Footprint of models

Started by cra1gwt, 21 February 2020, 09:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cra1gwt

Hello all. This may be somewhere else, but I haven't spotted it and thought I'd ask: what are the 'footprint' sizes of a foot and mounted figure in 10mm? I've a notion to collect a small force for Lion Rampant, with round coin-style bases for each 'figure' in the rules, but doing it in 10mm with 2-4 miniatures on each. I wanted to pick base sizes, and couldn't get an idea of the actual 'footprint' of a single man or horse to work out a good diameter to use. Any advice?

Noktu

21 February 2020, 01:19:15 PM #1 Last Edit: 21 February 2020, 01:21:02 PM by Noktu
Hello,

On my Medieval project I've used 25mm diameter round bases for 2 footmen, and 30mm for 3 footmen (could fit 4 on a 30mm base for a more tightly packed formation.

And 40mm round bases for 2 cavalry and a footman, which could house 3 cavalry models.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17687.195.html

Edit: Wanted to add that when basing a single figure on a base, I'd suggest 20mm for infantry and 30mm for a single cavalry.

Leon

Depending on how closely you base them the foot will fit within a 10x10mm footprint (these figures are on 10mm squares):

These cavalry are on a 20x10mm base:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Most 28[s will fit on a 1p piece, or the equivalent US and Euro coins, so I suspect you could get at least 4 figures for close order stuff.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

10x10mm for foot is a good rule of thumb. Most of my Pendraken figures are mounted on 40mm frontage, and 4 figures is the most common, I've sometimes gone with 5, and very occasionally been able to squeeze 6 across a base in a single rank.

With 20mm round bases I'd aim for 3 figures per base, for 25mm 4 or 5 figures should fit.

Much of this will be about what looks good to you, I find it good to try out basing options as nothing beats seeing the figures on some test bases to see what they look like.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Noktu

Wanted to also link this project from one of the forum users.

Here you can see single miniatures based on various base sizes. Starting from 10mm bases.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18969.0.html

I'd choose the base according to how you want to add basing materials to it.

Slightly larger base, say 20mm for one miniature. Lets you have a decent amount of base around that you can make look pretty, to compliment the character standing on there.

As well as to have some space to move the miniature by grabbing it from the base without having to touch the miniature itself.

cra1gwt

Thanks very much, everyone! I'll keep planning away. 👍