Is this how one sculpts figures

Started by Aksu, 30 January 2020, 05:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 February 2020, 11:36:57 AM
Best of Beethoven ... 90 minutes of silence.

Classics - as the author heard them.

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 February 2020, 11:08:23 AM
I don't really vote for anything later than Beethoven (except Wagner and Dave Brubeck).

And I'll bet you're going to tell me that you don't like the prelude to Act III of Lohengrin.

That's without doubt one of my favourite pieces of 'classical music'.
In a way, I'm glad ELP didn't have a go at 'reinterpreting' that one.

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 February 2020, 11:36:31 AM
"Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard!" :)

Spare him his life from these pork sausages.  ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Raider4 on 01 February 2020, 07:52:38 PM
That's tapes (yes, the book is that old), and it's Best of Queen.

I've got  a feeling that in the TV 'film' that the tapes become CDs, Martyn. :-\
I could only bear to watch that adaptation once....Very disappointing (for me) and it's one of my favourite books.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Of the six 'episodes', I really only enjoyed episode 4, Will.

I'll probably watch it again, in a few months.....and then wonder why I disliked it so much, the first time.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 02 February 2020, 02:00:38 PM
And I'll bet you're going to tell me that you don't like the prelude to Act III of Lohengrin.

That's without doubt one of my favourite pieces of 'classical music'.
In a way, I'm glad ELP didn't have a go at 'reinterpreting' that one.

Spare him his life from these pork sausages.  ;D ;D ;D

I've got  a feeling that in the TV 'film' that the tapes become CDs, Martyn. :-
I could only bear to watch that adaptation once....Very disappointing (for me) and it's one of my favourite books.

Cheers - Phil

Except that Tennant is perfect as Crawley.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

That....I would concede.  :)

He did a damn fine job !...Perfect casting.

Like I say.....I'll probably watch it again, in a while, and wonder why I hated it so much the first time.

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Only watched the first episode so far, not impressed. One of my favourite books, and I remember it being funny. Can't remember anything even remotely chuckle-able from the TV version.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 February 2020, 02:29:02 PM
Except that Tennant is perfect as Crawley.

Ehh, trying too hard for me. And Michael Sheen is just doing an impersonation of Derek Jacobi as Cadfael.

Raider4

Quote from: Techno on 02 February 2020, 02:00:38 PM
I've got  a feeling that in the TV 'film' that the tapes become CDs, Martyn. :-

I assume the book is written as being 'now' at the time of publication (1990), and the tapes are mentioned at the time of Adam's birth - i.e. 11 years previously. So, 1979. And tapes are perfect for that timeframe.

Then I assume the TV version is happening as 'now' - i.e. now! - so even CDs are now obsolete. But perfect for 11 years ago.

FierceKitty

CDs still do a dam' good job with music where quality counts.

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 02 February 2020, 06:38:51 PM
CDs still do a dam' good job with music where quality counts.

Not saying they don't, but most people I know just connect their phone to the ICE system and play music from there.

The exceptions I know are my wife - who has all of her stuff on a USB drive plugged into the ICE - and me, who just listens to the radio.

FierceKitty

Less popular, that I don't deny. Hardly obsolete.

Techno

sunjester

We have all our music on CDs. OK, I've also got mp3s on the computer in the games room/office at the bottom of the garden.....and a bunch of stuff on shelac 78s for the gramophone....but in the house it's on CDs. When we want to play music, we browse the shelves, often finding something else we had forgotten about, find the album and put it on to listen to.

Fiends of our have gone all "high-tech" with a wireless house and no real music, everything accessed through the demon that is "Alexa".
A typical exchange goes:
"Do you want to play some music, we can access just about anything?"
"Can you play They raided the Joint by Hot Lips Page*?"
"Oh course. Alexa, play They raided the Joint by Hot Lips Page."
Music starts.
"Stop. No, Alexa, play They raided the Joint by Hot Lips Page."
Music starts.
"Stop. No, Alexa, play They raided the Joint by Hot Lips Page."
Music starts.
"Stop"
Repeat ad infinitum until we give up an play something off their regular playlist.

*Substituent just about any other sodding song by any other sodding musician who isn't on the family play lists!

PeterEm99

I used to have a vinyl single of the New Vaudeville Band's "Finchley Central" - easily the second best song ever about a North London suburb.  The best?  The paean by the late great Willie Rushton to Neasden:

"The traffic lights, the yellow lines, the illuminated signs, all say welcome to the borough that everybody's pleased in...."

A worthy counterpart to Sellers' "Balham, Gateway to the South". My copy came as a flexi-disk taped to the cover of Private Eye (anyone else remember these?) Nowadays YouTube is your friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rndzo8PoDAE

Peter

Techno

Flexi discs ?

Certainly do, Peter !  X_X X_X X_X

Got some of those in the attic.  :-[

Cheers - Phil