Into the Valley ACW game

Started by Steve J, 24 January 2020, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Nice one, Steve ! :)

Cheers - Phil

Morty

I think you have a really great grand tactical look to that game and lovely terrain.
I have never actually played ACW but do have Glory Hallelujah! Which you mention in your linked blog. I agree it looks to have some good info in it whereas some of those Black Powder/Hail Caesar supplements are a bit hit and miss.

Steve J

Thanks Chaps :). The supplements are hit and miss as you say Morty.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Dave must have been wondering all game where the extra Rebels were going to come on :-SS

I quite like your old school maps, very neat, with a nice simple feel
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Yep, it must have been weird advancing against a token force and expecting either a flank attack or re-inforcements appearing via the Confederate table edge. But that IMHO adds a certain something to the game.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dave Fielder

I knew there was only a small brigade to deal with. Besides the flanks are for the enemy to worry about ;-) Now about the cavalry brigade commander, Shirley Wayne, I think he needs to be under special report unless he starts to show some better leadership. And don't call him Surely.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Norm

Good opening and a fun read. Looking forward to seeing how the administration side of running the campaign will work out.

Chris Pringle

Very nice, Steve. Silly names don't usually do it for me, but these raised a smile. I shall enjoy following the progress of your campaign and of your characters' careers.

Dave Fielder

Silly names! The Union forces are all real names sourced from historical documents and televisual references; I even used MecroSurft Spell Chunker to make sure they were spelling write.

Steve J

If the characters do well or do badly etc, we somehow blame it on them. So with Shirley Wayne, he was simply awaiting the 'lights, camera, action' command and away he went :D.

Westmarcher

Good stuff, Steve. Indeed, with hindsight, quite brave to set everything up when it might otherwise have been handled by counters on a map. But what if the Union forces had caught up with the Rebs and what casualties might have thus resulted that may have had some knock-on effect on the overall campaign? It also reminds me of a WW2 computer game, Combat Mission, in which, for a number of turns, you advance expecting to be shot at at any moment but nothing happens, thus ramping up the tension until that actual moment when the enemy does open up whether it be by sniper, anti-tank gun or MG position.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Steve J

If the Yankees had caught the Rebs cavalry, then:

- they would not be available for the rest of the campaign, assuming they were destroyed.
- the Yankees would have an even bigger numerical advantage in the next game.
- the Yankees might be able to catch the next Rebs position still setting up their defensive positions, as there would be no cavalry to delay them.

Lots of possibilities from this campaign and the way it is set up. It has also sparked renewed interest in TFL's Dawns & Departures campaign system.

Dave Fielder

I also think this takes us closer to the KFC for some of the famous chick'n