Started by pierre the shy, 24 February 2020, 07:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I had a TIA about 6 yrs ago, they found I was diabetic...but I feel fit and still walk to most places locally - enforced atm as wrote me car off last July !  :'( :'(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

25 February 2020, 02:49:28 PM #18 Last Edit: 25 February 2020, 06:06:34 PM by Leon
Hope you're OK Peter and let us know how the scans go.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

pierre the shy

Went and had MRI scan today....they were behind schedule so I got to watch Ellen and Tipping Point on the reception area TV since I was divested of all metal prior to going into the scanner itself.

Quite a confined space to go into for 15 minutes for the actual head scan, and not move..... 

Will be told in next day or so what they found, if anything....but they said it was more of a precautionary scan than them looking for something in particular.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Techno

Quote from: pierre the shy on 27 February 2020, 03:39:09 AM
Quite a confined space to go into for 15 minutes for the actual head scan, and not move..... 
Will be told in next day or so what they found, if anything....but they said it was more of a precautionary scan than them looking for something in particular.

I tried to go to sleep in the MRI.....But the racket those machines make stopped that plan. (I think I said when I had my scan, it was like being inside a tractor engine, which was on the point of falling apart.)

Fingers and everything else crossed for you, Peter.

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

I've had a few now and the noise is incedible, even with head 'phones on. The worst one was having to listen to Ken Bruce on Radio 2 whilst being scanned!!! Figners crossed that the results are all OK.

Quote from: Techno on 27 February 2020, 07:14:22 AM
I tried to go to sleep in the MRI.....But the racket those machines make stopped that plan.

Fingers and everything else crossed for you, Peter.

Cheers - Phil

For my scan they asked what music I wanted, Pink Floyd was not a good choice !

Techno

I have to admit....I got conned with the MRI scan.

They gave me what I thought was a pair of headphones.....(Oooh... :) they're going to play me some music, while I'm in this metal tube.....Brilliant.)

No.....They were ear defenders....because of the sodding din from the machine. =)

The CT machine barely makes a low 'hum' while it's going.....and, for me, those scans were over so quickly, that you'd have never got to the end of any 'pop' song.

(Depends on which Floyd song they played you, Ian. ;))

Steve.....They must have switched the amp up to 11......  :o

Cheers - Phil.

Twaz 'ard to tell, sumat off t'wall I tink !

jimduncanuk

Quote from: pierre the shy on 27 February 2020, 03:39:09 AM

Went and had MRI scan today....they were behind schedule so I got to watch Ellen and Tipping Point on the reception area TV since I was divested of all metal prior to going into the scanner itself.

When I was working in the Dick Vet I installed the IT side of an MRI scanner for horses.

It is an enormous electro-magnet and you had to leave all metal outside the room which was in an animal yard (think posh farm). So that was keys, mobile phone, wallet with credit cards, coins, belt and hearing aids. Still I preferred that to working in the Scintigraphy Scanning room where they inject radio-active dyes into horses. Nothing glowed but you could never be sure of what you were touching.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 27 February 2020, 12:07:57 PM
Twaz 'ard to tell, sumat off t'wall I tink !

Well...I'd have been able to sing along with that...(Wherever they started. ;))

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 27 February 2020, 12:42:54 PM
When I was working in the Dick Vet I installed the IT side of an MRI scanner for horses.
It is an enormous electro-magnet

Stroll on.....That must have been GINORMOUS to get anything up to (and beyond) half a ton of flesh inside. :o :o :o :o

Must have been a very posh equine vets, Jim. :o

Cheers - Phil

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Techno on 27 February 2020, 02:50:43 PM

Stroll on.....That must have been GINORMOUS to get anything up to (and beyond) half a ton of flesh inside. :o :o :o :o

Must have been a very posh equine vets, Jim. :o

Not what you might think Phil.

If you google 'veterinary mri' images you will see a wide variety of scanner types none of which have the whole horse passing through a rotating scanner. Sorry to dampen your imagination although some of them are pretty big in their own right. Even bigger is the Linear Accelerator across the road in its own purpose built building with concrete walls two feet or more thick. The scanner itself is about two and a half tons and the building was constructed around it.

The 'vets' I worked for was 'The University of Edinburgh (Dick) School of Veterinary Sciences at Easter Bush who are a world leading veterinary centre. Some of their clients would pass for 'posh' but many wouldn't some coming from crofts in the north of Scotland but others who are based in places like Dubai. They'll take money from anyone but most of the big bills are covered by veterinary insurance.

But I do agree that traditional MRI scanners are pretty noisy whereas X-Ray and CT scanners are pretty quiet. Ultrasound scanners are completely silent.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Well, Jim.

That's simply just cheating if the whole beastie doesn't have to go in the 'scanner'.  ;).....Stroll on...That must take a load of 'knock out' drops, to keep them still for a good few minutes, anyway.

(I have had a Google.) :o

Yes, I can imagine that that would have to be done with some sort of 'insewerance' cover..........Or paid for by some extremely wealthy clients.

Cheers - Phil  :)