8th Army Bren gun carrier BRV83

Started by Sunray, 21 February 2020, 01:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I ordered a brace of these expecting the crew to be in plain helmets.   The crew are actually two in slouch/bush hat, driver helmet and one R/O.

No drama.  The carriers will work well for early British Korea or even WW2 Far East.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If they are Bren Carriers they wont, those were gone by end 41, possibly earlier. The bren is the one with a sloped rear and only 1 rear compartment. The Universal which replaced several other types is the most common one, it has a straight back and two rear compartments.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 February 2020, 04:25:15 PM
If they are Bren Carriers they wont, those were gone by end 41, possibly earlier. The bren is the one with a sloped rear and only 1 rear compartment. The Universal which replaced several other types is the most common one, it has a straight back and two rear compartments.

Come on Ian, stop rivet counting, Its 10mm, its a carrier.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunray

The Bush war appropriation agencies don't count rivets either.   :)

Sunray

And the British Army don't scrap serviceable  kit - especially in war time.  Obsolete AFVs went East.   Grant and Honey tanks ended up in Burma.  :)   

Quote from: Orcs on 21 February 2020, 08:00:53 PM
Come on Ian, stop rivet counting, Its 10mm, its a carrier.

It's not rivet counting - the physical appearance is very different.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

While we all like and desire the "dead on balls" accurate model,  it is the tradition of wargaming that we soldier on with the next best or nearest model.

I participated in a 1948 Arab Israeli wargame last year.  We had no Locust tanks for the Egyptians, so we used Tetrarchs instead.

Egyptian infantry were BEF and Haganah/early IDF were a mix of British paras, 8th Army and Korean British.  :) 

Ithoriel

22 February 2020, 01:29:52 PM #7 Last Edit: 22 February 2020, 01:31:36 PM by Ithoriel
Accurate models are nice, and a thing to be aimed for, but frankly, as Sunray says, any port in a storm.

Bren, Universal or even Loyd, a carrier is a carrier in our games .... and sometimes a Kubelwagen is a carrier! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 22 February 2020, 01:29:52 PM
Accurate models are nice, and a thing to be aimed for, but frankly, as Sunray says, any port in a storm.

Bren, Universal or even Loyd, a carrier is a carrier in our games .... and sometimes a Kubelwagen is a carrier! :)

Totally agree.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 February 2020, 08:21:29 AM
It's not rivet counting - the physical appearance is very different.

I quite agree.  Two entirely different vehicles. 

FierceKitty

Quote from: John Cook on 23 February 2020, 01:44:51 AM
I quite agree.  Two entirely different vehicles. 

Quibbling over trivial differences. Next thing you'll be claiming the Victory is "different" from the Monitor.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dr Dave

The point is this: I've got Brits for North Africa but I now know not to use the Pendraken carrier BRV83.

Mistake in the model = at least one customer lost.  :(

Raider4

Yes, the Universal Carrier is the successor to the Bren Carrier, and they are different vehicles (although not that different . . .).

But, Bren has become the accepted name, rather like all vacuum cleaners are known as Hoovers. So the Pendraken carriers are labelled 'Bren', Airfix did the same back in 1964.

It's a bit like chainmail and platemail. People in the "know" know that's it's wrong, but we understand what is being talked about.

Pedantic-ness just for that sake of it is just tiresome.

Raider4

Quote from: Dr Dave on 23 February 2020, 08:17:31 AM
The point is this: I've got Brits for North Africa but I now know not to use the Pendraken carrier BRV83.

Mistake in the model = at least one customer lost.  :(

Heh, the original complaint is that the crew are not in helmets, not about the carrier!

Dr Dave

Quote from: Raider4 on 23 February 2020, 08:21:32 AM
Heh, the original complaint is that the crew are not in helmets, not about the carrier!

Sorry, I was referring to the model of the carrier including the crew. Thanks to the OP I now know not to buy this model of a carrier because the crew are wrong.

I guess it can be solved by snipping out the crew and replacing them with helmeted figures?