I hope they have sorted all the bugs

Started by Orcs, 20 January 2020, 11:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

20 January 2020, 11:43:51 PM Last Edit: 21 January 2020, 12:44:53 AM by Orcs
Well, As Windows 7 is no longer supported, I have upgraded to Windows 10.  I hope all those bugs and issues it had have ben sorted out.

If I suddenly disappear you will know why! :-S

Managed to download free of charge from Microsoft, so looks like their threat of ending the free upgrade to Windows 10 in 2016 was not quite true.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

I'm in the position of having a perfectly serviceable PC that can't be upgraded to Windows 10.

Currently investigating the options available if I have my system operated by penguins.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 January 2020, 12:09:30 AM
I'm in the position of having a perfectly serviceable PC that can't be upgraded to Windows 10.

Yes we live in an age that things are made obsolete long before they stop actually doing what they were supposed to.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 21 January 2020, 12:51:49 AM
Yes we live in an age that things are made obsolete long before they stop actually doing what they were supposed to.

That's been true for an awfully long time already, Mark. :(

Though I think that if we're to stop sending so much stuff to landfill, companies may be forced to make 'things' repairable at an economic price. (I'm reasonably sure that governments are already thinking along these lines.)

It really does annoy me that when certain lower/mid ranged priced goods break down....There's no alternative but to 'buy a new one'....And chuck the old one away.

Also, (stating the bleeding obvious) companies want you to BUY their new improved versions of 'stuff'.....Which has probably got (as extras) functions that you simply don't really need.....While the old version still works perfectly.

Good luck with Windows 10 !......It MUST have improved since yours truly had all those problems.

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Quote from: Orcs on 21 January 2020, 12:51:49 AM

In the case of Microsoft it's that they introduce a new thing long before it starts actually doing what it's supposed to!  >:(

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I have had a few problems, such as Chrome deciding it's not connected, but this 5 yr old lao top is otherwise reasonably stable on 10.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 21 January 2020, 07:24:59 AM
It really does annoy me that when certain lower/mid ranged priced goods break down....There's no alternative but to 'buy a new one'....And chuck the old one away.

Cheers - Phil

As a teenager I worked in an electrical shop as a Saturday job repairing small electrical goods, and I do look to repair stuff,  but when I do the parts are either not available or more expensive than a new item.

Techno

I try and do the same, Mark...But like you say finding/tracking down parts can be a bit of a swine.

Probably already mentioned this, but...I managed to repair the 'big' Dyson recently by finding an appropriate switch..(Though Dyson don't stock/make them anymore).. (£5 incl free postage.....Yeah, right...The switch was probably really only £1.....and the rest went towards the free p&P. ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Pleased I managed it, though :).....It still has a lot more 'oomph' than the cordless one, that I use upstairs*.....and holds a massive amount of dust/dog hair compared to the cordless one.....Which will barely hold a coffee mug's worth of 'poop' before it needs emptying.

Cheers - Phil

* I've reached the stage where lugging a heavy vacuum up a load of stairs, is more than a bit of a pain. X_X

ronan

Quote from: Ithoriel on 21 January 2020, 12:09:30 AM

Currently investigating the options available if I have my system operated by penguins.
;D

The same here !  :)

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data