French Line Infantry 1870

Started by Morty, 28 January 2020, 06:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morty

Can anyone please advise me in the best Vallejo shade of blue to use for French line infantry uniform coats during the opening battles of the Franco-Prussian war?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Erm...
I always use Coat d'Arms Deadly Nighshade, black ink wash, and highlight with DN again...

Sorry.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

I think you'd be looking at something like VAL925 - Blue or VAL965 - Prussian Blue, but I'd need to check the Vallejo racks tomorrow to make sure it's the right one.  We normally recommend a lighter shade than usual for 10mm figures, to make them more visible.

VAL925:

VAL965:
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Shecky

I use a base of Vallejo dark Prussian blue with a highlight of either Prussian blue or flat blue (lately it's been more flat blue for the French coats).

mollinary

Bear in mind that the French greatcoat, which was worn by troops in 1870, was much lighter blue than the tunic, and than the Prussian uniform. I believe the mix included  10% white wool, if I recall correctly
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leon on 29 January 2020, 12:06:06 AM
We normally recommend a lighter shade than usual for 10mm figures, to make them more visible.

As an aside, I know that is a common mantra in the hobby but, personally, I don't buy it. I just can't imagine a commander standing on a hill, screwing his eyes as he watches his troops away in the distance and then saying to one of his aides, "Issue the following Standing Order. Henceforth, all uniforms are to be lightened to make them stand out in the distance."   :-B

My 10mm SYW Prussians are painted Dark Prussian Blue and, as I hope many Honours of War Forum members will agree (I can easily post photos there but not here), when you add the rest (white straps, facing colours, etc.) they stand out very well ... and, as such, are more authentic (imo).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Out of principle, I have to support a fellow SYW fan.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Morty

Thank you all for your very helpful replies.

I have done my Prussians in 'dark Prussian Blue' as well and was slightly regretting it but that has encouraged me. Being fairly new to 10mm I am seeing the need to make the figures 'pop' on the table but I think this can be done in other ways such as the colour or the playing surface/mat/board.

steve_holmes_11

There seems something wrong with using Prussian blue on a French uniform...

Facts of the day:

Prussian blue was the first modern synthetic pigment and the first relatively stable and lightfast blue pigment.
It displaced the very expensive lapis lazuli (Ultramarine), murex snail (Tyrian purple) and somewhat less expensive, but less fast Indigo dye.
It is not water soluble, so dyeing relies on colloidal dispersal of particles within the material, and precise colour depends on size of the particles.

It also occurs on the World Health Organisations list of essential medicines.
The most important medical requirements for a basic health system.
It's medical quality is as an antidote to some types of heavy metal poisoning including radioactive isotopes of caesium.

Prussian blue was the traditional blue ink in blueprints and dyed the uniforms of the Prussian army since the 17th century.

Terry37

I am a fan of smaller going lighter. Ture it may not seem as authentic, but then what would be the "authentic" shade after being in the weather! For me using a slightly lighter shade is more of a modeling technique than accuracy. Bottom line though - use what ever shade you feel is the right one for you. I've found an element of infantry in very dark blue coats may or may not fight just as well as those in middle blue coats - it all depends on the commander and Lady Luck!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

steve_holmes_11

Objects at a distance don't get lighter, they get greyer.

Which reminds me, must get some more shampoo.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Steve you are right, but its well outside effective small arms fire range. I'm on the phone at the moment, but the distances are in the book "Firepower" by H.B.C. Rodgers. From memory you cant distinguish shakos at 600m.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Chad

Dark blue-grey with a dark blue wash.