Down Styphon! - worth it for the background fluff?

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 10 January 2020, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Just coming back on deck and I was looking at a 'what-if' gunpowder fantasy campaign to get my juices flowing.

I remember these rules from decades and decades ago and although the rules themselves would be dated I seem to remember they had some background fluff including descriptions of troops and colours etc.

Now when I look for them, they are for sale at outrageous prices and I was just wondering if anybody could confirm the content for me, so I can justify to myself the extravagance of buying them.

Otherwise I'll have to fall back on Lemuria with European adventurers mixing it up with Moghuls, Tamils, Malays etc.  :D :D

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

petercooman

petercooman

Also the boardgamegeek entry has pictures of th pages, so maybe check to see if what you are looking for is in there. There is a map and drawings of soldiers there:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/23425/down-styphon

That is, if we are talking about the same one :)

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: petercooman on 11 January 2020, 12:08:06 AM
the company still sells it for 4$ if i'm not mistaken:

https://www.fantasygamesunlimited.net/product/down-styphon/

Hello

Yes I have emailed them and I'm waiting on a reply. Will let people know what happens.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 10 January 2020, 11:23:18 PM
Hi

Just coming back on deck and I was looking at a 'what-if' gunpowder fantasy campaign to get my juices flowing.

I remember these rules from decades and decades ago and although the rules themselves would be dated I seem to remember they had some background fluff including descriptions of troops and colours etc.

Now when I look for them, they are for sale at outrageous prices and I was just wondering if anybody could confirm the content for me, so I can justify to myself the extravagance of buying them.

Otherwise I'll have to fall back on Lemuria with European adventurers mixing it up with Moghuls, Tamils, Malays etc.  :D :D

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Someting of a tangent.
Nicholas Wright's excellent Irregular Wars blog mentioned him playing about with a fantasy version of irregular wars.
This has back in June '19 and no mention since.

It seems he's a man who likes to add goblins to his semi-historical settings.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2019/06/10mm-steppe-goblin-horde.html

My own efforts to mix Fantasy with Pike and Shot involve Dragon Rampant around the Indian Ocean.
* Firearms are as heavy shot (or scouts if wielded by elusive locals).
* Warbands are based on historical nations.
* The Fantasy is supplied by the contingents recruiting local myths, legends or superstitions" to fight alongside them.
    The European explorers typically call upon saints or heraldic beasts, the Chinese have dragons and animated temple dogs, others have local were-creatures, sentient wildlife, resurrected ancient heroes, shamans and mythical beasts.

Good luck with your own venture.

Shedman

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 11 January 2020, 12:42:47 PM
Someting of a tangent.
Nicholas Wright's excellent Irregular Wars blog mentioned him playing about with a fantasy version of irregular wars.
This has back in June '19 and no mention since.

It seems he's a man who likes to add goblins to his semi-historical settings.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2019/06/10mm-steppe-goblin-horde.html

My own efforts to mix Fantasy with Pike and Shot involve Dragon Rampant around the Indian Ocean.
* Firearms are as heavy shot (or scouts if wielded by elusive locals).
* Warbands are based on historical nations.
* The Fantasy is supplied by the contingents recruiting local myths, legends or superstitions" to fight alongside them.
    The European explorers typically call upon saints or heraldic beasts, the Chinese have dragons and animated temple dogs, others have local were-creatures, sentient wildlife, resurrected ancient heroes, shamans and mythical beasts.

Good luck with your own venture.

Sounds good, I've collected some Thai bronze amulets for a similar idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-Statue-Naga-3-head-LP-Talisman-Thai-Amulet-Fortune-Attract-wealth-succeed/293408513635?hash=item4450829e63:g:4WgAAOSw19NdufYd
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vishnu-Narai-Song-GARUDA-Thai-Amulet-Talisman-Buddha-success-life-progressive/292601817196?hash=item44206d686c:g:SsEAAOSwHPNbHqc4

and Chinese dragons, etc.

steve_holmes_11

Spectacular bronzes Grumpy.

I've resorted to Ebay for bracelet charms for some of my obscure stuff.
Awful brittle metal, and an absolute nightmare to get paint to stick.

Don't even mention the misery of trying to snip away the ring.
Shrapnel that will "ave someone's eye out".
Meanwhile my  Mermaids all have greenstuff beehive haircuts to hide the mess.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

FGU has replied and told me that they have sold out if physical copies but are hoping to have a pdf available. I'll let you know if it surfaces.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

sunjester

Quote from: Shedman on 11 January 2020, 03:35:41 PM
That brings back some memories - Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age, Space Opera and Bunnies And Burrows

Excellent stuff

I have fond, if distant, memories of Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age, didn't FGU also produce Archworld, which was another fantasy set with gunpowder.

flamingpig0

I am part of a sub-group of humanity that derive pleasure from reading wargame rules and managed to snag a copy of Down Styphon from e-bay a few years back. I would say it is worth it
for the fluff but it is  a slim volume and the rules are very much of their time
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

pierre the shy

Quote from: sunjester on 14 January 2020, 08:41:42 AM
I have fond, if distant, memories of Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age, didn't FGU also produce Archworld, which was another fantasy set with gunpowder.

And Chivalry & Sorcery, the best RPG set ever IMHO - I hate to think how many hours the RPG group I was part of in the 80's and 90's spent playing them....still got my very well used 1st edition copy in my bookshelf  ;)     
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.