What was your first plastic kit?

Started by Westmarcher, 16 February 2020, 02:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Pretty sure it was an Airfix Spitfire.

I can also remember a Henry VIII model, and 1:12 skeleton.......I think there was some sort of knight, as well.  :-\

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Airfix Churchill - though all those wheels didn't put me off. I ended up with 15 models.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Mine was the SR51? Sanders Roe rocket/jet fighter, and it had no cockpit canopy.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

I think mine was the Airfix  Fokker Triplane.  it came in a plastic bag.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

I think mine was in a blister, but may have been a plastic bag :-

FierceKitty

I remember those plastic bags. The game has changed a bit, hasn't it?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

andys

18 February 2020, 08:56:13 PM #21 Last Edit: 18 February 2020, 09:04:50 PM by andys
An Airfix Zero, something like 58 years ago. when I was around 6 years old. My Dad made it for me one evening and it was waiting for me when I got up the next morning. Don't recall it being painted but it had the transfers on it.

We used to go to the local toy shop religiously every Saturday morning and the bloke who owned the shop would get most of his stock out on the counter for us to pick which model we wanted that week The place was crowded out with small boys and their Dads. The models were those in plastic bags with card top bits bearing artwork of the kit in question. Think they were 1/- or 1/6 or 2/- or maybe even half a crown. Happy, simpler days.

fsn

I remember encountering Airfix WWI figures in a toy shop in Germany. The owner had "painted" all the casualties with copious amounts of red paint. He also had only one eye, and the shop was quite dark. Scared the life out of me!

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Raider4

Quote from: Steve J on 17 February 2020, 12:37:39 PM
I think mine was in a blister, but may have been a plastic bag :-

Ahh, the old Series 1 blister pack. Remember those well. Most of my kits came in those.

Could never work out what the difference was between some Series 1 & 2 kits. IIRC The Tiger and Panther were Series One, but the Pz.VI was a Series Two? Why?

Think I may have had a couple of Series 3 or 4 ship kits - Graf Spee, Ark Royal and HMS Suffolk(?).

Don't think I ever got to the dizzy heights of a Series 5 kit (or higher? Did they go higher?).

Also remembered my first tank was a 1/72 Matilda. Happy memories . . .

FierceKitty

d_Guy

Likely it was the Revell XSL-01 manned space ship or one of their WW1 bi-planes.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sunray

An Airfix Sherman - I burnt myself welding the tracks with a hot screwdriver!  :)

FierceKitty

fsn

Quote from: FierceKitty on 20 February 2020, 04:16:29 AM
Even I am a blithering idiot at times.
Come, come. Don't put yourself down so.