Irregular Wars "Stuff"

Started by steve_holmes_11, 08 January 2020, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

These are the two maps I created to show the relative locations of the many forces detailed in Irregular Wars.

The first is a European map, this is stylistically similar to the one used for the cover of the rules

The second is a 17th Century world map - there are probably ones I am less sure about location on here, so any corrections are welcome
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

Excellent Maps.

On the world map I thin you have the Songhai and East Africans Transposed.
South America, I'm less secure on on my locations, but think that the Mapuche should be furthest south.
Your placement of the European colonists around Java and South China seas is impressive - spot on.

Such a map has its limitations, I'm thinking of the Colonial Portuguese and to a lesser extent the eastern pirates.
To borrow form Blackadder's Flash "Whoof!! Where Haven't we been?".

steve_holmes_11

A quick skim over the Pendraken Catalogue late last night showed up a few useful generic figures.

Classical, Greek: Javelinmen GRE10 - A chap with a tunic and a javelin

Classical Indian: Forest Tribes AI11 - Bow and Javelins with lovely headdresses - potential proxies for South American Amazon, Caribbean.
Classical Indian: Indian Archer AI9 - Less flamboyant headgear - lower class archers for Amazonian and Caribbean.

Punic, Carthage: Light Archer ACR4 - Bare head, tunic and bow.
Punic, Carthage: Numidian Cavalry ACR7 - for cultures who preferred their young warriors on horseback.

E. Imperial, Sarmatian: Unarmoured Lancers ASA4 - Guy on horse with long pointed stick, very flexible - wears trousers, which may limit re-use if you're really fussy.

There are a host of useful figures among the Dark Age Arabs, Medieval Mongols and Late Europeans and Renaissance Ranges.

18th Century - Some useful figures in the Pirate, French and Indian and '45 Jacobite ranges.

A few later figures may prove useful.

19th Centure: Americas - Plains War

Colonial: Mutineers, Zulus, Sudanese and NW Frontier

4 sets with potential, but no photographs - can anybody assist?

19th Century, Americas, War of the Pacific: Ragged Foot SAP4

WW1 East Africa: Ruga Ruga NEA2
WW1 East Africa: Masai Spears NEA3
WW1 East Africa: Porters NEA4

Nick the Lemming

Incas are in Peru, they're way up too high on that map. Amazonians should be a bit more east too. Mapuche should cover Chile / Argentina.

fred.

Thanks Nick and Steve for the corrections. Not sure how I transposed the East Africans and Songai on the world map, and got them right on the European one. The South Americans need a fair bit of moving around - unfortunately I can't find the editable version of the map, so will keep looking for that for a while, rather than having to re-key all the names on the original.

Steve, good work on digging around the figure ranges - I forgotten about the Indian Mutiny ones, but they have a lot who look like generically useful figures.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Mapuche, only conquered by the Chileans in 1880, when they brought machine guns!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 10 January 2020, 11:00:09 AM
4 sets with potential, but no photographs - can anybody assist?

19th Century, Americas, War of the Pacific: Ragged Foot SAP4

WW1 East Africa: Ruga Ruga NEA2
WW1 East Africa: Masai Spears NEA3
WW1 East Africa: Porters NEA4

Masai

Rugga Rugga

Porters

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

steve_holmes_11

Thanks Grumpy.
A picture certainly does illustrate a thousand words.

The Masai being in full regalia - masks 'n' all limits their flexibility a little, through I see them making fine shaman figures (Alas just one or none per army required).

I think I can convince myself that those rugga rugga are weilding matchlocks.
That fills in a lot of gaps among the west and east Africans, and may supply some good cimaroons for the Americas.

The Porters probably need a bit of conversion if they're to travel beyond the Congo basin.
Maybe a bit of crude carving of those rather neat packs would do the trick.
A couple of pack llamas wouldn't hurt either.

Steve J

Love the maps and as others have said, the Songhai empire was in West Africa. For the Songhai troops a mix of the Afghan range and Indian Mutiny figures would work well, based upon my time living in Nigeria.

fred.

Glad you like the maps Steve - I will have to find the original and correct the world one.

And thanks all for the pointers for the figures - an order for half a dozen or so packs placed today.

steve_holmes_11

A huge Thank You to everybody who has contributed to this thread.

I'm now convinced that 10mm has the figure ranges for Irregular Wars.
I also think that figures smaller than 15mm provide potential for attractive diorama bases - the doet of thing that players of Impetus rave about.

I'm currently wavering on a couple of decisions.

30mm square bases or 40mm square.

This is the big one - and it boils down to "Bigger armies or more variety of armies".
It'll be a personal choice.
Smaller bases don't necessarily represent a great economy, since purchasing figures by the 30 (or 15 mounted) may generate a lot of unused surplus.
I'm entertaining the idea of marking unit strength with a 7mm mini-die, and worry that this might consume too much of a 30mm square base.

I can help myself by "crunching the numbers" on base count for various armies.
Some of the subcontinental Indian forces, for example, could yield a massive army if the commander opted to go heavy on the levy.
An all-Spanish Conquistador force would be tiny by comparison.

Which armies to collect.

This is the open ended one.
I've already covered Portugal and the East Indies with a different scale and ruleset.
I don't necessarily see a benefit in repeating the exercise with smaller figures.
There are plenty of compelling alternatives, each with its own distinct character.

I think I'll return to painting the lead mountain while I contemplate those two big decisions.

paulr

Don't forget that Leon is usually happy to do part packs etc, at a slight premium

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15349.msg223223.html#msg223223
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: paulr on 12 January 2020, 01:24:51 AM
Don't forget that Leon is usually happy to do part packs etc, at a slight premium

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15349.msg223223.html#msg223223

I think I had seen that before, noted it and then totally forgotten it.
Many thanks for a very handy reminder.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Just another thought, how about Vietnam porter's for Asian armies.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 13 January 2020, 09:33:18 PM
Hello

Just another thought, how about Vietnam porter's for Asian armies.

Excellent idea.
Takes me back to my 15mm Malays, when I co-opted a bunch of Vietnamese civilians to serve as my village elder / shaman.