Uh-Oh !

Started by Techno, 11 February 2020, 08:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

I think this PC is getting sick. :(

It wound up perfectly, first time this morning....Then I had to restart it, 'cos a particular program was having its oft occurring hissy-fit. (Restarting the PC cures this every time.)

After that, the PC didn't want to play....it would start winding up, and then go to blank, black screen, instead of the screen that asks for a password....and just sit there doing nothing.

Had it running diagnostics, for over an hour...It didn't SAY it had found anything, but then it asked if I wanted to 'restart'.....(I'd already tried this half a dozen times, this morning)...and this time it seems to be happier......with the emphasis on the ER.......Whether it's actually happy now, I've no idea.

At least I've got the tablet, as a back up now.......But I'll be hornswoggled if I'm going to type out many replies on that.....I have an awful lot of 'mistrypes' if I try and plonk things out on that ! ;D ;D

I'll be worried about shutting this wretched thing down, from now on !  =)

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Sounds like one of two things: Hardware on the way out :-( or something happening in the wrong order during start-up.

If hardware, I'd expect some sort of clue during the restart process.
If not, find out how to check the system logs and watch out for hardware warnings.

Order of start conditions often occur after a system update has installed some new code.
I've found that doing a couple of consecutive restarts often resolves whatever gremlin had infiltrated your system.

- ie get logged in, don't start anything (Apols Dennis Waterman - Minder) give it 5 minutes (Apols Sid James - Carry on at your convenience) then do a restart. Repeat.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Clear your cookies Phil. They take up cache memory and CPU space, so slow down the system. It's easy, find the settings menu on your prefered browser (on mine its three vertical dots on the extreme right) click on it and look for Clear Browsing Data - which is under a sub menu (pop out in my case) and select clear cookies. This will log you out of all the programs you were running. And if you are still running win7 you may need to "defrag" the hard drive, should be in the start up section.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Thanks, Both.

As far as I'm aware, Firefox chucks all the cookies out and clears the history every time I log off the net.
(Whenever I look at the history tab, it tells me I have no history. )

Seeing as I don't trust it, I clean everything a couple of times a day, anyway.....I assume Firefox IS doing 'its business', as I never recover much in the way of Disc Space.....Usually 25 odd Mb.

I'm not going to switch the PC off tonight.....I'm going to back everything up on the two external hard drives overnight. (Haven't done that for MONTHS !)

There's nothing on here that I'd be gutted about losing, apart from all the photos....(95% of those ARE backed up already)..Though I wouldn't want to spend time re-inputting all the songs on iTunes.  X_X  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks again.

Cheers - Phil  :)

Subscribe to one of the cloud storage facilities Phil. I use dropbox, but there are others available. Also put your stuff on flash drives.

Techno

I copied them all onto two external hard drives, last night, Ian.....So they should hopefully be safe for now ! :)...I really must try and remember to do that more often.

(We used to have three flash drives.....But where two of those are now, is anyone's guess !.....They'll turn up when we're not looking for them. =))

Cheers - Phil

Techno

Good grief.....

I'm not having much joy with computery stuff, at the mo !

Thought I'd got a problem with the USB cable for the tablet.....Battery was charging, but the PC wouldn't recognise the tablet, at all. (I was trying to put some more piccies on it !)

Probably would have helped if I used the correct frigging USB cable !!! X_X :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers - A Muppet !! (At least I was quick enough to cancel the order for a new cable !!) :D

(What's the third thing going to be ?) =)

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 12 February 2020, 11:58:44 AM
Good grief.....

I'm not having much joy with computery stuff, at the mo !

Thought I'd got a problem with the USB cable for the tablet.....Battery was charging, but the PC wouldn't recognise the tablet, at all. (I was trying to put some more piccies on it !)

Probably would have helped if I used the correct frigging USB cable !!! X_X :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Cheers - A Muppet !! (At least I was quick enough to cancel the order for a new cable !!) :D

(What's the third thing going to be ?) =)

Acronym time - MUDL - Massive unrecoverable data loss.

OI !!! I'm the only Muppet round ere....and I can better it. Back in the day I had a nice new colour printer I could not get to print - mainly cause the cable which was supposed to connect it was under the printer but not plugged in...  :o :o

Techno

I'm glad some folk do things as daft as me.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Oh there are plenty dafter ;)

I remember talking a Police officer through a problem they were having with their computer...

after several checks I asked them to look under the desk to check it was plugged in

he commented that it was very dark under the desk and he couldn't see

I suggested he turn on another light or move a desk lamp

He mentioned, for the first time, that none of the lights on that floor were working

I politely suggested he go and use the computer in the watch house as that was on UPS and would be working when the rest of that station didn't have power
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

12 February 2020, 09:12:35 PM #11 Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 09:14:12 PM by Ithoriel
"Well, smartass, if the computer is down because of a power cut, how come the phones are working? Huh?"

"No, when I say click the button with the mouse I don't mean tap the monitor with it ...."

"Yes, I know, it's a very old model. We have unit 002, the one after the prototype ..... well, could you get the spares back out of the skip?"

"Yes, ma'am, I understand that sticking the floppy to the filing cabinet with a big magnet makes it easy to find but that's why your weekly backup is always scrambled ...!"

"Sir, the reason you can't get that PC to boot up is ... that it's a microfiche reader"

"Gasometer goes up, signal goes down. Gasometer goes down, signal goes up. I realise putting the microwave unit on a mast is expensive but I'm pretty sure it's a damn sight cheaper than moving a gasometer!"

Tales from the Helldesk :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

As a friend of mine once had to deal with "the drinks tray has snapped"
Oh, you mean the CDrom drive...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Scorpio_Rocks

Quote from: Techno on 11 February 2020, 08:55:15 AMI'll be worried about shutting this wretched thing down, from now on ! 

There is, of course, no serious downside to leaving it running (just turn the monitor off). In the days of torrenting my PC would not be turned off for months at a time!
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

paulr

Quote from: Ithoriel on 12 February 2020, 09:12:35 PM
"Gasometer goes up, signal goes down. Gasometer goes down, signal goes up. I realise putting the microwave unit on a mast is expensive but I'm pretty sure it's a damn sight cheaper than moving a gasometer!"

To make way for the new national museum they had to move a hotel on railway tracks, http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/wellington/9054381/Training-all-eyes-on-shifting-a-hotel :o

It moved partly through one of out microwave paths, fortunately the automatic gain control (AGC) was able to raise the power on the radios enogh to keep the link up #:-S
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!