Size

Started by hammurabi70, 28 February 2020, 03:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammurabi70

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=335369

According to this 2014 post the vehicles are now modelled at 1/150th.  Is this equivalent to 12mm?  If I get  a CENTURION (MDV5), which is a 25 foot long tank, will it be 2 inches long [51mm] (1/150th) or 1&2/3 inches [42mm] (1/180th) {10mm}.  This makes a significant difference as while the latter means a 40mm base might be used, if it is the former a 50mm base will be needed.  The M46 Patton is even longer being nearly 28 feet long, about 10% longer, so about 56mm and 46mm.

Leon

The vehicles are scaled to 1:150th so your Centurion hull would be 50mm long.  The infantry are 10mm to the eye level which equates to around 11.5mm overall height.  At 1:150th again this makes them around 5ft 9inch in real life.

'12mm' is a slightly different scale and 12mm infantry would be around 14mm overall height and noticeably different to anything in 10mm.  The vehicles are usually 1:144th so a little closer in size, but still a visible difference.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

hammurabi70

Very helpful; many thanks.  I will need to adjust matters accordingly.

Leon

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 28 February 2020, 04:44:50 PM
Very helpful; many thanks.  I will need to adjust matters accordingly.

No worries, give me a shout if there's anything else I can help with.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

INCOMING RANT WARNING
>:( >:( >:( >:(

THIS IS A LOAD OF @@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@

And shows why we need to start actually using scale and not size.

Also when did this idiotic idea about measuring to the eye come in? It always used to be to the top of the head  My passport doesn't say 165cm/5ft 5 inches.

I will warn you I currently have a spreadsheet and 2 calculators open at the moment. This is how serious about this I am.

if it is 1.5mm eyes to crown then the distance represents 2/15ths of the figure. In reality it is 1/17 approx. (about 5% of total height.) eyes to full height is 8-10 cm (3-4 inches)

Therefore 10mm to eyes = 95% of figure. The total figure height is therefore 10.5mm

(For old people who are still stuck with out of date measurements 5'7 is approx. 170cm, 5'9 = 175cm)

1700mm/10.5mm = 1/161th. Lets say 1060th for marketing
1750/10.5 = 1/166th, ditto 165th

11.5mm @ 1/160 = 1m84 (6'0)
11.5mm @ 1/165 = 1m90 (6'2)

Research by Oxford University shows the heights of an average Englishman for the last 2000 years has varied between 165cm and 173cm (5'4 to 5'8), and this correlates pretty much with diet - in times of famine the heights decreased (well, slightly after, allowing for the fact it would affect those growing up, not adults as much)

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2017-04-18-highs-and-lows-englishman's-average-height-over-2000-years-0#

(Look, I'm citing sources. That's how much this annoys me!  :'( )

Measure the weapon.
SMLE - approx 1130mm (varies with mark)(Not Orcs Mark)
Brown Bess - 1,490 mm

Even on a '28' mm figure the forehead is less than 2mm.

I'm a crap painter, and can't model (that time in stockings aside) but I can do maths.  I am open to consultation for any forum member.  :D
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

howayman

A few questions.
Does the 11.5mm final height includes headgear? No headgear follows the head contour.
Is the average height person in stocking feet?
Missed where the 1/160 comes from.
      Be NICE in your reply please.   ;)

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: howayman on 28 March 2020, 12:04:01 PM
A few questions.
Does the 11.5mm final height includes headgear? No headgear follows the head contour.
Missed where the 1/160 comes from.
      Be NICE in your reply please.   ;)

If 'includes headgear'  were true, your 18th century Grenadiers would all be little fellas.

howayman

Yep. Which could be why eye height is used.

Orcs

Quote from: howayman on 28 March 2020, 12:04:01 PM

Not may soldiers wear stockings - even the female ones  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Westmarcher

When it came to measuring in ancient and medieval times, the human body was used. The length of a man's foot, the distance between your elbow and your finger tips, the width of a thumb, and the distance of a pace were all accepted measurements. As there are no standard sizes of humans and their limbs, perhaps we should just accept that there will be variation throughout different manufacturers in the same scale.

The alternative is to use inanimate* objects as the means of standardising scales. On the Brown Bess musket, the 1,490mm quoted above would be the Short Land Pattern version used by infantry during the AWI. But there are other patterns like the Long Land Pattern (1,590mm) used during the SYW and AWI, and the India Pattern (1,403mm) used during the Napoleonic Wars. So basically you would have to be very specific when stating what your scale size is based on.

The simplest solution would therefore be to use, say, a standard metre (or yard) stick scaled down to the chosen scale. So a 170cm tall man (approx. 5ft 8 inches), would be 10.2mm high in '10mm' scale. This would mean your 'standard' scaled down metre stick would be 6mm long (just under a quarter of an inch) .... I think.   :-\

* bloody autocorrect originally changed it to intimate. ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

Measuring to the eye was done precisely for the reason given above, it's an easier reference point than the top of the head due to whatever headgear the figures are wearing.  We've not invented that metric, it's been done with wargames figures for years. 

Now, there wouldn't normally be 1.5mm (22.5cm @ 1:150th) between someone's eyes and the top of their head, but with the exaggerated proportions needed in smaller figures, 1.5mm is about the level that the figure looks right, which is the most important bit.  You can make things proportionately accurate if you want, but it's going to look odd and be a nightmare to cast.  Your figures wouldn't have any discernable fingers, barely any noticeable facial details, no buttons, no lacing, no plates on the front of your shakos.  Bayonets would be thinner than tin foil, spears would be about 0.1mm thick, etc.  Things have to be adjusted to make the figure look like what's it's supposed to be.

So, our 11.5mm figure scales up to a 5ft 8inch human, which we'll take as a reasonable average for the past 3000-ish years!

Last Hussar

Call them 12mm then.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Leon

Quote from: Last Hussar on 28 March 2020, 03:42:50 PM
Call them 12mm then.

But then they'd be 14mm tall... You're trying to start a revolution here, so 6mm figures should be called 8mm, 15mm's should be 18mm, 18mm should be 21mm, etc.?

Chad

You know I have never really considered this subject, but then I have slightly more important things to do in my life. 🤪

Steve J

I played a WWII game using my Pendraken 10mm Italian figures against some 12mm American ones and there was a noticeable difference, especially in the armour.