WW2 British Engineers

Started by holdfast, 10 February 2020, 07:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Were flamethrower units widely/routinely issued in the British army in NWE? What about the BEF in 1940?

fred.

In NWE, yes. I've just flicked through Bouchery 'The British Soldier' but can't see the numbers of man-portable Ack Pack flamethrowers issued, but I'm pretty sure they were at battalion level. A lot of use was made of vehicle mounted flame throwers on carriers (Wasp) and on Churchill tanks (Crocodile). Wasps were in the carrier platoons of infantry battalions so readily available, Crocodiles were part of 79th Armoured Divison, but were parcelled out to various different units to support operations.

1940, I don't know, but I've seen little if any reference to their use.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

I think there were some issued to RE companies, but not used much.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

holdfast

Never came across any reference to them in 35 years in the Sappers so doubt that they were issued. British sappers were considerably less well equipped with heavier weapons than their German equivalents.