Pendraken Plans for 2020!

Started by Leon, 11 January 2020, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

QuoteI furloughed staff last week and we are now going through the procedures and guidance to make sure our claim is watertight. Like Leon says HMRC are going to be going through this with a fine tooth comb and can still look at this in 7 years time.

Our neighbour works for HMRC in the Fraud Investigation Service and very interesting to hear her talk about how they and the government will be checking companies claims for the 80% furlough money etc. There are going to be a lot of very, very surprised companies in the next few years and not in a good way.

Raider4

Quote from: Steve J on 04 April 2020, 07:44:11 PM
Our neighbour works for HMRC in the Fraud Investigation Service and very interesting to hear her talk about how they and the government will be checking companies claims for the 80% furlough money etc. There are going to be a lot of very, very surprised companies in the next few years and not in a good way.

Well, hopefully they'll be going after the shysters and fraudsters who're trying it on, rather than the little guy who's made an honest mistake.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 April 2020, 08:03:49 PM
Well, hopefully they'll be going after the shysters and fraudsters who're trying it on, rather than the little guy who's made an honest mistake.

"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." - Cardinal Richelieu (attrib.)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 April 2020, 08:25:15 PM
"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." - Cardinal Richelieu (attrib.)

"If you give me a six on this roll, my guards may beat d'Artagnan and his henchmen in this game for once!" - Cardinal Richelieu (attrib.)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 05 April 2020, 02:58:25 AM
"If you give me a six on this roll, my guards may beat d'Artagnan and his henchmen in this game for once!" - Cardinal Richelieu (attrib.)

Not a chance if your playing Lee  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: T13A on 04 April 2020, 11:22:20 AM
Hi

Hear, hear! Me to, 36 years soldier and MoD Civil servant.

Cheers Paul

The problem is that some people thought 'Yes Minister' was a documentary. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: John Cook on 06 April 2020, 01:05:13 AM
The problem is that some people thought 'Yes Minister' was a documentary. :)

You mean it wasn't, and is "Men form the Ministry" not one either ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

"yes Minister" was very clever.  I used clips from the shows to educate American and Erasmus sophomore year students on UK and EEC  politics as it then was.

The exchange on the British national newspapers and who reads them is a classic.  :)

John Cook

Quote from: ianrs54 on 06 April 2020, 07:43:58 AM
You mean it wasn't, and is "Men form the Ministry" not one either ?

That must pre-date Yes Minister by a few years.  It's another British sitcom classic of satire and caricature, based largely on perceptions but quite far removed from reality like, for example, is Dad's Army.   

FierceKitty

I once used it with a couple of high-level Russian students who'd been sent to my school by the embassy for a bit of professional language upgrade, which they needed as much as I need lessons in cat appreciation. They were fascinated, however..."Nikolai, this Sir Humphrey is just the same in Ilya Ivanovich in the visa department, isn't he? I thought only Russians could be that kind of bureaucrat." "Mmm, I don't think Ilya Ivanovich ever says anything as plainly and honestly as Sir Humphrey."
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

When I was signing on I used to tease the advisors in the job centre with Men from the Ministry
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

parkerm17

I am just re-reading James Clavell's "Tai-Pan" and while I cannot think of any reason to wargame the Opium Wars, it did make me think about the Boxer Rebellion; lots of colourful figures for the Boxers, wide range of figures for the Allied Forces and a great film for inspiration: am I tempting you?   Perhaps this may be a period to consider when life returns to normal?

hammurabi70

Quote from: parkerm17 on 13 April 2020, 10:35:30 AM
I am just re-reading James Clavell's "Tai-Pan" and while I cannot think of any reason to wargame the Opium Wars, it did make me think about the Boxer Rebellion; lots of colourful figures for the Boxers, wide range of figures for the Allied Forces and a great film for inspiration: am I tempting you?   Perhaps this may be a period to consider when life returns to normal?

No.  Personally I find all these wars uninteresting. However, the hobby is wide so you are welcome to look for support.  No doubt figure makers respond to demand, or perceived demand.  I think there are some product ranges specifically for the Boxer Rebellion but for the Opium Wars punters would need to use proxies from other ranges relating to the early Victorian era.

NogegoN

Any news on Cold War Commander II?

Regards
- NogegoN

Leon

Quote from: NogegoN on 03 May 2020, 07:34:49 PM
Any news on Cold War Commander II?

Work continues at this end but I don't think we'll have anything ready until the end of the year.  With final formatting and printing, we'd be looking at early 2021 for release.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!