 

As the old joke goes (from 5th century AD at least):

Asked by the court barber how he wanted his hair cut, the king replied: "In silence".

Wise words.

Westmarcher

Quote from: Techno on 26 March 2020, 11:29:22 AM
I'll get your address, Davy......Next time (whenever that's going to be =)) I'll get Chris(tine)... she's genuinely an absolute sweetie....and I genuinely worry about her business, at the mo'...poor lass....to give me a 'doggie bag' of my hair, to send up to you.

Mine's now a sort of faded brown, with an awful lot of gray....Would this work, for you, with the application of 'super-glue ?'  ;D ;D

No need, Phil.  ;D  I've found an old mop which I've cunningly fashioned into a wig, 'Techno style.'  B)

Quote from: mmcv on 26 March 2020, 12:28:44 PM
As the old joke goes (from 5th century AD at least):
Asked by the court barber how he wanted his hair cut, the king replied: "In silence".
Wise words.
Didn't know that - so true!  ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Quote from: Westmarcher on 26 March 2020, 12:44:07 PM
No need, Phil.  ;D  I've found an old mop which I've cunningly fashioned into a wig, 'Techno style.'  B)

An old mop would probably be a vast improvement on what's sitting atop my 'bonce', at this time, Davy.....(Now, where are those scissors that aren't completely blunt......I know, I'll use a new scalpel blade  :-bd......No....Maybe not.) :P

Cheers - Phil.

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

It took more than 2 generations for Great Britain to pay off its war debt from WW2. As well as the human cost, we're going to be paying for this for a long time to come.

Raider4

Quote from: mmcv on 26 March 2020, 12:28:44 PM

Oh $DEITY please, yes please.

Of course, I'm never brave enough to say that myself :(

John Cook

Quote from: Orcs on 26 March 2020, 03:47:52 AM
Australia are on lockdown and the weather there was 21C today rising to 26C at the weekend, It looks unlikely that a normal British Spring/Summer will have much effect against it. 

The first Australian case appeared in Melbourne in January.  That is the height of the Australian summer.  Seasons don't seem relevant.

Sunray

26 March 2020, 01:54:35 PM #519 Last Edit: 26 March 2020, 02:14:49 PM by Sunray
Quote from: John Cook on 26 March 2020, 01:47:26 PM
The first Australian case appeared in Melbourne in January.  That is the height of the Australian summer.  Seasons don't seem relevant.

No.   This not my opinion - there is some  medical evidence. (Yat Sen study etc)
To be clear -

The heat on exposed surfaces lowers the transmission.  The virus cannot survive long on a hot dry surface once it leaves a host body. The droplets dry up.  Damp cool surfaces prolong its survival.

Hence the lower transmission risk from buses, trains, car door handles in warmer climates.  

Note - This has no bearing on person to person infection!  Say 6ft apart or you will end up 6ft under!

Dr James Wilson aka Sunray.

Techno

Yup...The warmth helps.....But Shirley (sic)....isn't it the ultraviolet light that viruses don't like ?

(So why are our friends in the 'anti-podes' (sic) still having problems...After all...It's their Summer.)

Wish I still had all the 'black lights' from the discos I had a hand in running......Mind you, from memory....all those used to show was how much dandruff 'the oiks' had around their collars....YUK !

Cheers - Disco Duck ;)

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 26 March 2020, 02:37:21 PM
Yup...The warmth helps.....But Shirley (sic)....isn't it the ultraviolet light that viruses don't like ?

(So why are our friends in the 'anti-podes' (sic) still having problems...After all...It's their Summer.)

Wish I still had all the 'black lights' from the discos I had a hand in running......Mind you, from memory....all those used to show was how much dandruff 'the oiks' had around their collars....YUK !

Cheers - Disco Duck ;)

A lot of HS assumption is based on the character  and personality traits of the Coronavirus family and their performance with the seasons.
Two mediums of transmission:
1.  Person to person -  does not depend on temperature or weather. 

2.  "neutral surfaces "  the Urban street furniture  threat from -  desks, office tops, stair rails, cash point buttons,  escalator hand rails, tube train hard surfaces , car doors , phones, credit card machines (keep it contactless! ).   You get the picture - which is why you wash hands !!!!!

In general the C strain declines transmission in the summer as the micro droplets on sweaty feverish  hands, sneeze or cough saliva  evaporate before the virus finds a new host.  HM Government are banking on it.  COVID 19 is a bastard.

I don't want to encounter its mutated successor ,  COVID 20 any time soon.

Techno

James....Don't go there. ;)

I want to stop worrying about this sod....Before anything else.

Take care, Matey.

Cheers - Phil :)

mmcv

Quote from: Sunray on 26 March 2020, 04:29:32 PM
I don't want to encounter its mutated successor ,  COVID 20 any time soon.

I'm still waiting for Zombies...lets hope the lockdown keeps them all isolated to their homes at least.

petercooman

With the amount of people mindlessly watching netflix and playing videogames, they are actually zombies, they just don't know it yet  ;D

Well off to watch series on my laptop while i paint, wearing headphones so i don't hear my environment..... wait, what?

Actually, i'm watching picard, quite entertaining.