Covid-19

Started by barbarian, 05 March 2020, 09:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 24 March 2020, 05:53:54 PM
I don't know about you folk......But I can't believe how restricted I feel when, in truth, there's really very little difference to 'normal life', as far as I'm concerned.
Anyone else feel the same ?

Cheers - Phil

Yes Life in the Orcs house is almost exactly the same as normal.  Mrs Orcs works from home, so only change is external meetings are cancelled and her SKype conference calls are a bit slower due to heavier internet use.

I am working normal shifts at the office with the possibility of being aske to work extra ones to cover.  Lots of the team are working from home though.

Lazy step daughter was told not to go in today although she leave the job on Thursday as hope fully moving into rented flat with boyfriend on Friday.  Not sure how that will shape up though. As she effectively spends all the time at home in her room this again has not changed anything

However like Phill it does feel restricted.  Again cos you are not supposed to "Pop in" anywhere.

Filled car up with fuel this morning to be asked by cashier if I had used the plastic gloves when touching Pump nozzle ( I had) and advised to wash hands as I had used the pad on the card machine.

What will be really strange is when I have my 10 days off after nights (assuming no extra shifts required) I will have no clubs to go to are be able to go round to Sunjester to game.  I think I will use the extra time to clear some jobs round the house that nee doing, and perhaps 2 or three complete days painting figures. - Bliss 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

I had been running low on both undercoat and varnish :-SS

My 'local' gaming store didn't have any in stock last week so ordered some in for me

I got an email this morning that they had a arrived in store :)

Fortunately for me my 'local' gaming store is run as part of a Chemists so was still open :D

So after nearly 60km (35 miles) each way, the local was in ' ', I now have enough undercoat and varnish to keep me going for a while :) #:-S

I did feel a little guilty driving past the "essential travel only" signs but full lock down starts at midnight

The store was well set up, hand sanitizer as you enter, feet signs on the floor where to queue and be served, plastic sheet between customers and staff and more hand sanitizer for after you've used the EFT-POS machine to pay
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

25 March 2020, 06:36:55 AM #482 Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 06:47:09 AM by Norm
Quote from: Techno on 24 March 2020, 05:53:54 PM
I don't know about you folk......But I can't believe how restricted I feel when, in truth, there's really very little difference to 'normal life', as far as I'm concerned.
(There ARE an awful lot of folk who are having their world turned totally upside down, at the mo'. :(...Perhaps I'm picking up that 'vibe' from a distance.)

Very strange.

All the 'shops' that I'd normally visit are still open.

I suppose it's because it would seem wrong to pop into the village 'on a whim', and just pick up some odds and sods that I can pick up on the second 'main shop' on Thursday.
(I do need to go out tomorrow to pick up some meds.....I won't feel guilty about doing that.....So I'll probably use that as an excuse to get a paper and some sweets.)

Anyone else feel the same ?

Cheers - Phil

I think the thing that I have  found most noticeable is that your senses as to who is around you and their exact position is are heightened, must be something like old brain kicking in for wariness and protection. If someone has the slightest cough, however 'muffled' there are instant alarm bells and psychological discomfort and I look for the red dot on them to indicate a sniper is about to take them out!

It was interesting that the chap on the news last night was saying that even if current rules allow you to go somewhere, the question still remains is it necessary and if the answer is no, then don't do it, so I suppose it those areas in life where you 'fancy' doing something because you can, that feel the strangest and our own internal discipline or feel of threat will be the most likely thing that we have those strange moments of struggle with.

Saw a youngish woman (compared to me!) on the telly last night, she had an oxygen mask, but the tube was 1" wide, so it may have been a ventilator set-up, but she was making a plea for everyone to stay in, while seriously labouring for her breath - it was a good image to put on the telly, I don't want to be that person and so am more inclined to take every opportunity to avoid as many human contact / exposure moments as possible.

