Noktus WW2

Started by Noktu, 12 January 2020, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Lovely !! (Once again)  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

This has been an interesting thread, and I fully identify with your pursuit of correctness. So I'll share a few thoughts.

First, there is really only one person you need to satisfy, and that is you.

Then, who can say for sure what the exact shade was, especially after being in the weather and action a bit.

And finally. a thought - gray with dunklebraun scheme was really a very, very early war camo pattern. I am sure some still wore it into the French campaign, but it was rapidly going away. Yet having said that, who is to say it wasn't used later in the war if that was all that was available.

If you are going to do a British counter force  I highly recommend the Stamner books. They are excellent and include true paint color chips. Or if I can be of nay help as I am a big fan of the British, send me a private note and we'll chat.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Noktu

Thank you Phil and Lemmey.

And also thank you Terry for your input. I'll definately take any advice considering the allies.

I actually received some modelling paints from my aircraft modeler friend and those are giving me a new hope. As the Army Painter paints I use for the miniatures are of inferior consistency, especially when painting vehicles. I'm still trying to nail the dunkelgelb camos as the infantry is late war, so the tanks have to be aswell.

I will keep posting updates and will not stop till I "nail" it.

Ace of Spades

I may have missed a few messages but has anybody recommended the 'Panzercolours' series (1 - 3) yet?
They're a very good start with good drawings and examples plus backgrounds on camouflage, markings etc. For the brown in the camouflage schemes I would use something with a little more red in it.
Late war vehicles ('45) often had the painting of camouflage reversed; the tanks would be in dark red/brown primer and the dunkelgelb and (by that stage) olive green would be painted over it leaving the red/brown untouched where needed.
Your infantry looks stunning! The shading on them works really well and is something you should look for in your vehicles too I'd say. Now the heavily drybrushed vehicles won't mix in too good with the figures I guess... Your first batch followed the shading of the vehicles more closely I feel. Adjusting the pattern and perhaps the colours would have done the trick I'd say.

Well; there you have it... another opinion to get you distracted. Sorry 'bout that...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Noktu

Hey guys,

Got some more guys done, aswell as did a couple of stands with Waffen-SS guys. Also I think the stug came out pretty well, considering the camouflage.

35 by Atte, on Flickr

32 by Atte, on Flickr

28 by Atte, on Flickr

27 by Atte, on Flickr

26 by Atte, on Flickr

25 by Atte, on Flickr

Techno

As usual, Atte.....Those look brilliant !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

Just catching up on this, looking great!

hammurabi70

Quote from: Noktu on 25 February 2020, 12:55:01 PM

26 by Atte, on Flickr

Very impressive.  What diameter bases have you used?

Noktu

Thank you everyone!

Quote from: hammurabi70
Very impressive.  What diameter bases have you used?

I've used 20mm for single miniature.
30mm for 3 infantry.
And Tank bases I've picked according to the track sizes. Think the stug here is on a 40mm base.

FierceKitty

Good ones. It really sets the cats apart from the kittens, taking an intrinsically dull subject like WWII and painting it so it looks good; that takes real brushwork. Anyone can make hoplites or grenadiers look smart.

A bit like painting still-life, really. You've got to be good  to make a saucepan worth looking at....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.