Pendraken Plans for 2020!

Started by Leon, 11 January 2020, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

It's by no means an open-and-shut case that He ever actually existed. We may have to start re-dating ab urbe condita, as the Romans did - except that archaeologists have solidly demonstrated the City was at least two hundred years older than the Romans realised.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Last Hussar

More likely 6BC.

However his existence is now unrelated to our year counting.

The first year AD/CE was 1. Before that it was 1BC/BCE.

1st 10 years are 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.

Ergo all decades start on the x1 year.

Unless you can show me a decade with 9 years in.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

Quote from: Last Hussar on 15 January 2020, 08:24:40 AM

Except it wasn't, in "1BC/1AD we were still counting the years Ab Urbe Condita, or the nth year of the reign of king so-and-so, or whatever.

Given that, as this thread shows, the "year of our lord" is a pretty random pick anyway, so far as I'm concerned and I seem to be far from alone in this, the 2020's will run from 2020 until 2029 ... because the 2020's being 2021 to 2030 is not just random it's bloody silly too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Isn't it appropriate that this discussion revolves around the number, TEN?  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

More likely 6BC.

A minutes has sixty seconds - 0 to 59.

An hour has sixty minutes - 0 to 59.

By the same logic, a decade has ten years in it - 0 to 9.

I'm counting 2020 as the 1st year of the 20's, I'm quite happy for others to do differently.

FierceKitty

Iff there was a year 0, you're quite right. And maybe we can start gaming the 31YW and the 101YW and the 8YW....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Quote from: fsn on 15 January 2020, 07:49:04 AM
Anyway, I have a question that may re-rail the thread (he said, feeling slightly guilty for derailing in the first place, and with no real hope of re-railing), with the upcoming Greeks, and the promise of TB Line ancients on the horizon, could you comment on how compatible they are?
For example, the Korean War range are rather slim compared to TB Line, and would look slightly odd together (and not just because of the difference in period.) The greens for the Greeks look rather chunkier (and I mean that in a good way.) Would they mix in one unit?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 15 January 2020, 12:25:04 PM
For example, the Korean War range are rather slim compared to TB Line, and would look slightly odd together (and not just because of the difference in period.) The greens for the Greeks look rather chunkier (and I mean that in a good way.) Would they mix in one unit?

I'm not exactly sure to be honest.  The TB Ancients were the first ranges they did and they tend to be a bit chunkier and a bit taller I think.  The TB Middle Ages stuff matches in great with ours, but I think they'd moved to a different sculptor for those ranges. 

Unfortunately there aren't many Greeks in the TB ranges.  We'll have Republican Romans, Carthaginians, Gauls, Numidians, Iberians, Italics and then one code of Epirotes!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Last Hussar

Quote from: Raider4 on 15 January 2020, 10:52:32 AM
A minutes has sixty seconds - 0 to 59.

An hour has sixty minutes - 0 to 59.

By the same logic, a decade has ten years in it - 0 to 9.

I'm counting 2020 as the 1st year of the 20's, I'm quite happy for others to do differently.

That logic only works if there was a year 0.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

Quote from: Leon on 15 January 2020, 03:46:01 PM
Unfortunately there aren't many Greeks in the TB ranges.  We'll have Republican Romans, Carthaginians, Gauls, Numidians, Iberians, Italics and then one code of Epirotes!

Thanks Leon.

I'm fancying the Italics and Epirotes agin the Greeks. I shall contain my excitement.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

More likely 6BC.

That would likely be the 1990s since "everyone" celebrated the millennium in 2000...  :-\ ^#(^
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 15 January 2020, 03:46:01 PM
I'm not exactly sure to be honest.  The TB Ancients were the first ranges they did and they tend to be a bit chunkier and a bit taller I think.  The TB Middle Ages stuff matches in great with ours, but I think they'd moved to a different sculptor for those ranges. 

You have Epirotes?

No, I always walk like this.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 15 January 2020, 07:35:21 AM
So..... :-

Am I six years older than I thought I was, or six years younger ? 8-}.....

I think that six years in the Eons of your life are insignificant  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

MooseDontBounce

Loving the Napoleonic non-kickstarter.  Gives me some time to finish my French army before ordering British, Spanish & Portuguese.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You know, I was waiting for Leon to add 'Take Milady on a lo g holiday' but it's obviously will be a spontaneous event...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner