Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
28 November 2020, 02:09:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Libertad!, our Spanish Civil War supplement is now available!
310804 Posts in 18057 Topics by 2269 Members
Latest Member: BKC Grenadier
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Painting & Modelling (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | |-+  Paint volume for uniforms on figures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paint volume for uniforms on figures  (Read 1321 times)
hammurabi70
Lieutenant

« on: 05 March 2020, 04:46:42 PM »

I have not painted 10mm figures before.  When painting standard twentieth century figure uniforms, how many figures will a single 17ml pot of paint cover?

Scorpio_Rocks
Lieutenant

« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2020, 05:13:07 PM »

Surely this is impossible to answer!

It depends on how thick you apply the paint, how many coats, how much you water-down before application, colour of undercoat, manufacturer of paint, how much of the figure is that colour, etc.

As a VERY rough estimate a 10mm figure has approximately 1/6th the surface area of a 28mm one - so about 6 times the number of 28mm figures you can normally paint

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
Westmarcher
Major General

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2020, 05:25:46 PM »

What an astonishing question!  Shocked  This is something that has never occurred to me. As Scorpio suggests, what is your experience in other scales?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
hammurabi70
Lieutenant

« Reply #3 on: 05 March 2020, 05:56:09 PM »

What an astonishing question!  Shocked  This is something that has never occurred to me. As Scorpio suggests, what is your experience in other scales?

I am getting a feel for how frequently people have found it necessary to get another pot of paint.  At about 300 in 6mm I am guessing around 40 but what is the experience of people with WWII armies.

paulr
Field Marshal

« Reply #4 on: 05 March 2020, 06:16:22 PM »

A while ago I painted almost 1,000 WWI 10mm figures using paints I had had for a while and I'm still using the same bottles for other projects

I've painted about 3,500 WWII 6mm infantry from 5 different nationalities and didn't use a full bottle on any of them

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
Matt J
Brigadier

...nana?

« Reply #5 on: 05 March 2020, 06:48:22 PM »

The answer is around a 100

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!

Beep
mollinary
Major General

« Reply #6 on: 05 March 2020, 06:54:30 PM »

From my experience, hundreds and hundreds and hundreds. The only things I really ever seem to run out  of in timescales that I notice are basing materials. Individual paint containers are replaced so rarely, they do not really count in any financial calculations I make. That said, I cannot see any way in which the figure would be as low as forty, even if you dipped the figures in the pot and left them there for a day before taking them out!
petercooman
Lieutenant General

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

« Reply #7 on: 05 March 2020, 07:21:34 PM »

I bought a specific tone of blue for my acw union force. About 350-400 figures. Army has been finished for a couple of years, and i'm still using that same paint pot. Must admit it's nearing it's end.

For ww 2, i bought a pot of wehrmacht uniform paint and have done an entire 10mm army with it, then a 28mm bolt action army and then 20 german zombies in 28mm. Stil half a pot left.

Really depends on how much you use and how much you squirt out.
jimduncanuk
Colonel

« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2020, 07:23:29 PM »

I have paints which are at least a decade old, some even older and I have some which I bought at the end of last year and are near done.

I paint figures every day, some 6mm, a lot of 10mm, a few 15mm and a lot of 28mm. Then there are buildings and other terrain.

I probably spend around 10-30 at every show on paint and I do about 9-10 shows a year.

Then there is brushes ...

My Ego forbids a signature.
mmcv
Brigadier

« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2020, 07:31:12 PM »

Really depends on how much you use and how much you squirt out.

Yeah it would be interesting to know how much you're typically squeezing out, I tend to be quite frugal with squeezing out just what I need and use a wet pallet to keep any leftover paint fresh for a while longer. While I'm nowhere near as prolific as many on here, I've yet to run out of a pot, though I've a couple of browns that are starting to run low . But that's after 2.5 years and a lot of spears and horses!

hammurabi70
Lieutenant

« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2020, 08:31:36 PM »

Many thanks to everyone, that was very helpful.  One pot per uniform should be more than adequate.  Cheesy

petercooman
Lieutenant General

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

« Reply #11 on: 05 March 2020, 08:35:48 PM »

Yeah it would be interesting to know how much you're typically squeezing out, I tend to be quite frugal with squeezing out just what I need and use a wet pallet to keep any leftover paint fresh for a while longer. While I'm nowhere near as prolific as many on here, I've yet to run out of a pot, though I've a couple of browns that are starting to run low . But that's after 2.5 years and a lot of spears and horses!

I usually squeeze out a little bit at a time, about 3-5 models worth in 28mm, less in 10mm. Mind you i don't use a wet pallet, so squeezing out more just means its dry before i can use it.
mmcv
Brigadier

« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2020, 09:15:52 PM »

I usually squeeze out a little bit at a time, about 3-5 models worth in 28mm, less in 10mm. Mind you i don't use a wet pallet, so squeezing out more just means its dry before i can use it.

Yeah similar, though the wet is handy for when you go for a dab and end up with a splurge from squeezing a little too hard!

mad lemmey
Marquis

« Reply #13 on: 06 March 2020, 06:36:25 AM »

Loud enough to annoy my wife to quiet enough to drown out Holby City on the TV...
Paint, sorry, thought it was music, right...
A quick squeeze from a Vallejo dropped onto an upturned coat d'arms pot. I also worked out with care you can loosen lids and return the majority of the spare paint to the bottle. I also use the nipple inverted as a pot if I only need a tiny amount.

Off to the Shed of Decency.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Shedman
Playtester
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #14 on: 06 March 2020, 07:40:24 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: