What was your first plastic kit?

Started by Westmarcher, 16 February 2020, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrishanley

smallchild139

Was the kit the Cessna from the Cessna/Mig 21 dogfight double. That had lots of transparency in it.

Mark

Raider4

Quote from: smallchild139 on 16 April 2020, 01:07:59 PM
Was the kit the Cessna from the Cessna/Mig 21 dogfight double.

That's . . . a bit of an odd couple. Think the dogfight would be slightly one-sided.

toxicpixie

I dunno, that West German kid flew his Cessna right into Red Square without alerting Soviet Air Defence. It might not be so one sided as you'd think ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Nirnman

It being more years ago than I can be certain of remembering accurately I think my first or nearly the first was a one-sixth scale Chinese mandarin figure produced buY Airfix (I think/he was one of a series of figures that include henry VII, Queen Elizabeth, a Lifeguard, a Yeoman of the Guard and Anne Boleyn.

Smoking gun

Quote from: chrishanley on 14 April 2020, 12:17:22 PM
Unlike the multi-national step by step pictures with arrows and symbols of today, the early instructions had an exploded view of all the parts and a numbered sequence of descriptions.
For example, and this is a direct quote from an Airfix kit, circa 1966.
1. Locate and cement window transparencies (1-4) from inside port and starboard fuselage halves (5,6) applying cement to window surrounds only.
Huge points for anyone who can guess the kit... Clue, it was a Dogfight Double.
As you can imagine the instructions were quite a challenge for a young lad, so needs must and I therefore learnt to read by making Airfix models...

I learnt of technical language and improved my vocabulary by following the Airfix instructions, the cars and locomotive kits were full of, to a young boy, strange new words.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

FierceKitty

I'm still rather pleased to remember working out for myself what the "male" and "female" sections were that needed fastening together. Long before sex meant anything but reproductive biology to my innocent little mind.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

smallchild139

That was a real set.  Bizarre but true... :)

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Nice inversion of the power dichotomy in Vietnam there :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

chrishanley

Bit of a one sided dog fight. Was the Cessna armed?

fsn

IIRC, the Cessna had rockets, but I think they were more for signalling than anything else. 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

howayman

I've read this thread and the sad thing is i can not remember my first plastic kit.
The first figures were US 7th cavalry, Airfix of course. But plastic kit just escapes me.
I must be getting old.   :-X

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I remember my brother made the Airfix Napoleon.

Only problem was, he put the legs on backwards.  ;D ;D ;D ;D