Irregular Wars "Stuff"

Started by steve_holmes_11, 08 January 2020, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

I think I've IDd a few genuine gaps that would provide for a number of Irregular Wars forces.

In the Americas:

Woodland Indians with Bow.
Woodland indians with club/tomahawk. (Shot are very much the minority at this point in time)
A native american with a "long spear" - appears among the southern Mexicans, Mississippi Indians and (with pikes) among the Mapuche.

An Africa:

An "Armoured lancer", I interpret this as the type with both horse and man in padded armour.

Among the maritime Europeans

Figures to fill out the "adventurer" and "volunteer" bases.
A mix of armed gentlemen in their finery, lower classes as militia and armed sailors.
Arms should include cold steel, pistols and arquebus.

Foot soldiers with polearms / long spears.
These had certain advantages over pikes in the new world.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Maybe for the African cavalry you could proxy the TB line Mongol Heavy cavalry when they become available:-

Agree with you about the native Americans.

For the Maritime Europeans, I imagine you've had a look at the Pirates, Early 16th C. English/Scots, Elizabethans (Irish?) and ECW (the pikes are shorter with these.)

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

steve_holmes_11

Those Mongol Lancers are quite a good match for the Africans (Splendid looking chaps - superb hats)
I suspect two difficulties:
  The elaborate hats - headgear is awfully distinctive on bunches of 10 and 6mm figures.
  I'm guesing that the Mongols carry a bow and quiver - I'm rather rubbish at filing those details off.

I'm wondering whether the Sarmatian or the Late Roman cataphracts might be an easier conversion.

I had a quick nose about all the ranges you mentioned for the Maritime Europeans.
There are essentially three grades of fighter who don't quite fit.

Gentleman Adventurers: The leaders and financial backers of an expedition, and their bodyguards.
I'm thinking of men in fine clothes (Some of the League of Ausberg range would paint up nicely for this) equipped with a mix of swords, halberds, pistols and the occasional long-arm.

Volunteers: Soldiers of Fortune, or the sailors from the adventuring fleet.
The pirates aren't bad, but would ideally be mixed with a few other types.
Some of the recent Irish Elizabethans might be useful as might some dismounted dragoons.
Once again I'd expect a mix of weapons: Swords, muskets, halberds or half-pikes.
I wouldn't expect these to have much in the way of armour - through some volunteers might be well equipped, and a bunch of jolly jack tars might be rather scruffy.

Specific footsoldier types.
There's often a small number of reliable units with spears, polearms, pike or sword and buckler.
Pike or sword and buckler are easy finds.
Spears could be a cut-down pike.
The tricky one is the polearms company.

Techno

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 January 2020, 01:29:58 AM
I'm guessing that the Mongols carry a bow and quiver - I'm rather rubbish at filing those details off.

Is it worth considering a Dremmel/mini-drill and some appropriate sized burrs, Steve ?
A bit of green stuff for repairs ?

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Is that how you repair your fingers, with green stuff  :-\ ;D ;D ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Mmm, those lancers look rather classy. I modelled some of my imperial Abyssinian army on those, in fact, using IM figures for the Negus' guards and Pendraken Sarmatians for feudal nobles.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: paulr on 17 January 2020, 08:52:46 AM
Is that how you repair your fingers, with green stuff  :- ;D ;D ;D

No, Paul.

I use red Sylmasta A+B and Zap 'superglue'....that way, you don't notice the blood. ;)

Cheers - Phil

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 17 January 2020, 08:43:56 AM
Is it worth considering a Dremmel/mini-drill and some appropriate sized burrs, Steve ?
A bit of green stuff for repairs ?

Cheers - Phil

Could be my lack of skill at fault here.
I have a Dremel type tool, but my efforts at cleaning casts using the burrs have been rather destructive.
There's generally a loss of control, and a deep gash across the surface of the cast.

I've also not found a reliable method to secure the subject figure at 10mm type scales.
There's the danger of squeezing the life out of it.

Techno

Wot I do, Steve.....

Is stick the model to a wine cork with a blob of green stuff, whether I'm working on a dolly to make a new model, or converting a metal master.

Once it's set, the cork's perfect as  something to hold.....And if I need to, I can 'Dremmel away' to my heart's content.

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Two probs there Phil, cant afford wine with corks, and I'd get an attack of greens if I used corks....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 17 January 2020, 02:20:01 PM
Wot I do, Steve.....

Is stick the model to a wine cork with a blob of green stuff, whether I'm working on a dolly to make a new model, or converting a metal master.

Once it's set, the cork's perfect as  something to hold.....And if I need to, I can 'Dremmel away' to my heart's content.

Cheers - Phil

Tip much appreciated Phil.

The forum has been extremely helpful to me since I joined.
Always useful, always gratefully received.

paulr

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 January 2020, 05:15:00 PM
The forum has been extremely helpful to me since I joined.
Always useful, always gratefully received.

Seconded :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 17 January 2020, 04:44:39 PM
Two probs there Phil, cant afford wine with corks, and I'd get an attack of greens if I used corks....

:)

As far as corks are concerned....

I buy packs of 30 of them a time from anywhere that does 'home brew' equipment stuff.....Think the last time they were about £3 for the 30.
Next time, I'll probably order them from somewhere online.

Cheers - Phil

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Not dead - just sleeping.

I'm maintaining a level of interest here, just not posting much.

I have taken a deep dive through the lists and mapped out who fought who.
By dividing the world (at least, the bits that might interest me)  into 3 regions and 8 subregions, I found a few trends.

The "Portuguese hemisphere" typically has one or two colonists and a broader range of locals.
Colonists tend to fight locals and each other.
There is friction between locals, but on a fairly limited basis.

The "Spanish Hemisphere" has most subregions with one type of local, but several colonists.
Mexico and surrounds is the exception with plenty of local conflict but just the Spanish arriving by boat.
(The rest of the Colonial powers preferred to take their loot direct from the Spanish fleet, making the Caribbean a fascinating location.

I've also started a new job, and the time involved is distracting me from playtesting and matching units to Pendraken's catalogue.