French Napoleonic light cavalry carry no eagles?

Started by Dr Dave, 26 January 2020, 03:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

Can it be true...

Increasingly I'm reading that from 1806 the little fella had his chassuers and hussars return their eagles until none were carried. I only have one book of my own "War drama of the eagles" which makes this claim. Obviously being devious and sly their natural instinct to hide things and deceive might mean eagles remained in the field. What's the view of the collective? Should I field my lights "sans oiseau"?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well your guys are going to look like they is parading down the Champs Eliese so I'd give em eagles.

Ian S
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dr Dave

Sorry, can't. As Paddy might say: "no carry, no havey."

British cav never had colours during the Napoleonic wars so there's a precedent.

Westmarcher

Quote from: Dr Dave on 26 January 2020, 03:03:13 PM
Can it be true...

Increasingly I'm reading that from 1806 the little fella had his chassuers and hussars return their eagles until none were carried. I only have one book of my own "War drama of the eagles" which makes this claim. Obviously being devious and sly their natural instinct to hide things and deceive might mean eagles remained in the field. What's the view of the collective? Should I field my lights "sans oiseau"?

That was also the case during the Seven Years War (in the Prussian army at any rate). If you want standards and have nice easy to fix, pre-printed flags, I would say go for it. If someone picks you up on historical accuracy, it's simply a discussion point where you can say you know but you like the parade effect. If you want flags and these are pre-cast and you have to paint them yourself, quite simply, you're mad(!)  .... says the guy who hand painted his SYW Prussian Hussar flags and later found out he needn't have bothered.  #-o  :-[
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

My Wurttemberg ChL will go into battle wthout any kind of guidon or standard.

The Pendraken figures though will not go to waste. I shall use them as status indicators - swapping the flags to show a different status e.g. yellow - disordered; blue - blown etc.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Thanks for the pointers chaps. the question wasn't so much "can I get away with it" - but rather "Is it right that they didn't have them?"

If they didn't have them (bar a few exceptions that I think I have found) then it's no flags for them.

steve_holmes_11

We know that almost all light cavalry who would be sent on scout and piquet duty were ordered to leave their colours at the depot.
We also know that - cavaliers being what they are for indiscipline, and hussars being the worst sort - the order was sometimes disobeyed.
I take the view that my hussars are among the worst sort of hussars, and would wear their parade finery during an invasion of hell.

On a strictly historical note, I know that the French Napoleonic army withdrew eagles form all battalions except the sneior one of each brigade.
I understand that the other battalions carried a flag known as a fanion.

Do the learned forum members know whether the cavalry carried a similar "lower prestige" colour on campaign?
I've heard of a guidon - a small cavalry flag, but only in the context of ACW and Plains Wars..

WeeWars

Quote from: Dr Dave on 27 January 2020, 11:13:28 AM
Thanks for the pointers chaps. the question wasn't so much "can I get away with it" - but rather "Is it right that they didn't have them?"

If they didn't have them (bar a few exceptions that I think I have found) then it's no flags for them.

Dave, Have a read of my blog post. Cheers, Michael

www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809blogpost85.htm
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Thanks WeeWars - I think that I'm heading towards no Eagles.

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 27 January 2020, 11:56:58 AM
I take the view that my hussars are among the worst sort of hussars, and would wear their parade finery during an invasion of hell.

It's really tempting...  :)

But alas mine are for Spain where contemporary prints show them without pelisse and looking more like chasseur a cheval in perhaps a red or blue kinski coat  :'(

paulr

Good to see you posting again Michael, haven't seen anything from you in a while :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Quote from: paulr on 27 January 2020, 09:10:25 PM
Good to see you posting again Michael, haven't seen anything from you in a while :)

Cheers, Paul. I did try to post that there was some activity on my 1809 blog but the apostrophe bug stopped me adding anything to my original thread.
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

I think you can still post, but you need to remove the apostrophe in the subject line each time you do :(

I'll have to catch up on your blog :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!