commission a range of post war Brits in berets ?

Started by Sunray, 28 January 2020, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Having been inspired  by the triumph of d_guy (Bill) and his Irish/Scots range - or indeed Dave's Elizabethans, I am moved to consider a modest range in the post war era.

No really that ambitious - basically Korean war Tropical British KRB1-KRB14, Lee Enfield Mk4, 37 pattern web, but with new heads - and berets !

From WW2 to 1958 would be their application.

A good idea ?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

28 January 2020, 06:16:41 PM #2 Last Edit: 28 January 2020, 06:29:13 PM by Raider4
Sounds brilliant. Think I suggested just such a thing when the Korean range first came out. Evidence!

Good luck!

Sunray

Yes , you did !    

And I was sorely tempted to put them in berets and helmets !

But the evidence from primary source photographic images was that the first Brits in Korea deployed in the bushhat - so we went with the evidence.  :(

Techno

Well, I'll do them...I'm sure Leon won't mind me doing those, James.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Berets in the 50's were semi-parade, bush hats and the da**d turtle for action.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 January 2020, 02:56:48 PM
Berets in the 50's were semi-parade, bush hats and the da**d turtle for action.

Once did an image search for British forces in the Suez Crisis, most of them in the field seemed to be wearing berets, a few were in helmets. Can't remember seeing a bush hat.

Sunray

Quote from: Raider4 on 29 January 2020, 04:41:04 PM
Once did an image search for British forces in the Suez Crisis, most of them in the field seemed to be wearing berets, a few were in helmets. Can't remember seeing a bush hat.

Bush hat was issue for Far East and Kenya (still is).  Suez Crisis saw Royal Marines,  Paratroopers - berets and Dension (WW2 will do) and amongst other units the I see Cheshires and Ox and Bucks cap badges and Royal Scots ?  Ahhh-  I have found an OOB -  it was quite a large operation !

.  Make a hell of a wargame.

Even includes Centurions!  :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

The standard practice was and is related to what is "incoming".

If there is a danger of mortar/artillery or rocket/bombs then helmets are worn.

The helmet has little or no protection from ball ammo.  The helmet can also dull reaction and senses.   Berets cause less fatigue and are more comfortable. Hence berets were banned from annual BFT.  You started and finished in a helmet.

Hence beret order is usual where there is no risk from shrapnel.

There are of course three other beret wearing factors:

1. elite units like to swan their beret.   Paras and Marines will don the lid ASAP.

2, The beret can also signal a reassurance to civilian population in a way  that underplays military presence in their midst.   We were taught in N Ireland to cradle the SLR in  a casual manner when on the street.   You could recognise the Brit by that stance - it was common in the Falklands. 

3.  Special non aggressive status - the blue UN beret is a good example.