War of the Pacific 1879-84: Did you buy the figures and if so why?

Started by Trebian, 09 January 2020, 04:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trebian

Been chatting to Leon since he put the link for my rules up on the South American page. He was wondering why people buy the range. Is it because of a deep abiding interest in the period, out of curiosity or to make up an "imagination" or is there some other reason?

Come on folks, let us know!

Trebian

paulr

Leon very kindly did me a special order of 6 cavalry from this range, from 3 different packs, it wasn't even 2 from each :-[

I used them for the German Asia Korps Cavalry squadron in Palestine in 1917 :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Trebian

Looks to me like you owe Leon a proper order from this range then, out of common decency.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nik Harwood did paint them and post them on the forum many years ago...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Quote from: Trebian on 11 January 2020, 04:59:25 PM
Looks to me like you owe Leon a proper order from this range then, out of common decency.

Paulr and his group put on big games in NZ so these were part of a large WWI project they were doing, so just proxies for other troop types. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Judging by the sheer number of 10mm figures that Paul and myself have purchased from Pendraken since 2014 I think we have "done our bit" to ensure that the company continues to do well :)

I hope your rules do really well Trebian, but as has been mentioned previously since our group of "Saturday night regulars" has been gaming for many years we just don't have the capacity to start another period/ruleset as we barely have enough time to play with all the stuff we already have.   
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

streetgang

I have a question regarding this range and other Pendraken figures (I will probably post this query elsewhere).

Years ago, I ordered army packs from this range when they were first released and even painted some http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=265218

I recently picked up Trebian's Its Getting a Bit Chile (IGaBC)rules and really like the system and concepts. I have a 4" grid desert game mat and even my figures are based in a manner that will work with IGaBC...its almost fate!

Its been so many years since I bought the packs, alot of the figures are mixed up in unlabeled bags. I will need to order more packs to get suitably sized IGaBC armies nut would also like to find out if there are any figures from other ranges that could be used so that I have some more poses and variety on my bases (especially for my Peruvians and Chileans).

It seems the Chilean uniforms were heavily influenced by French uniforms. Does Pendraken have any figures in the French 19th century ranges that would be in kepi and frock coat or kepi and jacket? I imagine one could make the "Atacama" battalion from French in greatcoats.

What figure codes from the War of the Pacific (and other ranges) do others use to make their Peruvian and Chilean armies? I should probably state that I plan to collect armies for the initial campaigns when the Bolivians were still in the war. Thanks for any input and apologies if I rambled thru my post!

2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!

Trebian

Quotemy figures are based in a manner that will work with IGaBC...its almost fate!

@streetgang: I originally based my figures for NT's rules, so not a surprise your figures will work for the rules. It was my frustration with the 19th century rules not giving me a south american result that ended up with IGABC being written. I've had a look at the figure pictures on the Pendraken website for FPW & ACW and I fear that the figures, whilst having the right headgear, are to my mind much to heavily laden with packs and bedrolls to be of any use for the Pacific War.

@pierre the shy: I didn't quite understand your post. You're a wargamer and you think you don't need to start any new periods? No. Don't understand that at all.  :D . To be honest, I've got figures that haven't been used for a while. One game we played recently used figures I hadn't had on the table for 30 years. That's unusual, but a 5 year hiatus isn't.