Clara.

Started by Techno, 08 February 2020, 07:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

QuoteAs we are discussing storms what is the difference between a Hurricane and a Typhoon

They are called one or the other depending upon where they occur as they are both tropical storms.

Raider4

Agreed. (very) Simply hurricane in the Atlantic, typhoon in the western Pacific. Wikipedia will have more details if you're that interested.

Quote from: ianrs54 on 12 February 2020, 01:58:43 PM
As we are discussing storms what is the difference between a Hurricane and a Typhoon (any answers involving 100kts, or 8 Rkts will result in instant expulsion !!!)

Then you should not have capitalised either "Hurricane" or "Typhoon"?

Techno

I see that now they've given a 'proper name' to the coronavirus......I'll be getting that wrong too.
I read it as Corvid, and wondered what they'd got against members of the crow family.  X_X

Cheers - Phil =)

Raider4

Quote from: Techno on 12 February 2020, 05:43:46 PM
I read it as Corvid, and wondered what they'd got against members of the crow family.  X_X

Ditto!

fsn

As we are discussing storms what is the difference between a Hurricane and a Typhoon
Ah! Welllllll ..

(any answers involving 100kts, or 8 Rkts will result in instant expulsion !!!)
Dammit!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A hurricane is a tropical cyclone that occurs in the Atlantic Ocean and northeastern Pacific Ocean, and a typhoon occurs in the northwestern Pacific Ocean; in the south Pacific or Indian Ocean, comparable storms are referred to simply as "tropical cyclones" or "severe cyclonic storms".

That do you?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

I understood that, up to "A hurricane".  ;)

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 February 2020, 05:53:29 PM
Ditto!

I'm glad someone else thought that, Martyn !!

Best "Miss-see" I had was when I was walking down a street in Newark (Notts)..just casually looking around. There was a big advertising billboard at the end of the street.
I glanced at it and looked away.....And thought "WHAT".....You can't print F*CK in four foot letters on that.

(That was the first time I ever saw an advert for French Connection UK.)

If I'd been driving past, I wouldn't have been able to do a double take, and would have gone home and told Von....."You'll never guess what I saw down town." :)

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 12 February 2020, 10:33:23 PM
A hurricane is a tropical cyclone that occurs in the Atlantic Ocean and northeastern Pacific Ocean, and a typhoon occurs in the northwestern Pacific Ocean; in the south Pacific or Indian Ocean, comparable storms are referred to simply as "tropical cyclones" or "severe cyclonic storms".

That do you?

And by the time they reach New Zealand they're known as "ex-tropical cyclone"
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mad lemmey on 12 February 2020, 10:33:23 PM

That do you?

Thanks Will, what I were lookin for
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: Techno on 13 February 2020, 07:14:41 AM
Best "Miss-see" I had was when I was walking down a street in Newark (Notts)..just casually looking around. There was a big advertising billboard at the end of the street.
I glanced at it and looked away.....And thought "WHAT".....You can't print F*CK in four foot letters on that.

(That was the first time I ever saw an advert for French Connection UK.)

I always mis-read Extreme Fishing in the TV book . . .

toxicpixie

Quote from: ianrs54 on 13 February 2020, 08:47:10 AM
Thanks Will, what I were lookin for

You didn't need to ask Ian, you could have just looked out the window; it was very visible ;)

Can I help you with any more Hurricane questions, or are we just typhooning around?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

After that one I'd get a coat. Here is another one to contemplate - What is the difference between a boat and a ship....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

jimduncanuk

Quote from: ianrs54 on 13 February 2020, 11:22:22 AM
After that one I'd get a coat. Here is another one to contemplate - What is the difference between a boat and a ship....

You can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship in a boat.
My Ego forbids a signature.

toxicpixie

I dunno, is it a ship off the old block? I'll get me boat :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Shedman