It is interesting to see world responses, India have gone straight to TOTAL lockdown after relatively few deaths, Spain and Italy have become increasingly locked down over a steady period and what is happening there gives us insight into the enormity of what the world faces - in contrast, our response (UK), I see two or more weeks of wasted opportunity and a lack of cohesive support by the general population and I am just left shaking my head in dismay, anticipating a rather bad 2 - 4 weeks ahead because of that and again, I don't want to be part of that, so minimum contact it is, we are really lucky to have a rich and polite internet community in these times of isolation.

I am in a privileged position in which I can self isolate without too much consequence, I have family who can't and I'm sure there are plenty who would wish to be in my position and if offered it, I imagine they would take it and respect it, so it seems a stupid thing to me if I go out and abuse that privileged situation.

I am guessing in the coming days as the situation starts to look visibly worse as those bigger groups of undetected infections currently circulating become ill and the hospitals visibly become overwhelmed, our behaviours will tighten - a sort of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted unfortunately.

In other news, I will spray Confederate ACW infantry today in what looks to be a warm sunny day.

Techno

The lock-down in India !  :o :o :o

Stroll on.....I hope I've misunderstood some of the reports coming from there.

Some (many) of the poorer individuals, and families, appear to believe that starvation is likely to kill them before the virus.

A truly dreadful situation. (And there's me feeling slightly restricted.  :-[ :-[ :-[)

Cheers - Phil  :(

FierceKitty

If I were religious, I'd be praying that creditors would go easy on small businesses over the next few months.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Just been down to the pharmacy, in the local village, to pick up (some of) my pills.

Very weird, to see markings on the floor with, 1.....2....and 3 marked for folk to stand at an acceptable distance from each other....(Damn good idea, though...fully approve.)

When I reached P1, I turned and spoke to the lady on P2........."Strange World now, isn't it ?"......"Frightening," she said. "I've just heard of a death in Cardigan". (Where we do our normal food shops....Hey Ho !)

Returned home, to see if I could find out more...Nope....But I see Prince Charles has now been infected.

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Quote from: Norm on 25 March 2020, 06:36:55 AM
If someone has the slightest cough, however 'muffled' there are instant alarm bells and psychological discomfort and I look for the red dot on them to indicate a sniper is about to take them out!

Bit drastic, I'd expect something like the haz-mat teams in Monsters, Inc.

jimduncanuk

I saw a girl I didn't recognise outside one of my neighbours house, in full gas mask style respirator. She was loading/unloading (not sure which) a car with apparently household items.

Wonder if she was moving in or moving out?
My Ego forbids a signature.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No doubt you'll find out Jim
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: Norm on 25 March 2020, 06:36:55 AM
In other news, I will spray Confederate ACW infantry today in what looks to be a warm sunny day.

Couldn't agree more Norm - I sprayed a whole bunch of 28mm Early Carthaginians yesterday and got a great finish in the warmth & sunshine.

You need to be thankful for small mercies  8)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

Republical Roman bases are sprouting fronds.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 25 March 2020, 12:50:37 PM
I saw a girl I didn't recognise outside one of my neighbours house, in full gas mask style respirator. She was loading/unloading (not sure which) a car with apparently household items.

Wonder if she was moving in or moving out?

Or about to do a supply run to the elderly and/or infirm?

A friend is doing shopping for some neighbours who are in the "at risk" group. One asked if she could pick up milk, bread, sausages, a sink plunger and a three-step step ladder!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: ianrs54 on 25 March 2020, 01:09:09 PM
No doubt you'll find out Jim

Hard to tell from my socially distanced viewing spot.

Just had my daughter and grandson wave at us while driving by the house. He's happy enough to do that just now as its novel. It'll wear off at some point.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Last Hussar

Back to work tomorrow - should have been today, but manager miscalculated the 7 days (I did point it out to her!)  Doesn't matter because we are on half time. One colleague and I will be doing  Thursday Friday this week, and then 3 days (I'm guessing Monday to Wednesday) next week, with other two doing the days we aren't in. This allows us an office each.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Take aradio with you - it gets awful creepy in an office by yourself !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021