Noktus WW2

Started by Noktu, 12 January 2020, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noktu

12 January 2020, 09:53:33 PM Last Edit: 12 January 2020, 10:07:01 PM by Noktu
Hello!

Just started to experiment with my new WW2 miniatures, and figuring out a colour scheme for these. And I'd love your opinion, how and what I should do with these.

For the time being, I was thinking about basing my army around Splittermuster camouflage and feldgrau trousers and helmets.  With a greatcoat should I go with a more stone gray tone, or stick with the feldgrau?

These 2 guys are Wehrmacht Panzernacht truppen. With extensive googling I could not find anything about "Panzernacht" before ordering these, but apparently these are german soldiers carrying a satchel charge.

1 by Atte, on Flickr

Noktu

12 January 2020, 10:01:47 PM #1 Last Edit: 12 January 2020, 10:07:19 PM by Noktu
-

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Like those a lot.
The field grey looks spot on (as it doesn't matter if you match in a few extra shades, German uniform was rarely uniform in shades, especially later in the war)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Quote from: Noktu on 12 January 2020, 09:53:33 PM
With a greatcoat should I go with a more stone gray tone, or stick with the feldgrau?
I'd mix the tones up a bit, on both the greatcoats and pants...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Techno

They look great !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Noktu

Cheers!

Hey, what should I do with these tanks. I wanted to try out painting a camo on these. vehicles overall are not where I shine. So I was thinking at this point should I apply a soft wash and then drybrush with beige? At the moment the tanks pop out a bit too much? Or should I just admit my defeat and go factory gray.

Panzer IV and Stug III

2 by Atte, on Flickr

4 by Atte, on Flickr

Steve J

I use a GW Devlin Mud wash (not sure what it's called now) over the whole vehicle, then local drybrushing to lighten things a touch. I recommend you try it on one tank, before doing the others, so you get a technique that works for you.

Noktu

Quote from: Steve J on 14 January 2020, 08:19:02 PM
I use a GW Devlin Mud wash (not sure what it's called now) over the whole vehicle, then local drybrushing to lighten things a touch. I recommend you try it on one tank, before doing the others, so you get a technique that works for you.

Gentle wash with AP Soft Tone mixed with water. and afterwards a drybrush with beige.

Let me know should I just repaint these and maybe experiment with doing the camouflage by just washing the camouflage patterns. Or would these suffice as plausible WW2 camouflage?

Inspiration:

inspiration by Atte, on Flickr

6 by Atte, on Flickr

5 by Atte, on Flickr

fred.

They look good. I certainly wouldn't be repainting them.

At first look I thought the sand was a bit pale for Dunkelgelb, but it is a good match for the picture. There were many patterns and shades of colours used on German Panzers. For much of the war the green and brown and the 3 tone camo was applied by the crews in the field - so obviously could vary a lot. Later in the war more camo was factory applied so patterns were more standardised, then at the very end, paint was in short supply so all sorts of stuff was seen.

The wash helps darken them up, and give a bit more contrast around the panel lines.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

I thought the sand colour looked a bit harsh and pale on the first photograph.
Of course this may be related to the illumination.

The post-wash ones sat on the kitchen roll look great.
I'd suggest that's the job done.

As for the foot guy, he looks fine.
The art with the foot soldiers seems to be to put them in a nicely sanded and flocked base in a credible formation.
A bit of time and love spent at that point really pays dividends.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

They look good to me, certainly too good to repaint

A trick I tried recently was to give the vehicles a very light over spray with Dunkelgelb from about 30cm, it softens up the painted camo quite nicely
I did it before washing and dry brushing

Maybe on future vehicles let a little more of the camo show through the mud on the vehicle sides, in some ways this makes them look more muddy

Adding some Balkenkreuz and vehicle numbers would also add to them (I use transfers/decals)

Hopefully some of the above suggestions are useful
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Quote from: Noktu on 14 January 2020, 07:24:31 PM
Hey, what should I do with these tanks.

Give them to me ! (Don't repaint them, Atte.)

I think they look superb !!  :-bd =D> :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil what would you do with tanks ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021