Rules for Border Reivers

Started by sunjester, 12 May 2020, 11:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveH

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Scorpio_Rocks

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

sunjester

Quote from: Last Hussar on 13 May 2020, 11:17:02 PM
I hope he doesn't mind me posting this, but Sunjester isn't Australian because one of his forebears was thrown out of Australia for being TOO criminal.
He chose to leave Australia, but had gone there after being thrown out of Canada!

Raider4

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Quote from: mmcv on 12 May 2020, 09:42:53 PM
I have it in good authority that one of my ancestors had to flee to Ireland and change his name after he punched the judge who was accusing him of unauthorised livestock procurement.

He was completely innocent I'm sure

I do a lecture on the clearance of the borders by James VI (I).  Entire families of Armstrongs, Elliotts, Kerrs had the choice of Fermanagh or the gallows.  Many families retained their light horse traditions and in the 1689 wars, formed a creditable defence against the Jacobites.  In the Williamite campaign they distinguished themselves at the Boyne, later becoming the 6th Inniskillen Dragoons. 

It all went bad for the Reivers  in 1603 when they followed the custom of mounting extensive raids in the confusion following the death of a monarch (in this case Elizabeth I) . However for the first time in "British" history,  the new English monarch was also King of Scotland, so, for the reiver, there was no escape.

Some of the Graham clan took to spelling their name backwards =  Maharg .  You still find them in the Borders and Galloway around Wigtownshire.

Orcs

Quote from: mmcv on 12 May 2020, 09:42:53 PM
I have it in good authority that one of my ancestors had to flee to Ireland and change his name after he punched the judge who was accusing him of unauthorised livestock procurement.

He was completely innocent I'm sure

He can't have been innocentn, he had broken the 11th commandment "Thou shalt not be found out"
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

That wonderful line in Woman on Top: (speaking reprovingly to a buddy whose wife has left him after walking unannounced into the bedroom...) "When a man really, truly loves his wife, he never, ever lets her catch him."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

mmcv

Quote from: Sunray on 15 May 2020, 09:46:58 AM
I do a lecture on the clearance of the borders by James VI (I).  Entire families of Armstrongs, Elliotts, Kerrs had the choice of Fermanagh or the gallows.  Many families retained their light horse traditions and in the 1689 wars, formed a creditable defence against the Jacobites.  In the Williamite campaign they distinguished themselves at the Boyne, later becoming the 6th Inniskillen Dragoons. 

It all went bad for the Reivers  in 1603 when they followed the custom of mounting extensive raids in the confusion following the death of a monarch (in this case Elizabeth I) . However for the first time in "British" history,  the new English monarch was also King of Scotland, so, for the reiver, there was no escape.

Some of the Graham clan took to spelling their name backwards =  Maharg .  You still find them in the Borders and Galloway around Wigtownshire.

Interesting! Yes a few of my ancestors ended up in those parts, not sure if any were in the dragoons, must find out.

Quote from: Orcs on 15 May 2020, 10:54:13 AM
He can't have been innocentn, he had broken the 11th commandment "Thou shalt not be found out"

Very true!