PSC stuff

Started by Lord Kermit of Birkenhead, 24 January 2020, 02:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The classic down scale is the Revell 1/72nd Fuchs APC. It was obviously taken directly from a 1/35th scale kit with full chaiss including steering rods. You might be able to make it in 1/35, but no way in 1/72nd.

Also the newer Warlord stuff is resin, not plastic.  Hail Ceaser = Plastic, SPQR = Resin
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Absolutely nothing to do with import duties, then. :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Techno on 26 January 2020, 12:46:13 PM
Absolutely nothing to do with import duties, then. :)

Cheers - Phil

Raw materials?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: sultanbev on 25 January 2020, 10:39:35 AM
Vitrix now being called 12mm
https://www.beastsofwar.com/modern-warfare/victrix-upcoming-12mm-world-war-ii-game/

The Victrix article is pulled from their original Facebook post so no scale attached to it there.  Saying '12mm' isn't telling us a great deal other than the height of a figure, but even then is that 12mm overall height or 12mm to the eye?  12mm overall height at 1:144th gives a 5ft 8in person and is about right.  But if the figures turn out to be 13.5-14mm actual height then at 1:144th they're about 6ft 5in tall!  

Quote from: Raider4 on 25 January 2020, 11:24:30 AM
I believe that Pendraken's vehicles are scaled at 1/150.

Yep, 1:150th which gives a height of 5ft 8in in real terms.  It also sits us nicely among the various N-gauge scales and opens up the railway markets for scenery and buildings.

Quote from: Techno on 26 January 2020, 08:24:54 AM
Well..... the initial outlay to produce (tool up) plastic figures/vehicles certainly used to be mind bogglingly ginormous, compared to paying for a production run of metal figures.

I'm sure Leon could quote you far more up to date figures for the costs of 'making plastics' than the ones I used to know....

The prices about 10 years ago were around £40k-£50k per plastic boxset, which included all of the tooling and then your first couple of thousand boxes.  The plastic sprues themselves cost pennies, 10p-20p each to produce, so once you've got the tool made you can really make some profit.  (You've got to sell enough to cover that initial outlay though!)

These days I think the costs are down at around £7k-£10k for plastic tooling, then a similar 10p-20p per sprue to manufacture.  Also, the 3-up method has largely been replaced with digital sculpting so the tool is made from a .stl file rather than a pantograph type affair.  

Quote from: Dr Dave on 26 January 2020, 10:23:54 AM
Warlord are all produced in the UK.

They definitely produce their metal and resin at their premises in Nottingham, I've never been sure on the plastics though?  There's also a few of the larger companies testing a new resin spin-casting machine but at nearly £50k per machine I don't think it'll be taking off anytime soon!

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Workshop once had an experiment to see if there was any way of getting plastic to flow through a rubber mould, while I was there.

It wasn't.

'Something' came out of the mould.....It had two arms and two legs...a head and a body....But that's about all you could say about it ! ;)

Cheers - Phil

Norm

27 January 2020, 08:32:44 AM #35 Last Edit: 27 January 2020, 08:34:28 AM by Norm
Quote from: Leon on 26 January 2020, 11:19:40 PM
The Victrix article is pulled from their original Facebook post so no scale attached to it there.  Saying '12mm' isn't telling us a great deal other than the height of a figure, but even then is that 12mm overall height or 12mm to the eye?  12mm overall height at 1:144th gives a 5ft 8in person and is about right.  But if the figures turn out to be 13.5-14mm actual height then at 1:144th they're about 6ft 5in tall!  

On their forum page, someone who has put together a Panther model, says it is around 4.5cm long. It doesn't say whether that includes gun barrel, but I doubt it. I have the old Pendraken Panther, which is is about 4.1 or 4.2 cm long (hull only) and I am guessing the new Pendraken sculpt is slightly bigger, suggesting the vehicles at least may be closer in size.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 27 January 2020, 06:42:54 AM
Workshop once had an experiment to see if there was any way of getting plastic to flow through a rubber mould, while I was there.

It wasn't.

'Something' came out of the mould.....It had two arms and two legs...a head and a body....But that's about all you could say about it ! ;)

Cheers - Phil

I'm about as shocked as Cap'n Renault about that.
Injection plastics aren't known for their fluidity - closer to cold honey than water.

The injection process occurs at fairly high pressures.
A proper working pressure on a rubber would would likely blow any seal before filling the details.

Plastic is also an insulator, so doesn't cool quickly.
Hence the advantages of steel moulds.

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 January 2020, 02:26:32 PM
Probs coming up for Leon, just seen piccies of the PSC 10mm Soviets, the infantry look rather good.

Timecast are doing 10mm West Germans, apparently.