Hacking attempt.

Started by Techno, 22 January 2020, 07:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 January 2020, 04:14:29 PM
What do you island folk call a tar arn?

A 'whatjumacallit'?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

22 January 2020, 04:48:38 PM #16 Last Edit: 22 January 2020, 04:51:28 PM by d_Guy
So a four* whay tar arn would be a quadruple whatjumacallit?

* correctly pronounced “fo-ah”
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: FierceKitty on 22 January 2020, 03:35:33 PM
And they largely preserved it, while you lot mangled the pronounciation.

I always wondered how they know that.

Same applies when a classicist criticises Greek or Latin pronounciation on broadcast drama.

steve_holmes_11

Hacking attempt you say - Absurd!

Mwahahahahhh! hahah! hahah!

FierceKitty

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 22 January 2020, 04:51:59 PM

Same applies when a classicist criticises Greek or Latin pronounciation on broadcast drama.

You can reconstruct a heck of a lot by comparing fragments. Think Darwin's finches if you like. An easy example: the Strine accent is clearly Cockney, but with no glottal stop, so we can be pretty sure Lunnun English picked that one up fairly recently.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Black coooouuunnntray is nearest toooze pure Anglooooo-Saxon as yas gets. 
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 22 January 2020, 05:06:02 PM
An easy example: the Strine accent is clearly Cockney, but with no glottal stop, so we can be pretty sure Lunnun English picked that one up fairly recently.

I was thinking about where the Australian accent had come from, just a few days ago !....I'd never noticed that it had Cockney 'roots'.
Nice one, Alexander

d_Guy

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 22 January 2020, 04:51:59 PM

I've watched a bunch of YouTube vids on the subject. One common way is to note that certain words are intended to rhyme, as in Shakespeare for instance, and they no longer do in received English. They often will rhyme when using  my hillbilly twang.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leon

Quote from: d_Guy on 22 January 2020, 04:14:29 PM
What do you island folk call a tar arn?

That would be a crowbar or a lug wrench!  Crowbar if it's just the 'J' shaped bit of metal for popping tyres on/off, lug wrench if it's an 'X' shape and got sockets on it.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!