Size

Started by hammurabi70, 28 February 2020, 03:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hold me back.....Or I'll really go off on one.

I won't reply to this until I've calmed down.

A lot of folk DO get the problems of making and selling the wee men.....Others....Just don't start me. =)

Phil.

hammurabi70

Quote from: Leon on 28 March 2020, 03:49:31 PM
But then they'd be 14mm tall... You're trying to start a revolution here, so 6mm figures should be called 8mm, 15mm's should be 18mm, 18mm should be 21mm, etc.?

If 1/300th is 6mm then surely 1/150th is 12mm.  I am not too worried what it is called but one needs to agree on meaning.  As the height of individuals varies between +/- 10% this does not give a modelling problem but objects like tanks are very precise.  1/285th is noticeably bigger than 1/300th and such variations are not absorbable when dealing with tanks!  To match the tank a 1/150th infantry man at 11.5mm is 5'8", which seems fine to me.

Last Hussar

Quote from: Leon on 28 March 2020, 03:49:31 PM
But then they'd be 14mm tall... You're trying to start a revolution here, so 6mm figures should be called 8mm, 15mm's should be 18mm, 18mm should be 21mm, etc.?

NO THEY BLEEDING WOULDN'T.

You'd just have labelled them correctly.  :D
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Hold on...

Just realised..

QuoteWe measure to the eyes because of the headware

but

QuoteThey are 11.5mm tall

HOW DO YOU KNOW?

If they are wearing a hat so you can't measure to the crown then they are 10.47mm tall. - 1/163
If they were 150th then they'd be a 10.9mm to the eyes.

at 150th/160th 1mm is approx. 6 inches.

GNU PTerry

Last Hussar

Sunjester is reading this thing "Good, I'm glad it's somebody elses turn."  ;D  ;D  ;D

GNU PTerry

Leon

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 28 March 2020, 06:45:41 PM
If 1/300th is 6mm then surely 1/150th is 12mm.  I am not too worried what it is called but one needs to agree on meaning.  As the height of individuals varies between +/- 10% this does not give a modelling problem but objects like tanks are very precise.  1/285th is noticeably bigger than 1/300th and such variations are not absorbable when dealing with tanks!  To match the tank a 1/150th infantry man at 11.5mm is 5'8", which seems fine to me.

Well that opens up another can of worms as to which of the 'mm' vs scales is correct and which one do we work from?  If 28mm figures are 1/56th then 10mm would be 1/157th ish.  6mm figures are often paired up with both 1/285th and 1/300th vehicles and it works fine.  I'm sure I'd heard that the new Baccus vehicles are scaled to somewhere around 1/220th, which might be the right scale for them to look right next to the figures.  Similarly 28mm gamers will argue that the vehicles should be 1/48th, 1/56th or 1/64th, depending on which figure ranges they're using. 

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 March 2020, 06:59:41 PM
HOW DO YOU KNOW?

If they are wearing a hat so you can't measure to the crown then they are 10.47mm tall. - 1/163
If they were 150th then they'd be a 10.9mm to the eyes.

at 150th/160th 1mm is approx. 6 inches.

Because the guys without hats on are 11.5mm tall, the ones with hats will be varying degrees taller than that.  Again, 11.5mm at 1/150th gives a 5ft 8inch person and seems about the right 'scale' to attribute to them, because it works for the sculpting and matches with our vehicles.  If you decide that the average person would be 6ft tall then our figures are 1/160th scale.  If you think the average across 2000 years should be 5ft 5inch then our figures are 1/144th...

At the end of the day, as someone above said, applying a scale to a figure is always tricky and open to opinion.  So we apply the scale to the vehicles and make sure that the figures look right next to them.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Quote from: Leon on 29 March 2020, 12:53:38 AM
At the end of the day, as someone above said, applying a scale to a figure is always tricky and open to opinion.  So we apply the scale to the vehicles and make sure that the figures look right next to them.

Which is what we all want :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

It's looking right that counts. Afterall Michaelangelo's 'David' was sculpted to be looked at when high up and (on a building IIRC) so the proportions were adjusted accordingly, but nobody notices this when he's 'on the ground'.

Chad

This conversation was becoming so interesting I fell asleep. 😜

Orcs

Quote from: Chad on 29 March 2020, 11:01:12 AM
This conversation was becoming so interesting I fell asleep. 😜

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!!!!    - Who really gives a $%&*. A manufacturer produces them to his interpretations of the scale/size. Its not only height its the build of the figure, Some are thinner than others.  You look at a range of figures if your happy how they look and mix with another manufacturer buy them. If not don't.

I have 10mm figures from other manufacturers, Close Up I can tell who made them, but once on the table its almost impossible until your 2nd or 3rd look.

I am continually amazed at the skill and quality of the castings out there especially in 10mm. 

The bottom line is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I like the old Mikes Models Renaissance range. Yes they are not anatomically correct, but I like them that is all that matters to me.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 28 March 2020, 03:54:10 PM
Hold me back.....Or I'll really go off on one.

I won't reply to this until I've calmed down.

A lot of folk DO get the problems of making and selling the wee men.....Others....Just don't start me. =)

Phil.

Leave it Phil! 'ees not worth it...

Dum, dum, dum, da-da-da!

Dum-de-da-de-dum, dum, dum...
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Oh...All right, Meirion.....If you insist. ;)

Cheers - Phil.