Pendraken Plans for 2020!

Started by Leon, 11 January 2020, 09:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Leon on 12 January 2020, 05:02:41 PM
If 2000 was the start of a new millenium then I'm going with 2020 being the start of the 20's!

Agreed, I believe that we are currently in the 1st year of the 3rd decade of the 21st century, as we measure dates.

FierceKitty

That argument holds good if the putative date for the birth of Jesus is 0.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Raider4

That's just the way we record time, from an arbitrary starting point.

FierceKitty

In relation to which, the rest is not at all arbitrary.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Whatever the rights and wrongs I refuse to accept that the ??20's include ??30 but not ??20 ... does not compute!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

14 January 2020, 04:32:43 PM #20 Last Edit: 14 January 2020, 04:50:59 PM by Westmarcher
Because there is no Year 0 in the Anno Domini system (1 A.D. being the year that immediately followed 1 B.C), this is why we have this issue. However, if 1 A.D. had been designated as the Year 0 A.D., we would still be in the last decade because it would now be 2019. Either way, arithmetically speaking, we still haven't entered a new decade.

Having said that, I'm all for ease and simplicity and so, if the third number of the year begins with a 2, I'm quite happy to designate 2020 as the start of the second third decade in this century. Oh, I give up!    ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

I think after all that I'll just put 'Welcome to a new decade!' at the start of our 2021 plans as well...!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Glorfindel

You realise, of course, that the great Decadist Schism, spoken of in hushed tones
in centuries to come, will be traced back to this moment....

:D

Phil
(Popular Front of Zero Starters)   

"Death to the People's Front for Singular Initiators !"

Nick the Lemming

It's pretty simple, in the same way that we talk about the 1700s and the 18th century, we can talk about the 20s and the 3rd decade of the century (which runs from 2021 to 2030).

Techno

Quote from: Glorfindel on 14 January 2020, 05:13:49 PM

Phil
(Popular Front of Zero Starters)   

"Death to the People's Front for Singular Initiators !"

"SPLITTER !!!"

Cheers - Phil. ;)

Orcs

Well as the Jesus was reputedly born approx. 1-2 BC we are either in 2021 or 2022. So if the decade stated at 2020 them the Dark Lord is either a year late if he was born in 2 BC or bang on time if its 1BC.

However King Herod is believed to have died around 4BC, and as the story says he had al babies under 2 put to death. This would imply the birth of Jesus to be between 4 and 6 BC. Putting us in somewhere between 2024 and 2026. This would also take into account that the "Star of Bethlehem" was actually a slow moving comet observed by Chinese astronomers in 5 BC and the wise men are supposed to have visited him sometime after the birth.

This would  make Leon incredibly late in declaring the Decade as we could be halfway through already  :D

It would be to the Dark lords advantage to claim it is actually 2026 as he could then implement his yearly price increased for 2020, 2021,2022, 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 next month. Not only could he increase them by 35% (5% a year) but he could also claim to have had a price freeze for the past 6 years.  :).

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

So..... :-\

Am I six years older than I thought I was, or six years younger ? 8-}.....and does it mean that Von's been done out of another six years of State Pension....I think we should be told. ;)

(Anyway...I thought time was just a way of stopping everything happening all at once.)

Cheers - Confused of Wales.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

As the only one of us old enough to have been there when it happened, you should know...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

fsn

One of the things I love about this forum, is how one relatively trivial comment can derail the whole thread in interesting ways.

The census was 6AD, meaning that it's only we're still slogging through the last decade.

Quote from: Orcs on 14 January 2020, 10:38:12 PM
Not only could he increase them by 35% (5% a year)
:-B Err Technically, if Leon increased his prices by 5% per year, because of the 5% increase on a price already increased by 5%, after 7 years the increase would be nearer 41% :-B

Anyway, I have a question that may re-rail the thread (he said, feeling slightly guilty for derailing in the first place, and with no real hope of re-railing), with the upcoming Greeks, and the promise of TB Line ancients on the horizon, could you comment on how compatible they are?

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!