Uh-Oh !

Started by Techno, 11 February 2020, 08:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 12 February 2020, 11:48:11 PM
There is, of course, no serious downside to leaving it running (just turn the monitor off). In the days of torrenting my PC would not be turned off for months at a time!

Thanks....I've started doing that, Scorpio  :)....I can remember being told by an old colleague that HE never bothers to power down his PC.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 February 2020, 09:12:35 PM
"Well, smartass, if the computer is down because of a power cut, how come the phones are working? Huh?"

If Matey had been quick, he could have pretended that his call hadn't come through a switchboard. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

Quote from: paulr on 13 February 2020, 12:14:25 AM
To make way for the new national museum they had to move a hotel on railway tracks, http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/9054381/Training-all-eyes-on-shifting-a-hotel :o

It moved partly through one of out microwave paths, fortunately the automatic gain control (AGC) was able to raise the power on the radios enogh to keep the link up #:-S

As the sign in the Helldesk area said - "Cheap, Fast, Good - pick two!"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 February 2020, 11:02:58 AM
As the sign in the Helldesk area said - "Cheap, Fast, Good - pick two!"

To be fair, the sign on the opposite wall said, "The beatings will continue until morale improves" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Quote from: paulr on 13 February 2020, 12:14:25 AM
To make way for the new national museum they had to move a hotel on railway tracks, http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/9054381/Training-all-eyes-on-shifting-a-hotel :o

It moved partly through one of out microwave paths, fortunately the automatic gain control (AGC) was able to raise the power on the radios enogh to keep the link up #:-S

Fascinating story.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Noktu

Phil, are you still having problems during startup?

Some things to try if the problems persist.

Plug the power cord off for 30 seconds and and shut down the power button behind the PC. After 30 seconds try startup again.

Try startup with all the usb cables unplugged from the computer, including mouse and keyboard. It could be a faulty external device causing the problems aswell.

You could also try vacuuming some of the dust inside/outside the computer that might be blocking some of the cooling fans. Overheating components will result in many problems but the computer should however give you a BlueScreen error from overheating problems.

Techno

Hi, Atte. :)

Thanks for asking, but the PC seems to be behaving itself now*....No more problems since that 'episode'.....(I must admit I wouldn't switch it off, at all, for a few days.....But we then had a couple of quite violent thunderstorms close by.....So I unplugged everything. It worked fine after that....And I switch it off every evening now....Having  backed up everything important onto a couple of external hard drives. )

Cheers - Phil (* Fingers crossed !)

rct75001

I hate the bloody things.

I have built my last 3 PCs over 15 years.  The current one periodically stops for no reason and restarts.  This will go on for a few times in a day and then not happen again fr weeks.  Just long enough for me to think it really has gone this time. 

Occasionally it will get itself into such a panic after restarting numerous times in 10 mins that Windows takes over and goes into its (useless) recovery mode.  If I can just get it to boot then immediately shut down that usually deals with the issue for a little while. 

Meanwhile life goes on.   

Richard
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au

Noktu

Richard,

Would you be able to open the Windows Event Viewer, you can do this by typing "Event Viewer" to the search bar if using windows10.

If you remember the approximate day this restart occured you could post the critical error codes and events here. And we could try to narrow down what might be causing this.

Edit1: Could it be malfunctioning power/restart button configuration?

ronan

Quote from: Techno on 09 March 2020, 10:08:50 AM
(...)Having  backed up everything important onto a couple of external hard drives. )

Cheers - Phil (* Fingers crossed !)

ALWAYS DO BACKUPS !
It's not "in case of a crash"  but "when I'll have a crash .."

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

A realistic pesimist.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021