French Line Infantry 1870

Started by Morty, 28 January 2020, 06:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

Google the French military artists Eduard Detaille and Alphonse de Neuville, particularly the latter, for their paintings of 1870.  Lots of examples in their work from Napoleonic to 1870. 

I find that Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue 70-899, washed in Sepia 73-200 and finished with a white dry (very dry) brushing, applied lightly with a large soft brush, works well for my 1914 French.  I use Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue for all dark blue uniforms from the early 18th Century, through Napoleonic and ACW to WW1.

I agree with Westmarcher.  I'm also not a fan of going lighter with smaller size figures.  The effects, that I have seen, result in something far too garish in my view though I do think a dry brush in white is essential to bring the figures 'to life'.

steve_holmes_11

03 February 2020, 05:19:21 PM #16 Last Edit: 03 February 2020, 05:20:53 PM by steve_holmes_11
Quote from: ianrs54 on 31 January 2020, 01:40:03 PM
Steve you are right, but its well outside effective small arms fire range. I'm on the phone at the moment, but the distances are in the book "Firepower" by H.B.C. Rodgers. From memory you cant distinguish shakos at 600m.

IanS

"This phenomenon is known as 'Atmospheric Perspective'. Things appear to fade off into the distance because of dust, humidity and air pollution in the atmosphere".

It could be argued, that black powder era battles would suffer atmospheric perspective issues rather closer than a clear photography-friendly day.
I expect everybody has their own favoured approach to painting smaller scales.

Paint it lighter, so they don't disappear into the terrain.
Paint it greyer because (my favourite new word) atmospheric perspective.
Just dip it.

Morty

I try to get the figures to stand out by using a light coloured surface on the gaming table - this is a cigar box mat.

Morty

This is it I think...

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

I used Prussian Blue for French Foreign Legion in 10mm as the Dark Prussion Blue was too dark
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson