2020 Deaths.

Started by Techno, 11 January 2020, 07:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

06 May 2020, 03:58:05 AM #165 Last Edit: 06 May 2020, 04:01:11 AM by Heedless Horseman
The Stranglers 'Always The Sun' and 'Golden Brown', Faves  :'(
And Jill Gascoine...well, may those beautiful eyes be closed in peace.  :( :( :(
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ithoriel

For me my memory of The Stranglers will always be "No More Heroes" and a student disco in Aberystwyth.

There was a girl on another course at The College of Librarianship, natural blonde, brilliant cornflower blue eyes and a figure that went in and out in all the right places. Not that the film was out at that point but a definite "10".

I was at the disco with a couple of friends and one suggested that since she was sitting with a couple of friends he would pick her up, if we could occupy the two friends. Given that she had been batting away the attentions of hunky Agricultural students (The Agric college shared a campus with the Library College) all evening and that said friend was a 7, at best, at "dusk with a light behind him" I expressed the opinion that this was an enterprise doomed to failure.

At that point the DJ put on "No More Heroes" and my friend pulled himself up to his full 5'6" strode across an almost empty space, took the girl by the hand without a word, spun her onto the dance floor and proceeded to dance his socks off! Possibly feeling she had no option, the girl followed suit. The song stopped, he bowed, she slapped his face and stalked back to her table and a bunch of Agrics grabbed my friend and hoisted him shoulder high and, to a chorus of stomps, whistles and roars of approbation from all bar a table of three, they did several circuits of the dance floor.

Much to said friend's frustration it gave me the opening to strike up a delightful, but alas platonic, friendship with her for the remaining 6 or 7 months of the course.  She cut him dead every time they met.

RIP Dave Greenfield - No more heroes any more! :(
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Millie as if in My Boy Lollipop
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Florian Schneider (aus der Kraftwerken).

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Shame  :(

Cheers - Phil

Sandinista

The Stranglers version of Walk on By is easily the best version ever in my opinion, very sad to see yet another icon from my youth depart.

Cheers
Ian

flamingpig0

Quote from: Sandinista on 08 May 2020, 11:33:27 PM
The Stranglers version of Walk on By is easily the best version ever in my opinion, very sad to see yet another icon from my youth depart.

Cheers
Ian

Its rather alarming  for me to realise that I have been a Stranglers fan for over  forty years.

https://youtu.be/uue_XhSiq_s
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Techno

You should worry.  ;)

Some of my 'faves' have been going for over 50 years. :'( :'(

Cheers - The ancient one.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

87 is a reasonable innings Will but still sad news
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

What a character, left a great legacy and had a good innings as well.

Techno

A real character.  :(

Cheers - Phil

Peterem

Not exactly a household name, but I bet most people on this forum have at least one of his books. Just found out that Didier Davin, the foremost French authority on armies and uniforms of the French Republic and Empire, died suddenly at the end of March. Only 62 too, so younger than me!.

Steve J