PSC stuff

Started by Lord Kermit of Birkenhead, 24 January 2020, 02:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Probs coming up for Leon, just seen piccies of the PSC 10mm Soviets, the infantry look rather good.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Can you pop a link up, Ian ?

I can only find 1/72 Russian inf  from PSC.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

I saw the first prints on Facebook, which were rather blobby, but as they say, they were the first offs, so should get better.

Leon

They don't look too bad but the print lines are visible on the helmets.  I think they're going with plastic production though, so that should be ironed out in the final product.

I'm not too worried about this addition to the 10mm market, PSC have got a large customer base who are buying/playing similar games, so they're more likely to bring people into 10mm rather than take existing money out of the market.  It's an easy switch for their existing 15mm WWII players to jump down a scale and then look at other projects in 10mm, WWII being the obvious one.  

Also, the costs of plastic tooling mean that PSC won't be able to produce a lot of the niche vehicles and troop types, so customers will be looking elsewhere for those.  We don't currently have a lot for the 1980's period but we'll be working on it in the next year or two.

I'm more concerned about the Victrix foray into 10mm WWII plastics, which I think is a large departure from their usual 28mm pre-1900 offerings.  There's less chance of their existing customers making that kind of switch, so I think they'll be taking more money out than the interest they're bringing in.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

The heights look particularly variable....The 'scales' are all over the place

The two on the right would dwarf the 'middles'...... if they stood up....(No way are those the same scale)..Those look more like '15mm/20mm....and the one on the left looks more like a hobbit, height wise.

Nice sculpts....But I'm not over impressed with how they'd fit together.

Cheers - Phil

Fingerspitzengefühl

As a 15mm ww2 player (everything else in 10mm) PSC make rather wooden infantry figures, they can be painted to a good standard but their proportions are very strange, especially some of the gun  crews.

paulr

Thanks Techo, you clearly described what I was feeling when I looked at them

The picture looks like a comparison of three different manufacturers
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

24 January 2020, 07:29:18 PM #7 Last Edit: 24 January 2020, 07:36:25 PM by Sunray
Quote from: Techno on 24 January 2020, 04:53:59 PM
The heights look particularly variable....The 'scales' are all over the place

The two on the right would dwarf the 'middles'...... if they stood up....(No way are those the same scale)..Those look more like '15mm/20mm....and the one on the left looks more like a hobbit, height wise.

Nice sculpts....But I'm not over impressed with how they'd fit together.

Cheers - Phil

Yes, the kneeling dwarf syndrome catches a few sculptors out when they work to 10mm scale  :)

Phil and I had a chat before Christmas about what's out there.  vehicles and AFVs can be 3D printed - some good some bad.  But figures......another story as you have to exaggerate some details to look right.

Techno

Quote from: paulr on 24 January 2020, 07:06:31 PM
Thanks Techo, you clearly described what I was feeling when I looked at them
The picture looks like a comparison of three different manufacturers

A very good way of putting it, Paul.

Quote from: Sunray on 24 January 2020, 07:29:18 PM
Yes, the kneeling dwarf syndrome catches a few sculptors out when they work to 10mm scale  :)
Phil and I had a chat before Christmas about what's out there.  vehicles and AFVs can be 3D printed - some good some bad.  But figures......another story as you have to exaggerate some details to look right.

Yep..We certainly did, James.  ;)..and you know the opinion I've got on the figures you very kindly sent for me to have a gander at.

Cheers - Phil

sultanbev

I thought the PSC stuff was 12mm? ie 1/144 scale

Mark

paulr

The ones on the right probably are ;D

sultanbev

The Vitrix stuff is also 12mm, 1/144 scale.

Am sticking to 10mm 1/160 scale, as it compatible with n-gauge model rail scenery, so I'm going to end up with some nice looking battlefields! Other than 20mm which can get away with 00 guage model rail stuff, no other wargaming scale has this advantage.

Mark

Sunray

Quote from: sultanbev on 24 January 2020, 09:40:17 PM

Am sticking to 10mm 1/160 scale, as it compatible with n-gauge model rail scenery, so I'm going to end up with some nice looking battlefields! Other than 20mm which can get away with 00 guage model rail stuff, no other wargaming scale has this advantage.

Mark

Two things

First, the difference in height between 1/150 and 1/144 figure is about 1mm. 
Secondly,  men come in different heights and sizes.  In my current adaptation of  15mm AK47 type bush wars to 10mm,  I use figures from at least seven  manufactures.
Pendraken Falklands/Korea/WW2 are supplemented by Wargames South, Minifigs, Irregular, Timecast, Arrowhead  and the odd Red 3 miniature.
The larger 1/144 types make for the most Caucasian type mercenaries, and at the other end of the spectrum Wargame South DAK proxies for African boy soldiers. 
I have a old Wild Geese Miniatures  SCW Republican officer (purchased in the 1980s) who has been reincarnated as the OC of  Signals. 

Leon

24 January 2020, 11:44:57 PM #13 Last Edit: 25 January 2020, 01:01:15 AM by Leon
Quote from: sultanbev on 24 January 2020, 08:20:59 PM
I thought the PSC stuff was 12mm? ie 1/144 scale

Quote from: sultanbev on 24 January 2020, 09:40:17 PM

Have they both confirmed that now?  

When I was chatting to Will (PSC) at Colours last year he wasn't sure what scale they were using?  And Victrix kept avoiding the question on their original Facebook post, just saying that 'they will match up with other 10/12mm models...' but never committing to a specfic scale.  
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Neither of those responses builds confidence :-/